1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Exposure to sun question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by GaryS1964, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Mar 30, 2011 at 11:50 AM
    GaryS1964

GaryS1964 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Does the bedliner crack or turn white when exposed to constant sun? What about the interior dash, seat covers and other interior components?

There is only room in my two car garage for one car. Gotta have room for all my shop tools. So the wife says she gets to keep her car in the garage. Comprise is what makes a successful marriage.:) So the new Tacoma I'm ordering will spend it's entire life outdoors.

In the old days interior things on my old Toyota trucks cracked, faded, and were otherwise degraded by the sun. However my Ranger at 11 years old looks almost as good as new. Nothing has cracked, faded, or otherwise been damaged by the sun despite spending it's entire life outdoors. Can I expect the same with my new Toyota?

2. Mar 30, 2011 at 12:28 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    It's a composite bed - no liner. Not exactly sure what its made of, but its some sort of plastic material colored the whole way thru...I doubt it'll ever fade.

As for the dash & stuff.... Mines been sitting in the sun for 4 years and I haven't noticed any fading. I keep it clean and use Quick interior detailer & sometimes vinyl protectant on it.

3. Mar 30, 2011 at 12:32 PM
    TexAggie

TexAggie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    OME Lift
    Just put UV protectant on your dash and you'll be fine! It wont crack or fade.

4. Mar 30, 2011 at 12:39 PM
    Truckn4life

Truckn4life Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Iowa City
    Vehicle:
    09 Black 4x4 Reg Cab SR5
    everything breaks down in the sun eventually. Its what sun does best. i would say they are going skimpy on the clear coats on the Tacomas. In 10yrs I wouldnt be surprised if I have some sun damage.

I am getting my hood and roof repainted next week b/c the paint is just peeling off in little circles. toyota is paying for it but accepts no responsibility for the cause. wtf!?

5. Mar 30, 2011 at 12:55 PM
    Azjohn

Azjohn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    arizona/SLO Ca/SF Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2010 trd sport
    debadged
    Use 303 Protectant.

Products Discussed in