Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tinting over existing tint

Old 09-18-2008, 11:21 PM   #1
billabonghotrod is on a distinguished road
billabonghotrod's Tacoma Gallery
Tinting over existing tint

My front windows have 35% tint on them already. I want to get them down to 15% or somewhere around there. Would I need to put 50% on it to make that happen. Just want to make sure before I order the tint and it not be dark enough or be too dark.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:25 PM   #2
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
I think most remove the first tint and retint in the gradient the you want. This way, you have just a single layer of film over the window and it detracts less from optical clarity.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:42 AM   #3
San Antonio Detailer :)
Anthony will become famous soon enough
Anthony's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Anthony
only tint over factory tinted window... where the tint is inside the glass. you need to remove the tint from your doors... do not tint over them.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:17 AM   #4
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
I tinted over my back windows that already had it on there and one side peeled off! So I wold recomend just taking off your first layer then just getting whatever % you want.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:19 AM   #5
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
+1 not worth it to pay money to see your new tint fall off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
only tint over factory tinted window... where the tint is inside the glass. you need to remove the tint from your doors... do not tint over them.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:41 PM   #6
San Antonio Detailer :)
Anthony will become famous soon enough
Anthony's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Anthony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
remember folks, difference between a factory tinted window and windows that your dealer had tinted.
2 different things were talking about here.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:48 AM   #7
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Good call on all- If there is flim in there already it WILL fail at some point. If you tint over it with new flim the new stuff will be good for longer- but will fall off when the old falls off and you will be redoing it all over again.

I've heard soda water works well to get the old adhesive off...and I'll be trying in my scion sometime in the near future.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:57 AM   #8
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Or you can just have a shop take it off. At the shop I went to it was free and to match the front windows it was $70.