Notices

Painting Steel Wheels

Old 03-28-2011, 04:57 PM   #1
RiderOnTheStorm will become famous soon enough
Name: Brian
RiderOnTheStorm's Tacoma Gallery
Painting Steel Wheels

Hey!

So I think I'm days away from getting my first vehicle, my first Toyota, and my first Tacoma... I'm excited to say the least

I'm pretty sure I'll be getting a Black A/C with steel wheels and I was just curious on any recommendations on how to paint them... Powder coat? Spray Paint? Professionally blasted and painted? Oh and pics would be nice!
Old 03-28-2011, 05:04 PM   #2
badguybuster is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadguybuster is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadguybuster is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadguybuster is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadguybuster is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadguybuster is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadguybuster is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadguybuster is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadguybuster is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadguybuster is one of the sharper tools in the shedbadguybuster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police (95B)
badguybuster's Tacoma Gallery
There are tons of painting threads. It is pretty easy and cheap, plus easy to fix. You sand, use adhesion promotor, prime, sand some more, prime again (2-3) coats, paint (2-3) coats, then clear coats (2-3) coats. Powder coating is nice but chips and is expensive. Do a search on here. I used Duplo wheel paint.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:09 PM   #3
Make mine a Double!
skistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud of

Navy:
Name: Mike
skistoy's Tacoma Gallery
ask and you shall receive

Here's how i did it:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...rims-easy.html

they still look great today, havent touched up at all
Old 03-28-2011, 06:39 PM   #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by skistoy View Post

Here's how i did it:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...rims-easy.html

they still look great today, havent touched up at all
Thanks for the pic - your truck was actually my inspiration for going with steel wheels!
Old 03-28-2011, 06:42 PM   #5
Super Mod!
BlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
BlueTaco07's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderOnTheStorm View Post
Hey!

So I think I'm days away from getting my first vehicle, my first Toyota, and my first Tacoma... I'm excited to say the least

I'm pretty sure I'll be getting a Black A/C with steel wheels and I was just curious on any recommendations on how to paint them... Powder coat? Spray Paint? Professionally blasted and painted? Oh and pics would be nice!
Make sure you get a 4.5 backspacing or less for less problems with rubbing your uca's in the future
Old 03-28-2011, 07:23 PM   #7
Make mine a Double!
skistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud of

Navy:
Name: Mike
skistoy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderOnTheStorm View Post
Thanks for the pic - your truck was actually my inspiration for going with steel wheels!
thanks

had chrome rims on my other trucks

Decided to paint them before winter ( couple years ago )

but they turned out so good, havent looked for different rims

and once i put the Duratracs on , it was a done deal.

plus didnt have to mess with any back spacing, TPMS valves, etc.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:59 PM   #8
vierzwanzig is on a distinguished road
vierzwanzig's Tacoma Gallery
Wooo.... shes a work in progress...
Plasti-dip... not paint.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:06 AM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by vierzwanzig View Post
Wooo.... shes a work in progress...
Plasti-dip... not paint.

Do you have any other shots? I had trouble making out the detail on the wheels. That looks sweet though - and you kept the Toyota emblem silver, which was something I was considering. Looks sharp!!
Old 03-29-2011, 10:42 AM   #10
vierzwanzig is on a distinguished road
vierzwanzig's Tacoma Gallery
I actually painted the center cap white before I put the plasti-dip on there. Then all I did was peel away the black on the inside of the logo. I had a hell of a time with my first 2 caps because I sprayed the white on too thick and I scored the dip too deep with a razor, I chipped the white paint and it flaked off when I pealed the dip. Once I got the hang of it though they came out real nice.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:22 PM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by vierzwanzig View Post
I actually painted the center cap white before I put the plasti-dip on there. Then all I did was peel away the black on the inside of the logo. I had a hell of a time with my first 2 caps because I sprayed the white on too thick and I scored the dip too deep with a razor, I chipped the white paint and it flaked off when I pealed the dip. Once I got the hang of it though they came out real nice.

That looks so sick! Those wheels look 100x times better. What is plasti-dip though?