Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

some advice for double dins!!??

Old 03-25-2011, 04:44 AM   #1
guerrero1 is on a distinguished road
Name: MIKE
guerrero1's Tacoma Gallery
some advice for double dins!!??

new to the site, got my tacoma in 07 and i think its time i finaly did some stuff to it. already tinted windows to 5%(pics soon)..

next thing i wanna get is the double din, but not too sure which ones are good..looking for something thats dvd/navi and will perform well at a fair price.if you guys can throw some advice my way and some pics then that will be great.thank you
Old 03-25-2011, 05:01 AM   #2
Rbohno is a jewel in the roughRbohno is a jewel in the roughRbohno is a jewel in the rough

Name: Richard
Rbohno's Tacoma Gallery
Crutchfield is the ticket, I talked to them yesterday and they have double din nav units starting at $500.
Their customer service and tech support is second to none.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:05 AM   #3
xsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shedxsvtoyz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: AL
xsvtoyz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbohno View Post
Crutchfield is the ticket, I talked to them yesterday and they have double din nav units starting at $500.
Their customer service and tech support is second to none.
good advise and most of the time they toss in the install harness too never cut up the factory plug ins!
Old 03-25-2011, 05:30 AM   #4
ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!
Bama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bama_TACO's Tacoma Gallery
I will say that Crutchfield has some of the best customer service I have ever used. However, you will pay more with them and some would argue that you get what you pay for. I agree to an extent, but I bought my Pioneer Avic-X920BT double din from Amazon. At the time it was 30% off and then had a $100 rebate, so I ended up giving like $483 for a stereo that was originally $829.

As for advice on the which one to get....I love my Avic. It has Nav, Plays DVD for my little boy, and connects to my Ipod. I installed an Alpine in my dad's F150 with the same features and it is nice too, but cost considerably more.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:00 AM   #5
guerrero1 is on a distinguished road
Name: MIKE
guerrero1's Tacoma Gallery
thanks everybody for the input, i would also like to be able to plug an ipod and also an sd card...but what i notice is that some of the double dins are the same but the model numbers are different?is there a specific reason for that.??

thanks for the suggestion please keep them comeing=)
Old 03-25-2011, 08:33 AM   #6
ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!
Bama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The Pioneer Avic-X920BT that I have will accept a SD card and it will connect to an Ipod. Different model numbers have different features. Check out the manufacturers website to see a comparison.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:38 AM   #7
PhillyTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhillyTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhillyTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhillyTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhillyTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhillyTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhillyTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhillyTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhillyTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhillyTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhillyTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: 5 Squad
Name: Chris
PhillyTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
i have the pioneer avic Z-120 bt in my truck and love it. Definitely check out Crutchfield, and never take your truck to best buy ect for install unless you want some high school kid hacking your dash with a machete (mental image)
Old 03-25-2011, 10:18 AM   #8
ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhk View Post
#1: I recommend that you get a header that does **NOT** have a flip-up screen. Save some money by keeping it simple and reliable.

#2: I recommend the METRA dash kit. For DDIN, it uses the stock metal header mounting brackets. Other kits include their own PLASTIC mounting brackets which are not as good.

I'm still waiting on parts for mine, kenwood DNX-6960. The parts that have arrived so far are only the ones that I ordered from crutchfield (dash kit -- was in my door the day after I ordered it!!!). The rest of the parts I ordered through amazon, expected to be another week and a half.....

Still waiting on the wiring harness, steering wheel interface, and the actual header unit. Oh well, first road trip to be on the 19th of April, so should be plenty of time
I used the Scosche kit and used the metal rails from my factory radio. Worked really well and looks great.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:46 AM   #9
zxtaco636 is a name known to allzxtaco636 is a name known to allzxtaco636 is a name known to allzxtaco636 is a name known to allzxtaco636 is a name known to allzxtaco636 is a name known to all

zxtaco636's Tacoma Gallery
I have done a few systems in the past, I haven't done one in my Tacoma yet but that is only cause I have only had it 3 days now. In my opinion you can't go wrong wit Pioneer headunits. I think they sound the best and perform the best. I am currently looking the the AVH4300DVD model from Pioneer. The downside for what you want is it does not come with nav but you can buy the expansion that gives you nav as an option.

Also to answer your question about different model numbers but the same looking unit... It could simple be that one is the newer model but they only changed something small like the generation of iPod that can be used with it. I hope that made sense.