1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stupidity, laziness, and a differential don't mix

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by lawnrevenge, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Sep 20, 2008 at 11:42 AM
    lawnrevenge

lawnrevenge [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    08 regular cab 5-lug, automatic
    Decided to change my diff oil to synthetic. But being lazy I didn't pull the spare or use a pump. Instead I used a bendy straw wedged over the gearoil tip. Worked great until I went to add bottle #2 and tried to rest my cheap elbow tube in the hole!!!

So how can I get a plastic drinking straw out of my differential?

If I leave it in (being soft plastic and just let the gears chew it up for a few 100 miles and then replace the oil again will that work?

please any help. My truck is waiting for me to opperate.

2. Sep 20, 2008 at 11:44 AM
    lawnrevenge

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    here's a photo, not necessary, but what the heck...[​IMG]

3. Sep 20, 2008 at 11:59 AM
    lawnrevenge

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    Gonna drain the diff. oil and hope it washes out. if not will try to get it with forceps. If that don't work might be pulling 3rd member out. Just hate to have all this to do because of my bad decision...

4. Sep 20, 2008 at 1:35 PM
    lawnrevenge

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    Used a mirror, didn't see it anywhere, used a light, same result. Tried forceps then a braided wire, then one of those flexible claw things (mechanical fingers?). Drained out the oil (saving it in a clean jar) and still no straw, poked around more. Filled it back up full hoping it'd float to the top. Decided my two options were to take 3rd member out and get it, or to forget about it and fill it up. I left it in. Figure that a drinking straw is soft and will break up easy, might even dissolve in the gear oil. If a worn diff can handle sawdust, then a good diff should handle a little soft plastic. Worst case is that it will cook my gears and or bearings and I will be taking my diff apart to fix it, at which time I'll put in an ARB locker and might regear for bigger tires, 31".

On a side note, the drain plug was easy to remove, but the filler required my impact wrench to remove. When my 300 pound body is pulling it's self off the ground with the breaker bar it's on too tight...

5. Sep 20, 2008 at 1:55 PM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    Personally, I would try this route first. had the same issue but on different truck. Also get a mad light with the little fiber obtic wand (thingie) make finding alot better.

6. Sep 20, 2008 at 2:20 PM
    silver07taco

silver07taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    COIL
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    13 Tundra RCSB 5.7 4x4,07 Tacoma AC 4.0 4x4
    2013 Tundra RCSB 5.7 4x4, 2007 Tacoma AC 4.0 4x4
    If its a soft plactic straw it should just grind it up. It should just sink to the bottom of the diff after a little wile.

Products Discussed in

To Top