1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

open diff?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jtaco, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Sep 22, 2008 at 1:31 PM
    jtaco

jtaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07,trdOR,DC,4x4,v6,saw2.5s,OMEdakars,LRarms
    saw2.5s,AEMshortair,skyjackershocks,LRa-arms,OME dakars,Alpine,JL audio 6x9 3 way in front doors
    cant do the winch, the offroad bumper is already too much weight on front and i have to upgrade to 700lb coils for that. and it was the lightest one i could find.
    i think i am going to go with tru trac. they have good results and last , and a company here in town can order them and install them. still alot of money but worth it i think. what do u mean selectable locker IMHO? u mean i can turn off on highway? who makes this?besides toyotas crappy way to expensive lsd.

2. Sep 22, 2008 at 5:12 PM
    wushaw

wushaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 AC TRD 4x4 6sp
    A selectable locker is a locking rear/ft that is connected to a switch in the cab that has on/off switch...selectable.

You do not want to even think about running a locked rear or ft. on pavement, turning would be a real bitch.

3. Sep 22, 2008 at 5:36 PM
    jtaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    saw2.5s,AEMshortair,skyjackershocks,LRa-arms,OME dakars,Alpine,JL audio 6x9 3 way in front doors
    ok well i have looked around and no one has a selectable for this truck except arb and toyota. will it really be that bad to put the tru trac on since it has no switch. they have had good results with it. will it cause more wear on tires? it is suppose to be the best for street in the auto locker world.

4. Sep 22, 2008 at 5:50 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    If you dive sensibly you won't have any trouble with a locking rear diff. I don't know how old you are but the cars from the 60-80's used posi trac and were fine. Don't make a hard right or left turn and hammer on it. You will know and feel. You obviously have enough insite to ask questions before you make a step of this size so I will assume that you will be fine with the locking rear.

5. Sep 22, 2008 at 6:42 PM
    jtaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    yea that is why i am asking so many, cause i dont have 1000 bucks just layin around for this. but with my health and siezures and headaches i just cant afford getting stuck out in the middle of no where when fishing or checkin around the river and what not. hhhhh, i just might have to go with arb. see then i have to worry about the air compressor goin out, it gettin damaged somehow, or simply wearing out over time. and im sure it will be out of warranty when it does shut down. i do drive sensibly im not a race car driver.plus getting these installed are way expensive around here, especially when if it has a switch that needs to be installed like arb does. well i really appreciate everyones input and knowledge, thanks so much guys. this is a great thread and i have learned alot. im writing arb and see what the best they can do me for.

6. Sep 22, 2008 at 6:51 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    You just keep on asking the questions and we'll do our best to answer. Good luck.

7. Sep 22, 2008 at 8:31 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
  8. Sep 22, 2008 at 9:37 PM
    jtaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    yea , god its just hard to buy that and 900 bucks for the locker and then installation with a switch to install is gonna cost me out the @ss. how long do the compressors last? what if it gets wet or muddy?

9. Sep 22, 2008 at 9:51 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    I would think they were extremely tuff. Look at the trucks they go on and the abuse they put them through. I wouldn't think getting wet would bother them, they are used very widely and on some serious rigs. The trails they are used on are very rough and I am sure there are water crossings. For what you need I belive almost anything you get would suffice. If you use a reputible company. ARB is well know and proven.

10. Sep 22, 2008 at 10:11 PM
    jtaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    well im still waiting on a mail from tru trac and see what they say, i just have to take my time on this , i am not trust fund baby.

Products Discussed in

To Top