Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Windshield - Spontaneous crack

Old 04-02-2011, 09:55 PM   #1
knphee is on a distinguished road
knphee's Tacoma Gallery
Windshield - Spontaneous crack

So this interesting, sitting in traffic today and all of a sudden my windshield spontaneously cracked. About an inch and a half from the bottom and distance is say from the steering wheel to the middle of the glove box. Can't feel the crack on the outside nor inside. No rock chips anywhere near the crack.

Truck is 6 months old, windshield is pretty much flawless except for what looks like a scratch (but no where near the crack), temperature today was about -2 C AND I had the defrost setting turn on med as we are having a massive wet snow dump and at the time the windows were fogging up as I had a couple of passengers with me.

If I take this back to my dealer (I'm actually due for my first oil change and I need to have them look at the blower motor) and ask them to replace this windshield -- will they tell me to pound sound ??? My concern is, how do I prove it was a stress crack/manufacture defect.

And another note, my friends brand new Honda CRV's back window spontaneous shattered and his dealer repalced his window.

And advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
KN
Old 04-03-2011, 05:30 AM   #3
Junebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedJunebug McQuinn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Junebug McQuinn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
I would not worry about proving anything yet. Take it back and show them the crack. Talk with them like a reasonable person and go from there.
My guess is with no damage to the window and such a new truck they should be cool....but you gotta ask them to find out.
x2
Old 04-03-2011, 07:37 AM   #4
ouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Air Force: Mobile Support Equipment Operator
Name: Ryan
ouyin2000's Tacoma Gallery
You'll probably be able to swing a freebie based on the fact that there is no obvious rock chip.

In all honesty though, it was probably just caused by temperature changes. Had you JUST turned on your defroster? That spot is where it would first start blowing on the windshield, warming up the inside but the outside still being below freezing.

Also, was it one of the layers of glass that cracked, or was it the laminated mylar in between the glass? If it was the mylar itself, then you're 100% in for a new windshield. And with no evidence (to feel) inside or outside, that would seriously point to a random manufacturer defect.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:38 PM   #5
knphee is on a distinguished road
knphee's Tacoma Gallery
So I had the winshield looked at today (during my first oil change) and was told that if there was no rock chips it would usually be covered. We both went out to the truck and to my very surprise he spotted a very small rock chip--it was right below the driver side wiper. I could have sworn that it was not there even yesterday, I had inspected the whole length of the crack. I can't explain this one. Maybe the crack led to the chip? I should have listened to my buddy and took some pictures right away--service guy said he would have used my photos to submit to Toyota Canada. He still took some pictures and would submit the claims to Toyota but it sounds like I'm SOL.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:48 PM   #6
fullback is on a distinguished road
fullback's Tacoma Gallery
My windshield Cracked in the same spot as member Knphee , how much did it cost to replace yours ? if u did in fact replace it, i am looking to get it don right , dont want some fly by night glass guys to mess it up