Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

old post about grease leaked into wheel...

Old 09-18-2008, 07:44 PM   #1
linkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud of

Name: link the stink!
linkfeeney's Tacoma Gallery
old post about grease leaked into wheel...

someone here posted not too long ago something about a when rotated tires, they notice grease were everywhere on one of the wheels...and notice an axle have a problem...

anyone remember???
Old 09-18-2008, 07:45 PM   #2
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
I think a few people have experienced that, myself included.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:46 PM   #3
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

As far as I know it was 1st gen trucks, but I could've missed something.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:49 PM   #4
linkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud oflinkfeeney has much to be proud of

i believe that person had an 08 or an 09... pretty new.
I hope it does not happen to me, but I want to see what to look for to cover my ass
Old 09-18-2008, 07:50 PM   #5
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkfeeney View Post
i believe that person had an 08 or an 09... pretty new.
I hope it does not happen to me, but I want to see what to look for to cover my ass
i think the person you were talking about had a split in their cv boot. its pretty rare to happen on new trucks...his was just a fluke i think. or something caught it while he was driving.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:55 PM   #6

In my case, oil leaked into the brake drums, and down the back side of the wheels. Axle oil seals need replaced and I'm sure the differential breather has something to do with it too.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:56 PM   #7
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy4Life View Post
In my case, oil leaked into the brake drums, and down the back side of the wheels. Axle oil seals need replaced and I'm sure the differential breather has something to do with it too.
hey Chad....have you did the diff breather extension mods to your truck yet?? i gotta do mine sometime soon.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
hey Chad....have you did the diff breather extension mods to your truck yet?? i gotta do mine sometime soon.
No, not yet. I havn't replaced the oil seals yet either. I told my wife and sister to get me a gift card to Advanced Auto so I could take care of the breather, seals, and a couple other little odds and ends.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:01 PM   #9

Quote:
No, not yet. I havn't replaced the oil seals yet either. I told my wife and sister to get me a gift card to Advanced Auto so I could take care of the breather, seals, and a couple other little odds and ends.
when you do the diff breather mods......do a write up...that would be cool man. i gotta get the part numbers for the stuff so i mod my diffs, tranny, and transfer case too. im gonna play on the safe side.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
when you do the diff breather mods......do a write up...that would be cool man. i gotta get the part numbers for the stuff so i mod my diffs, tranny, and transfer case too. im gonna play on the safe side.
I'll try to do that. I've seen different write-ups utilizing different parts, but I think an original write would be cool for TW.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:07 PM   #11

Quote:
I'll try to do that. I've seen different write-ups utilizing different parts, but I think an original write would be cool for TW.
hell yeah, and we can get it stickied for the first gen forum too.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:09 PM   #12

I was gonna do a write up for the Toytec install, but never did get around to it.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:10 PM   #13

Quote:
anyone remember???
Sorry link, for taking over your thread.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:11 PM   #14

Quote:
I was gonna do a write up for the Toytec install, but never did get around to it.
i was gonna do a write up for installing goodridge g-stop front and rear braided lines, and replacing leaf springs which i have sitting in my floor now, but im hurting so damn bad now, im letting a buddy of mine with a shop do all that for me.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:15 PM   #15

is cool, I wish i know more of do it myself stuff, but no one of you jalopies live in south jersey, guess I gotta do it solo!
Old 09-18-2008, 08:22 PM   #16

Quote:
is cool, I wish i know more of do it myself stuff, but no one of you jalopies live in south jersey, guess I gotta do it solo!
I was born in Jersey, but havn't been there in 25 years!
Old 09-19-2008, 08:38 AM   #17

dont come here unless u have it... NJ will tax the living hell out of you!!
and tolls too... man I want out of NJ
Old 09-19-2008, 02:23 PM   #18
dizrick is on a distinguished road

dizrick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
someone here posted not too long ago something about a when rotated tires, they notice grease were everywhere on one of the wheels...and notice an axle have a problem...

anyone remember???
I had my front axle replaced after I rotated the tires on my 2008 Tacoma.
While I had the truck in the air and the tires off, I noticed grease on the back of my passenger side tire and all over the components around it, ball joints, brake caliper, etc. I didn't notice a cut in the cv boot and when I took it to the dealer to have it looked at, they ordered a new axle for me and kept the truck. When I picked it up I asked what had happened to it and the service guy told me he didn't know. I was in a hurry so I didn't bother making him find out. I looked at the receipt and all it says is the axle was replaced.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:17 PM   #19

wow, how many miles did u have before u rotate those tires?
Old 09-20-2008, 02:16 AM   #20
dizrick is on a distinguished road

dizrick's Tacoma Gallery
I rotate the tires when the oil gets changed, every 5000 miles. There were 10000 miles on the truck when I saw the grease. I have looked a couple of times since (truck has 13000 miles now) and everything looks clean.