Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Front Receiver Project

Old 03-28-2011, 09:18 AM   #1
Money Pit
tacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant future

Name: Chase
tacoma89's Tacoma Gallery
Front Receiver Project

I wanted a front hitch to connect a multi mount winch or anything else it has use for so my friend and I went to work.

We used his rear receiver that he cut off his truck because he has an offroad bumper.

This made it really easy and i didn't have to get many materials to complete it.

Here are some pics of how it looks semi complete. I still need to grind on it some and then prep and paint it before it will be installed on the truck. In the pics it is not completely welded because we had a little electric fire come from the welder so we had to finish with a no name brand. This thing is heavy duty, probably weighs about 70 lbs.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:24 AM   #2
chrisman8995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchrisman8995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchrisman8995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchrisman8995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchrisman8995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchrisman8995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchrisman8995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchrisman8995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchrisman8995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchrisman8995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchrisman8995 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
chrisman8995's Tacoma Gallery
i like that. nice work fits flush with the bumper, if you weren't looking for it you probably wouldn't notice it at all. I would have to mess with folks though and but a ball on it just to ride around with. However on the down side i would really hate for you to hit me with that installed looks like it would do some major damage.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:25 AM   #3
6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nate
6spdtaco's Tacoma Gallery
NICE, could also be used as a hilift jack point.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:29 AM   #4
Money Pit
tacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant futuretacoma89 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisman8995 View Post
i like that. nice work fits flush with the bumper, if you weren't looking for it you probably wouldn't notice it at all. I would have to mess with folks though and but a ball on it just to ride around with. However on the down side i would really hate for you to hit me with that installed looks like it would do some major damage.
Thanks, my license plate will cover it so you won't even know it's there.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:28 AM   #5
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good man.

You saved serious coin by fabbing yourself vs. the CBI version.

One thing to look at, bot CBI and Relentless fab use additional side reinforcing plates to support the thing against a hard pull.

Kudos.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:57 AM   #6
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma89 View Post
I wanted a front hitch to connect a multi mount winch or anything else it has use for so my friend and I went to work.

We used his rear receiver that he cut off his truck because he has an offroad bumper.

This made it really easy and i didn't have to get many materials to complete it.

Here are some pics of how it looks semi complete. I still need to grind on it some and then prep and paint it before it will be installed on the truck. In the pics it is not completely welded because we had a little electric fire come from the welder so we had to finish with a no name brand. This thing is heavy duty, probably weighs about 70 lbs.

You sure those welds will hold atleast 8000 LB ?
Plus those tiny 4 bolts on each end?
I would plate those welds with side to side 1/4 plates plus add extra plates to bolt to frame.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:18 AM   #8
poynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tony
poynter's Tacoma Gallery
I want a setup like this so I can get a winch and a carrier without having it mounted all the time.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:22 AM   #9
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good. I'm doing the same thing this summer. It's a good idea to take a used hitch instead of building from scratch.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:42 AM   #10
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Poynter, check link in my sig for more info.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:15 PM   #11
Money Pit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
Looks good man.

One thing to look at, bot CBI and Relentless fab use additional side reinforcing plates to support the thing against a hard pull.

Kudos.

Thanks, it was a lot cheaper going this route for me

I am going to work on a side reinforcement when i come home next. it is still work in progress and i want to finish reinforcing it before i paint and install it.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:22 PM   #12
Money Pit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
You sure those welds will hold atleast 8000 LB ?
Plus those tiny 4 bolts on each end?
I would plate those welds with side to side 1/4 plates plus add extra plates to bolt to frame.
I am not done with the reinforcement of it yet. If you look at a Winch bumper it is attached to only those 4 bolts so i don't see it being much different as far as being able to handle the load.

It is the factory receiver from a 2nd gen tacoma
Old 03-28-2011, 12:27 PM   #13
Money Pit

Quote:
Poynter, check link in my sig for more info.
What gauge wire did you use for your winch?

I am trying to plan on how I am going to run the wire for the front and rear. I have a few ideas in mind but not sure what will work the best and be the easiest to use
Old 03-28-2011, 12:33 PM   #14
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
I'll check it later, but I *think* it's 2ga.

I ordered the WARN complete kit - so I didn't have to spec out the wire gauge separately.

http://www.warn.com/truck/mounting-s...nect_kit.shtml

To save coin, you'll definitely want to put it together on your own instead of ordering that WARN stuff, but even still, with the cost of copper, that wire by itself adds up, if you're running it far enough to also reach the rear of the truck.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:36 PM   #15
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Here's the CBI finished product -
Cross linking this CBI install thread for reference, since folks will find this thread later using search:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...h-install.html

(I also added a post in that thread pointing back to this one)
Old 03-28-2011, 12:46 PM   #16
Money Pit

Quote:
I'll check it later, but I *think* it's 2ga.

I ordered the WARN complete kit - so I didn't have to spec out the wire gauge separately.

http://www.warn.com/truck/mounting-s...nect_kit.shtml

To save coin, you'll definitely want to put it together on your own instead of ordering that WARN stuff, but even still, with the cost of copper, that wire by itself adds up, if you're running it far enough to also reach the rear of the truck.
I am going to get the quick connects from napa and then search for the cheapest place to get the wire. Do you have any pics of it connected to the battery?

Is it possible to ground to the frame in the front and back and then bring power from the battery for the front and rear. It would cut back on wire cost a lot that way.

Thanks for the link as well
Old 03-28-2011, 01:02 PM   #17
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
You want a dedicated ground wire for winching applications. Frame ground is fine for low power applications, but not for winching.

I'll try and add a pic of the battery, but it doesn't photograph well.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:12 PM   #18
Money Pit

ok so you have to use the battery for both.

For your setup do you just plug the winch in and your good to go or do you have to open up the hood and connect anything?
Old 03-28-2011, 08:22 PM   #19
Mr SGA
MrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Layne
MrFastLayne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Looks good man.

Kudos.
X2!
Old 03-28-2011, 08:58 PM   #20
Mr SGA
MrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Layne
MrFastLayne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma89 View Post
I am not done with the reinforcement of it yet. If you look at a Winch bumper it is attached to only those 4 bolts so i don't see it being much different as far as being able to handle the load.

It is the factory receiver from a 2nd gen tacoma
Look @ this reinforcement. I think it's a good idea!