Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Newbie with gen 1 tacoma wanting to upgrade to 2nd

Old 03-26-2011, 01:31 AM   #1
Tdubliture is on a distinguished road
Name: Tyler
Tdubliture's Tacoma Gallery
Newbie with gen 1 tacoma wanting to upgrade to 2nd

Ok so I have a 2001 4 door limited tacoma. I have loved driving it but it is time to upgrade to a used 2nd gen. My questions are:
Is the 4.0 motor as good as the 3.4?
Alot more power?
I wanna tow a 3500 lb enclosed trailer. is this my best option?
What's the milage like?
What are some common problems with this motor?
What years or "packages" should I avoid?
When shopping for used, is there anything I should know or look for?
Stick or auto?
Last but not least.
What color is the fastest?

Oh and how much should I list mine for. It has 165000 miles with no issues, a banging sound system with DVD and nav, 2in lift with nice 18" rims and 33" tires
Old 03-26-2011, 07:15 AM   #2
bcroach78 is on a distinguished road
Army: EOD
bcroach78's Tacoma Gallery
Blue is the fastest, thats why they call it speedway blue . Manual or auto is your persoanl choice IMO. I would like manual but the wife is not so good, so I went with auto. Ive never driven the 3.4, but the 4.0 has 230 or so HP not sure the exact tourque number in my head, but if you get a SC then you will sure have more power to love!! I am also not to familiar with specific years or models having specific problems.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:21 AM   #3
myname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant future

myname150's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcroach78 View Post
Blue is the fastest, thats why they call it speedway blue . Manual or auto is your persoanl choice IMO. I would like manual but the wife is not so good, so I went with auto. Ive never driven the 3.4, but the 4.0 has 230 or so HP not sure the exact tourque number in my head, but if you get a SC then you will sure have more power to love!! I am also not to familiar with specific years or models having specific problems.
266 lb-ft.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:44 AM   #4
jek3fl is on a distinguished road

Name: Joey
jek3fl's Tacoma Gallery
I tow a 3900lb travel trailer with mine. Couple tips. Get a weight distributing hitch and trailer brakes. I pulled without those for a while but after getting them it pulls 10x better.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:46 AM   #5
anethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: J
anethema's Tacoma Gallery
Make sure to get the towing package if you're going to be towing that trailer a lot. 3500 is the very edge of the normal non tow-package rating. Gives you a better alternator, bigger battery, class 4 hitch, oil and (if automatic) transmission cooler.

Other than that, pretty much a great engine. If manual you will likely have the throwout bearing issue but URD makes a great kit to fix that.

Other than that, reliable engine (so far) with plenty of power. Combined milage is usually around 17-19 (highway and city combined).
Old 03-26-2011, 08:52 AM   #6
krap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krap22's Tacoma Gallery
I just upgraded from a '99 to an '09. I had the 3.4L with manual trasmission. My '09 is the 4.0 with an automatic transmission. The Auto is VERY smooth with tons more power. Your looking at about a 46 hp increase.

I can't comment much on towing. My dad had an '04 and it towed 3500 lbs with little problems (just don't try to go 80+ down the interstate, the gas mileage sucks). I'm sure the 2nd Gens will tow it much better.

Barcelona Red is the Fastest. So far my mileage in the '09 isn't much different than the '99.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:34 PM   #7
Tdubliture is on a distinguished road
Name: Tyler
Tdubliture's Tacoma Gallery
Krap. Are you happy with your new truck?
Old 03-26-2011, 01:47 PM   #8
delrayrasta is a splendid one to beholddelrayrasta is a splendid one to beholddelrayrasta is a splendid one to beholddelrayrasta is a splendid one to beholddelrayrasta is a splendid one to beholddelrayrasta is a splendid one to behold

Name: Paul
delrayrasta's Tacoma Gallery
pfff the fastest is obviously Magnetic Gray Metallic FTW!!!!!
Old 03-26-2011, 10:02 PM   #9
krap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krap22's Tacoma Gallery
I am extremely happy with my new truck.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:21 PM   #10
Banned
Kingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Submarines-Sonar Tech
Kingfrog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdubliture View Post
Ok so I have a 2001 4 door limited tacoma. I have loved driving it but it is time to upgrade to a used 2nd gen. My questions are:
Is the 4.0 motor as good as the 3.4?
Alot more power?
I wanna tow a 3500 lb enclosed trailer. is this my best option?
What's the milage like?
What are some common problems with this motor?
What years or "packages" should I avoid?
When shopping for used, is there anything I should know or look for?
Stick or auto?
Last but not least.
What color is the fastest?

Oh and how much should I list mine for. It has 165000 miles with no issues, a banging sound system with DVD and nav, 2in lift with nice 18" rims and 33" tires
When shopping used look for a low mileage one owner stock truck. 3/4 years old would be your best bet for the least amount of depreciation going forward. Automatic.

White, Silver, or black are also the "fastest" colors because they are under the radar as most automobiles are these colors and blend in to traffic rather than stand out posing a nice target for the radar.......

Ideal buy would be an 08 with a year left on the factory warranty if possible. That is what I shopped for and ended up finding. Stock 08 with 24K miles "in service" 2 years. Oh and open the hood.I had my truck for three months before opening the hood to find a useless but expensive aftermarket "CAI" and TBS......You should be able to get an 08 for at least $7000 less than a new one.

IF you want a longer bed get the access cab. If you want more interior lockable storage get the DC. If you get the DCLB get some Limo driving lessons and have a deep garage and wide streets.

MPG is something that should not matter if you are looking at a 6cyl Tacoma.