Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

open diff?

Old 09-22-2008, 01:31 PM   #41
jtaco is on a distinguished road
jtaco's Tacoma Gallery
cant do the winch, the offroad bumper is already too much weight on front and i have to upgrade to 700lb coils for that. and it was the lightest one i could find.
i think i am going to go with tru trac. they have good results and last , and a company here in town can order them and install them. still alot of money but worth it i think. what do u mean selectable locker IMHO? u mean i can turn off on highway? who makes this?besides toyotas crappy way to expensive lsd.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:12 PM   #42
wushaw has a spectacular aura aboutwushaw has a spectacular aura about
wushaw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaco View Post
cant do the winch, the offroad bumper is already too much weight on front and i have to upgrade to 700lb coils for that. and it was the lightest one i could find.
i think i am going to go with tru trac. they have good results and last , and a company here in town can order them and install them. still alot of money but worth it i think. what do u mean selectable locker IMHO? u mean i can turn off on highway? who makes this?besides toyotas crappy way to expensive lsd.
A selectable locker is a locking rear/ft that is connected to a switch in the cab that has on/off switch...selectable.

You do not want to even think about running a locked rear or ft. on pavement, turning would be a real bitch.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:36 PM   #43
jtaco's Tacoma Gallery
ok well i have looked around and no one has a selectable for this truck except arb and toyota. will it really be that bad to put the tru trac on since it has no switch. they have had good results with it. will it cause more wear on tires? it is suppose to be the best for street in the auto locker world.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:50 PM   #44
Poodoo
luk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
If you dive sensibly you won't have any trouble with a locking rear diff. I don't know how old you are but the cars from the 60-80's used posi trac and were fine. Don't make a hard right or left turn and hammer on it. You will know and feel. You obviously have enough insite to ask questions before you make a step of this size so I will assume that you will be fine with the locking rear.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:42 PM   #45
jtaco's Tacoma Gallery
yea that is why i am asking so many, cause i dont have 1000 bucks just layin around for this. but with my health and siezures and headaches i just cant afford getting stuck out in the middle of no where when fishing or checkin around the river and what not. hhhhh, i just might have to go with arb. see then i have to worry about the air compressor goin out, it gettin damaged somehow, or simply wearing out over time. and im sure it will be out of warranty when it does shut down. i do drive sensibly im not a race car driver.plus getting these installed are way expensive around here, especially when if it has a switch that needs to be installed like arb does. well i really appreciate everyones input and knowledge, thanks so much guys. this is a great thread and i have learned alot. im writing arb and see what the best they can do me for.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:37 PM   #48
jtaco's Tacoma Gallery
yea , god its just hard to buy that and 900 bucks for the locker and then installation with a switch to install is gonna cost me out the @ss. how long do the compressors last? what if it gets wet or muddy?
Old 09-22-2008, 09:51 PM   #49
Poodoo
luk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
I would think they were extremely tuff. Look at the trucks they go on and the abuse they put them through. I wouldn't think getting wet would bother them, they are used very widely and on some serious rigs. The trails they are used on are very rough and I am sure there are water crossings. For what you need I belive almost anything you get would suffice. If you use a reputible company. ARB is well know and proven.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:11 PM   #50
jtaco's Tacoma Gallery
well im still waiting on a mail from tru trac and see what they say, i just have to take my time on this , i am not trust fund baby.