Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

4 wheel not engaging

Old 09-20-2008, 07:48 AM   #1
sabian is on a distinguished road
sabian's Tacoma Gallery
4 wheel not engaging

Is any one experiencing this problem? I have an 08 taco, automatic 6cyl with just 2500 miles on it. When i try and shift into 4hi on the fly it will not engage. the icon on the dash flashes indicating it is not going in to 4 wheel. If i stop the truck it will engage. But repeated attempts fail when I try and engage while moving, and speed seems to have no effect.
I am hoping this is just a fluke but will probably call the " ugh "dealer on this. I just know that with my old taco it would connect to 4 wheel in an instant with no problems. Any clues? Also I have kind of an idiot question but what is the A cab B cab and C cab. I see this when trying to purchase new floor mats but don't know what cab sizes correspond to the letters. Thanks for any input
Old 09-20-2008, 07:54 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure why your 4hi isn engaugeing. But IIRC, "A cab" = Regular cab, "B cab" = ext. cab, "C cab" = quad cab.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:21 PM   #4
tdm156 is a jewel in the roughtdm156 is a jewel in the roughtdm156 is a jewel in the roughtdm156 is a jewel in the rough

tdm156's Tacoma Gallery
When Mine had 2500 miles on her and if I am in a steep incline and rough terrain and try to engage on the fly it just blinks at me until I stopped.....I tried it again the other day at slow speed and no incline and it engaged just fine....figured once I use it more it will probably get right but still I am going to ask next time by the stealer
Old 09-20-2008, 07:29 PM   #5
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
I had a blinking light problem when my 4 wheel drive wouldn't engage. It turned out to be the 4 wheel drive actuator. Toyota fixed it under warranty. What stinks is when it goes, sol until replaced & hopefully not when you are wheelin. Oh my truck had 15k when it went.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:36 PM   #6
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
i've dropped mine many times while driving at speeds...done it while stopped too...its weird that it wont lock in. only things i've seen about speed is to engage it under 65mph, i think
Old 09-20-2008, 07:48 PM   #7
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chicky Baby
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xedge View Post
Toyota fixed it under warranty.
What is the estimated cash value of that repair???
Old 09-20-2008, 11:03 PM   #8
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
when the light in mine flashes its actually engaged(i feel the torque steer and extra traction), though not fully i guess? to get the light to go solid just try to accelerate and then let off the throttle. if it doesnt work the first time then try a second and i almost guarantee it will go in all the way.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:31 PM   #9
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback07 View Post
how fast are you trying to do this?

if this was directed to me: in 1st or 2nd gear, somewhere between 5-20mph is preferable for engaging 4hi, however i've engaged it doing 45mph on the highway when it started getting snowy/icy and it still goes right in
Old 09-20-2008, 11:52 PM   #10
My other ride weighs 200 tons
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4x4x4trd's Tacoma Gallery
You also might try slight turning of the steering wheel side to side while engaging.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:31 AM   #11
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaster View Post
What is the estimated cash value of that repair???
well the r.o. show actuator $339 & some F.I.P.G. The actual hours were not documented on it. I'm not sure if you can just take it off the trans. On my older toyotas w/ add you could sometimes tap it or clean it. Since it was under warranty and read other actuator failures in 06s, I think the system is temperamental compared to past Toyotas I have owned.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:28 AM   #12
aaronk is on a distinguished road
aaronk's Tacoma Gallery
Mine will engage on the fly but it will take a little while to do so, and yes, I do let off the gas a bit when shifting in to 4HI. It will come out of 4HI quickly, but is slow to go in. Or at least slower than the Ford that I drive for work.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:09 PM   #13
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chicky Baby
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xedge View Post
well the r.o. show actuator $339 & some F.I.P.G. The actual hours were not documented on it. I'm not sure if you can just take it off the trans. On my older toyotas w/ add you could sometimes tap it or clean it. Since it was under warranty and read other actuator failures in 06s, I think the system is temperamental compared to past Toyotas I have owned.
Thats an expensive repair. I effin hate electronics just for that reason. Just to take you off track, the newer Case skid steers and Bobcat's are so full of electronics they decide when not to work and thereby take a day or two off. Kind of like calling in sick. I read in a Bobcat forum, the newer machines are down 35% of the time. The older models like mine run almost all the time since they contain no complex electronics. Imagine buying a machine for 60K and its dead 35% of the time? . How do you pay the bills if you are not working 35% of the time?
Old 09-22-2008, 05:39 AM   #14
Wag More Bark Less

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaster View Post
Thats an expensive repair. I effin hate electronics just for that reason. Just to take you off track, the newer Case skid steers and Bobcat's are so full of electronics they decide when not to work and thereby take a day or two off. Kind of like calling in sick. I read in a Bobcat forum, the newer machines are down 35% of the time. The older models like mine run almost all the time since they contain no complex electronics. Imagine buying a machine for 60K and its dead 35% of the time? . How do you pay the bills if you are not working 35% of the time?
I'm with you on electronics! 1/3 deadline rate? Thats missing a lot of work. Congrats on having the older model! Hopefully our trucks will not melt down so much but if they do the $880 deal from Troy on the Extended Warranty is worth it.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:24 AM   #15
lakewoodbilly will become famous soon enoughlakewoodbilly will become famous soon enough

Name: Bill
lakewoodbilly's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to lakewoodbilly
I sort if wish my new '08 had a manual transfer and hubs like my '91. Then I would never have to worry about them going south.