1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to build an Expedition Tacoma?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by zerocool120, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Apr 2, 2011 at 10:50 AM
    singlefin

singlefin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hood River, OR
    Vehicle:
    Syncro
    1 and 2: In my opinion 2009+ then go with a TRD Off-Road...prior to that you might be fine with a base whatever engine you prefer...not sure about DC engine options though. 2009 I believe is when they started adding A-Trac to the Off-Road package. If your getting TRD, go with the Off-Road. The OR package adds a few things like A/C inverter, lockers, auto transmission cooler. For couple grand or so you can order complete third members with ARB lockers and your choice of ratio from ECGS. That will run in line with you on board air setup. Essential things to change? wheel/tire combo to your liking, gears/lockers, suspension, winch and onboard air, power setup (dual batts etc), aux lighting....it goes on forever. Just set an end game goal and a budget.

Are you looking for a 2 axle only rig? Is towing a trailer a possibility cause that really opens up the practicality of things by just buying a Expo style trailer like Adventure Trailers builds. They also have flip-pac shell options as well. Personally I think its a waste of money when you can pretty much buy a gnarly backpacking setup for under 1,500...bag, tent, stove, cooking stuff...etc.

Self-Sustainability=know how, tools, and spares for recovery and infield repairs. Think this is a category a lot of people forget. Bailing wire, straps and spot welds can set you up to limp back.

3. The good thing here is there isnt a lot of just crap products...Suspension wise all 4 big names make great stuff Icon, King, Fox, and OME. Coilovers can be tuned better for your application by changing spring rates, and valving. Leaf springs you want something to handle your weight, so a custom set might be the best bet. OBA, look at Viair. Basically you need to read a bunch of build threads here and on Expedition Portal.

Second this for sure, the width is a big deal....In hindsight I wish I would have just bought a the exact described truck....maybe a DC as my trips would only be 2-3 nights.

2. Apr 2, 2011 at 11:35 AM
    anethema

anethema Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    ARB Bumper,OEM Roof rack modded for access cab, Allpro Rock Sliders,Icon Adjustable coilovers,More Tie Downs in bed, Firestone Airbags in rear,Block heater
    I agree with the other guy in that if you are looking to save as much as you can, find a 2002-2004 Tacoma and mod the crap out of it with the money you saved.

If you want a new gen, I suggest the SR5 model. It has a bigger rear diff which is open. You can then put ARB lockers front and rear, which will also give you an air compressor to fill your tires for when you lower them for certain terrains or for flat repair. Very strong and self reliant.

If you don't want to spend a lot of money on the locker system, then get the TRD Offroad, it at least gives you a rear locker.

My truck was built for expedition travel though a bit lighter.

[​IMG]

Welded on rock sliders, lots of lighting, strong bumper, roof rack, truck bed tent because I couldn't afford/justify a roof top tent haha. Winch for the front. Rear locking diff, rear air bags for load carrying and levelling, soon a compressor etc. 255/85-R16 tires. (Most expedition vehicles use tall/skinny tires. Fatter tires are mostly for looks and/or drag racing :D)

Its been a great truck, The previous owner did a lot of the big mods, and I've continued it slowly, and can't wait to do my first trips.

This isn't a truck meant for those 10000 mile alaska to brazil type trips, though with some more mods I'm sure it could do it. But 1-3 week long couple thousand mile trips and its perfect. Can't wait.

3. Apr 2, 2011 at 11:38 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Your truck looks great dude .

BC rep !

4. Apr 2, 2011 at 11:57 AM
    anethema

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    ARB Bumper,OEM Roof rack modded for access cab, Allpro Rock Sliders,Icon Adjustable coilovers,More Tie Downs in bed, Firestone Airbags in rear,Block heater
    Thanks man, there area few of us BCites on here. Even some Kelownians. :D How do you make your profile pic work BTW? Mine is set up and shows it in the control panel, but nothing shows up when I post.

5. Apr 2, 2011 at 11:58 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Ya , at least a dozen .

You seen the " anybody from Kelowna thread " ?

6. Apr 2, 2011 at 12:03 PM
    anethema

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    Yep! Posted in it :D

7. Apr 2, 2011 at 12:05 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    :thumbsup:

Sorry for the threadjack OP

As you were

8. Apr 2, 2011 at 12:17 PM
    LEX

LEX --- --- --- - ----

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    100 Series LC
    This is a great thread so far.

9. Apr 2, 2011 at 12:22 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
  10. Apr 2, 2011 at 12:25 PM
    lembowski

lembowski Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Rolando, CA
    Vehicle:
    Jeeper Creeper
    Seeing as price was no object per the OP and a 09 is cheaper than the 11'-12' he is looking out now, maybe you should stop. He didn't go to the 1st gen forum looking for advice on an Expedition Truck.

11. Apr 2, 2011 at 12:44 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    He asked about building an expedition truck, and he asked about older model trucks. Read the thread.

Traction control is NOT what you make a buying decision based on when planning expedition usage. If you'd brought points about easy field repair, reliability, strength of parts, cargo capacity, maneuverability, or other things that actually mattered in exped work, I might've been a bit politer.

You didn't. I wasn't.

12. Apr 2, 2011 at 12:49 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    Maintaining as low of possible overall weight is something you'll want to keep in mind as well. With all the additions to the truck, those mods can add weight fast. I'd recomend some solid armor for the truck, and utilize aluminum wherever possible. For instance, the aluminum bumpers I make are about 1/2 the weight of the steel versions. That said, if you dont need a trailer hitch on a rear bumper(allowing it to be made from aluminum) my front and rear aluminum bumpers together would weigh the same as the factory front bumper and rear bumper/tow package combo.
    You'll want to protect the bottom of your truck as well... some decent skid coverage without going overkill is a must there as well. If you arent planning some crazy rock crawling, utilizing a combination of 3/16" and 1/8" steel skids, or even using some aluminum skids in less vulnerable places (like the gas tank skid, transmission skid, etc.) can keep weight down while protecting the undercarriage.

13. Apr 2, 2011 at 12:50 PM
    lembowski

lembowski Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Rolando, CA
    Vehicle:
    Jeeper Creeper
    Your posts are quite enjoyable to read....you sure have a cute mouth.

14. Apr 2, 2011 at 1:10 PM
    zerocool120

zerocool120 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Aspen, CO USA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma DCSB TRD OR
    TRD CAI
    To all,
    Thank you for the advice and comments. I dearly appreciate it...being a newbie with an idea and not sure how to reach it will take many a night reading through this site. I see that my orginal title of Expedition Tacoma may have been a bit off...maybe Overland works better? None-the-less, my goal is to build this truck right the first time. I am beginning to realize there are many "right ways" to build one of these, whether it is starting with a slightly older low mileage model or a brand new one. Historically I have always bought brand new vehicles. Thus, purchasing a used one feels a bit off...not sure how to describe that...just worrisome. I probably need to let that go and focus on what will be the most cost effective and dependable over time. Financially, I am prepared to buy an 2012 model, but this would definatively limit my aftermarket expenditures. If I were to get an '09, I would be able to put in 10-15K into the project versus 5-7K on a 2012 model.

-I have to go double-cab for the kids...so there is that.
    -I love standards normally, but realize the auto may provide easier low range movability.
    -I am limited by my garage height, as I stated earlier...someone answered that question and said with a 3" lift it would be about 74.1"...leaving me about 6-8" to play with for the 'rooftop' (bedtop?) tent, roof rack and lighting.
    -I have the full support of my wife on this project, which is the hardest part of it all as some of you may know:).
    -I will delve into the other sites you have suggested that specifically handle this sort of build.

15. Apr 2, 2011 at 2:53 PM
    98fourbangertaco

98fourbangertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Taylorsville, NC
    Vehicle:
    98 toyota tacoma, 4wd, SR5, 2.7L, 5-speed
    daystar 2.5in suspension lift kit, detroit truetrac in rear, custom transfer case skidplate, deckplate mod, green high-performance drop in filter, Huskyliner floor mats, 31x10.50 wild country radial mtx tires, yakima roof rack, load warrior basket, stubbs welding rock sliders, arb front bumper with warn 9,000lb winch and procomp black series 100w offroad lights, trail-gear rear bumper, borla exhaust, blacked out factory wheels, shovel mounted on roof rack, de-mudflaped
    if u buy the 09 and put the 10-15k in it u mentioned u well most deffinatly be able to overbuild the truck for the circumstances that u are describing

16. Apr 2, 2011 at 3:30 PM
    11BSSG

11BSSG Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    33°28'18"N /-86°48'2"W
    Vehicle:
    07 4X4 A/C 6 Spd
    Front-Billy 5100'2 @ 2.5, Rear- Wheelers 1.5" AAL w/ Billy 5100's, 17" XD Addict's, 285/70-17 Nitto TerraGrappler AT's, 20% Tint, UWS Low Pro Toolbox, N-Fab Nerf Steps, K&N, Black Head Lights, Hard Wired GPS, XM Onyx, Hardwired Radar Detector, Ultraguage, Thule Mtn Bike Lock, Sleeved Fog Light Housing, Black Emblems, Satoshi/Color Matched grille, Misc. Security Upgrades.
    Great info, threads like this are why I enjoy TW!

1truckdriver likes this.
  17. Apr 2, 2011 at 3:52 PM
    zerocool120

zerocool120 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Aspen, CO USA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma DCSB TRD OR
    TRD CAI
    A brief recon of ebay motors has several 2010's for around 28K and a few '09's for a little over 22K. I will look into all of these...along with brand new ones;)!

Whether or not I get a new or used truck, it will definitely be 2nd Gen. From the feedback already recieved, wheels/tires (285/75/16s...maybe some flares?), suspension (3" lift kit) and armor (bumpers w/ winch, sliders, plates) seem to be the top vehicle specific priorities. I am also looking into the overlanding/camping stuff--eezi-awn tent, some sort of bed rack, tools, some sort of refridgeration, etc. I assume with the TRD Off-Road, I will not need to worry about onboard air right away? Is it still a good idea to get something rigged up soonest? Or am I completely misunderstanding the useages for the onboard air?

-specific to front and rear bumpers...what brands are depandable, top flight and able to accept a winch (or already come with one installed)?
    -which ones accept lighting (on the front)?
    -which cab rack is suggested (that accepts lighting)?
    -what brands of lighting are suggested/why?
    -what brands of bed rack are suggested/why?

I know some of this is already on this site and the others previously mentioned...I am searching all of them!

Sorry for the scattered nature of the posts...everything is coming to mind at once.

Thanks!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  18. Apr 2, 2011 at 4:22 PM
    anethema

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    As mentioned in this thread, relentless has a very good rep for strong good looking bumpers. Can put lights/winch etc.
    007-1_b0d0d0e2d31cc612c8f3d7e5e5ed8b30f5fe58bc.jpg
    No idea on cab rack or bed rack.

I have lightforce lights and they are fantastic. 2 HID driving lights and 2 130W long distance lights works great for me. You can also kind of spin then like a maglite to focus the beam wider or tighter. To switch the light from driving to spot, you simply chage the (VERY TOUGH) lenses on the front.

The only downside I really see mentioned are that the beam isn't smooth/perfect. (kind of like a maglight, the beam has some artifacts) so if you're a beam perfectionist this may matter.

They are tough though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_R2JLs0I5E

I have this same HID kit..this video also shows the beam imperfections when you make the spread of the spot too wide.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i33f7dkUTAo

19. Apr 2, 2011 at 4:33 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Stay away!

I've got a vest and a bow and arrow!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'll have to see if I can borrow Mr.Reynolds though.

[​IMG]

Dee dee ding ding ding ding ding diinnngggg.

20. Apr 2, 2011 at 4:54 PM
    navysealboy93

navysealboy93 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Fort Lewis, WA
    Vehicle:
    Isuzu Trooper
    ARB front bumper, wagon wheels, 235/85 wranger's, OME 1.5 in. lift and Dakar springs.
    X2

Products Discussed in

To Top