Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Stupidity, laziness, and a differential don't mix

Old 09-20-2008, 11:42 AM   #1
lawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nice

lawnrevenge's Tacoma Gallery
Stupidity, laziness, and a differential don't mix

Decided to change my diff oil to synthetic. But being lazy I didn't pull the spare or use a pump. Instead I used a bendy straw wedged over the gearoil tip. Worked great until I went to add bottle #2 and tried to rest my cheap elbow tube in the hole!!!

So how can I get a plastic drinking straw out of my differential?

If I leave it in (being soft plastic and just let the gears chew it up for a few 100 miles and then replace the oil again will that work?

please any help. My truck is waiting for me to opperate.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:44 AM   #2
lawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nice

here's a photo, not necessary, but what the heck...
Old 09-20-2008, 11:59 AM   #3

Gonna drain the diff. oil and hope it washes out. if not will try to get it with forceps. If that don't work might be pulling 3rd member out. Just hate to have all this to do because of my bad decision...
Old 09-20-2008, 01:35 PM   #4

Used a mirror, didn't see it anywhere, used a light, same result. Tried forceps then a braided wire, then one of those flexible claw things (mechanical fingers?). Drained out the oil (saving it in a clean jar) and still no straw, poked around more. Filled it back up full hoping it'd float to the top. Decided my two options were to take 3rd member out and get it, or to forget about it and fill it up. I left it in. Figure that a drinking straw is soft and will break up easy, might even dissolve in the gear oil. If a worn diff can handle sawdust, then a good diff should handle a little soft plastic. Worst case is that it will cook my gears and or bearings and I will be taking my diff apart to fix it, at which time I'll put in an ARB locker and might regear for bigger tires, 31".

On a side note, the drain plug was easy to remove, but the filler required my impact wrench to remove. When my 300 pound body is pulling it's self off the ground with the breaker bar it's on too tight...
Old 09-20-2008, 02:20 PM   #6
silver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: COIL
silver07taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to silver07taco
If its a soft plactic straw it should just grind it up. It should just sink to the bottom of the diff after a little wile.