Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Does anybody have problems with the antennae...

Old 09-21-2008, 12:22 AM   #1
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Does anybody have problems with the antennae...

coming loose way too easily?

It seems I have to screw it back in tight every five or six days.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:56 AM   #2
jason r
jrukus is on a distinguished road

jrukus's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to jrukus
not I.
although, i have never checked it either.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:06 AM   #3
it's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud ofit's in coma has much to be proud of

it's in coma's Tacoma Gallery
i do, it comes loose...i wonder if putting Teflon would help...
Old 09-21-2008, 01:31 AM   #4
jason r
jrukus is on a distinguished road

jrukus's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to jrukus
maybe lock-tight would work for you guys
Old 09-21-2008, 02:01 AM   #5
El Pitufo
Marioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marioso's Tacoma Gallery
sorry cant relate...shoulda bought a radiant red truck...jk super glue it
Old 09-21-2008, 04:26 AM   #6
Senility Rocks!
MurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Murph
MurphMan's Tacoma Gallery
Mine has, cranked it down and it seems to be holding.

I haven't looked at it, but would a small lock-washer work? Lowes has a pretty decent selection of stainless steel. You could try lock-tite or tape as suggested, but I'd be concerned it'd reduce reception as the material could introduce an insulating property from the whip to the base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekabraham View Post
coming loose way too easily?

It seems I have to screw it back in tight every five or six days.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:31 AM   #8
09silvertaco is on a distinguished road
09silvertaco's Tacoma Gallery
on my 09 its on there so tight a pair of hands cannot loosen it. i was testing it out as i have a shorty antenna on order. i may have to wrap some pliers in a towel, so as to not scratch it, to loosen it just a bit and let the hands do the rest.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:34 AM   #9
jrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Aircraft Maintenance
Name: John
jrw1965's Tacoma Gallery
Havent checked mine either, seams to be fine. Now that I know, I'll check it today, thanks for the heads up.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:31 AM   #10
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrw1965 View Post
Havent checked mine either, seams to be fine. Now that I know, I'll check it today, thanks for the heads up.
It might be tight for ya....

I've had my truck for about 1.5 years and I just tightened the antennae yesterday. So - it took that long to come loose. But now, it'll probably happen a lot more.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:35 AM   #11
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Mine came loose about a week after I got it, so I tightened it with some pliers, and it hasnt come loose since.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:47 AM   #12
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
mine came loose shortly after I bought my truck. I tightened it and it hasn't backed off for 1.5 years.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:52 AM   #13
INAKOMA08
InaKoma08 will become famous soon enoughInaKoma08 will become famous soon enough

InaKoma08's Tacoma Gallery
I have noticed it being alittle loose at times before.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:01 AM   #14
My other ride weighs 200 tons
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4x4x4trd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphMan View Post
Mine has, cranked it down and it seems to be holding.

I haven't looked at it, but would a small lock-washer work? Lowes has a pretty decent selection of stainless steel. You could try lock-tite or tape as suggested, but I'd be concerned it'd reduce reception as the material could introduce an insulating property from the whip to the base.

Listen to this man, he has the bases covered.

I replaced mine with a 20" Shorty as I got tired of it hitting the top of the garage door. Use a towel to prevent pliers from marring it and tighten it good without the lock tight.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:43 AM   #15
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks for all the info, guys!!

I'm going to be replacing mine with a Shorty soon, too. Maybe that will help.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:55 AM   #16
lakewoodbilly will become famous soon enoughlakewoodbilly will become famous soon enough

Name: Bill
lakewoodbilly's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to lakewoodbilly
When I was driving home from picking up my truck from the dealership, my daughter noticed that the reception on the FM radio was poor. When I got home I noticed that there was no antenae; What? After folding up the back seats, there it was wrapped up. They never bothered to install it. I put it on myself and now after 5 months I should go check it. Don't know why I even need it since I listen to sirius all of the time.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:56 AM   #17
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
The OEM one, because it moves around in the wind a lot more, yes. Use Loctite, problem solved. I have a shortie antenna with Loctite on it and it doesn't budge.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:56 AM   #18

Do you guys have a website for these short antennaes?
Old 09-21-2008, 10:59 AM   #20

Sweet. Thanks man.