1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need opinions…might “try to” return 2011 Tacoma (vibration)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 919taco, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Apr 1, 2011 at 1:52 PM
    bcb97

bcb97 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Still sounds kind of fishy to me. I'm a mechanical engineer and I pay real close attention to sounds, vibrations, etc. and my new DC doesn't have any vibrations that I've noticed. No "ticking" from the engine either. My previous chevy truck knocked all the time which is one reason why I got rid of it. It makes a little buzz noise right when I accelerate but it only last for a split second so I'm not really worried about it.

2. Apr 1, 2011 at 1:55 PM
    919taco

919taco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Raleigh
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC PR V6
    I agree it is weird, i'm not a 100% satisfied, but what am I going to do. Over the years it is going to experience worst things.

3. Apr 1, 2011 at 1:58 PM
    TRDBandit

TRDBandit TACOMANATOR

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    CRAWLORADO
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab TRD O.R. Dark Blue
    Afe Stage 2 CAI Tinted windows Many to come
    I have an 06 with over 100K miles and my truck has not had 1 problem. No vibrations. And dude the ride is like a cadilac after driving a jeep jk for 2 years. now that thing is rough.

4. Apr 1, 2011 at 1:59 PM
    bcb97

bcb97 Well-Known Member

Member:
    If it worries you more then take it to a mechanic other than the stealership and see what they say. I have seen forums on driveshaft vibrations but it was usually on lifted trucks, never a new one.

5. Apr 17, 2011 at 7:19 AM
    Mag16tac

Mag16tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Ford F150 XLT 2.7 ecoboost!!!!
    It was interesting reading about your experiance with the vibration issues. If you review my past post, you will see I had similar experiances with three different Tacomas I owned. The problem was indeed identified as a torque converter issue and in my case the Toyota Engineers responded to the dealership after I opened a case and tried flushing the transmission fluid several times plus re-programed the transmission. Unfortunatly, the final answer from all the Toyota brains was "truck performing as designed" I was even given a new identical truck in a different color at no extra cost but it also had the problem. I also drove several other Tacomas and for what ever reason I felt the same type of vibration if I drove them long enough. The bottom line; most Tacomas have this very irratating vibration and I believe they don't know how to fix it! For the owners that somehow escaped this problem, consider yourself lucky. I was advised there was a TSB rear transmission mount designed to reduce the vibrations in 2009's and earlier but was told this mount is installed on the 2010's and 11's and not available at no cost. I do like my truck but certainly don't believe with all the technology this kind of issue should be acceptable for new vehicles.

6. May 20, 2011 at 3:30 PM
    dan0

dan0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    swamplands of sc
    Vehicle:
    Sold 2011 Prerunner Doublecab 4cyl auto
  7. May 30, 2011 at 6:13 PM
    bcb97

bcb97 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I regret to inform that I too now feel the vibration at/around 20 mph. I first thought it was my tires but then I realized why would I feel my tires at 20 mph. The vibration is very similar to new mud grip tires when first accelerating. Good thing is that it is the only speed that I can feel the vibration. Once I go in for my 5000 mile oil change I'll ask the service tech about it and see what they say. I'm sure I'll get "It's normal." I'm glad I know it is coming from the Torque Converter thanks to this thread.

8. May 30, 2011 at 6:17 PM
    bizjettech

bizjettech Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sunny Florida
    Vibration @ 20 MPH accelerating through 20 and coasting/braking down past 20 -

I felt the EXACT same issue on one that I test drove - decided to buy but refused that particular truck because of the vibration issue - test drove another one and no vibes so I ended up buying that one. Sorry to hear of your difficulties, not sure what you can do but keep hammering Toyota

9. May 30, 2011 at 8:09 PM
    Kingfrog

Kingfrog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail Edition
    Undercover,Pop n Lock, Hardwired GPS, Garage door opener , Scanguage II, wireless back up camera, X994 Basslink, ...Prefer stock and non invasive functional mods
    There is a TSB out for Vibration between 15-25MPH...

T-SB-0132-08 JUL 08 Drivetrain - Driveline Vibration Between 15 - 25 MPH

I have the same Vibs but am waiting for an oil change to have them look at it.

10. Jul 7, 2011 at 1:34 PM
    bcb97

bcb97 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Got the service department to look at the vibration yesterday. They first thought it was the tires off balanced, so they re-balanced all the tires. Still did not fix the the problem. I guess the good thing is the mechanic felt the exact vibration I was feeling and he didn't give me a line of BS. He wants me to bring it in and leave it so that he can properly try to diagnose the problem. The service man said the last truck he saw that had the same similar problem the guy had to get his driveshaft replaced. I might try to take the truck tomorrow and leave it to see if they can figure it out. I did have firestone ride-rite bags on it and he told me to take them off so that they know the truck is completely stock to check for the vibration. I took them off and noticed the vibration is not as significant now. Maybe when the rear end is higher (due to bags, or AAL) the vibration is stronger. Does sound like a driveshaft alignment issue. I'll repost if they figure out what the hell is the problem.

11. Jul 7, 2011 at 1:38 PM
    Bfoster133

Bfoster133 If i asked my dad for money, He'd knock me out

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Thousand oaks, California
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner TRD offroad
    15% Tint, 5100's at 1.75, Rear Diff Breather, CB radio, Black rattle canned rims, 265/75/16 Goodyear MTR, Magnaflow Offroad pro cat back, hi-lift bed mounted, shovel bed mounted
    this may have been covered but the ticks are what seem to be the electrical plugs leading to the spark plugs, its them giving the signal. at drive throughs you hear them pretty loud

12. Jul 7, 2011 at 1:49 PM
    TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD sport 4x4 Barcelona Red
    Weathertech front floor liners, window vent visors. Custom bedside decals. OEM bed mat, tonneau covrew. Added D rings to bed.
    if it makes you feel any better, I just bought a used 05 and don't have any of these issues, so maybe it does just go away.

13. Jul 7, 2011 at 2:06 PM
    wmdpowell

wmdpowell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Essex county NY
    Vehicle:
    23 trd OR DCSB 4x4 silver
    a cross on my rearview Circle mirror Scotch guard seats
    Could it be as simple as tire preasure too high? I know my ride is much better at 30 than even a few psi higher.

14. Jul 7, 2011 at 7:26 PM
    azchris

azchris Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Magnetic Grey Dbl Cab 4x4 TRD OffRoad
    Click sig for build thread
    I was under the impression that this was mostly valvetrain noise, every Toyota I've ever listened to sounds the same way.

15. Jul 7, 2011 at 8:41 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Of course. By lifting the rear with the bags your changing the angle of the driveshaft.

16. Jul 8, 2011 at 7:28 AM
    bcb97

bcb97 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I've decided to leave the bags off. The only thing I tow is a 4-wheeler and I shifted most of the 4-wheeler weight to be over the axle of the trailer so that my rear doesn't sag that much. Seems to ride fine without the bags. I'll be trying to sell the bags on here soon if anyone is interested!

17. Jul 8, 2011 at 9:30 AM
    myname150

myname150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The stiff ride, yeeah thats a thing to get used to about driving trucks. It's why I hate driving luxury cars because everything is so "soft" and "plush"

Ticking noise is normal, when I first got the truck I thought there was something wrong, but nope it's fine.

As far as vibrations go, maybe it could be something as simple as a tire balance problem?

Products Discussed in

To Top