1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cap un-installation time

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by supralight, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Apr 4, 2011 at 10:59 PM
    supralight

supralight [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2013 4Runner limited
    No problem, thanks anyway. But some more questions if you have some more spare time lol. As I sais earlier, my local dealer has only 4 leer options, and I think that the RCC was not one of those (2 am here too late to call back!) but as there are other dealers, the RCC could be an option.

Why did you pick the 100RCC over the 100R? On the leer website, I find the 100R more attracive since it has real windows instead of the hard side covers. Also, the 100RCC must be much heavier? Was there a big price difference between the R and RCC? And would you advice me on the RCC over the R for any good reason?

2. Apr 4, 2011 at 11:03 PM
    tanzak88

tanzak88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I should have gotten a headliner in my Legend... Piece of shit has given me about 200 tiny fiberglass slivers already... I think I'm gonna paint it with some colored resin... It's driving me insane.

3. Apr 4, 2011 at 11:10 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    The 100RCC is a commercial version of the 100R , it is reinforced to hold a roof load of 400 lbs . It also comes with the Thule / De Walt commercial ProRac roof rack system .

I needed the weight carrying ability for my carpentry work .

The side doors on the RCC are only one option , and I am actually getting mine with side sliding windows .

The RCC is about 180 lbs , but is quite a bit more expensive than the 100R .

4. Apr 4, 2011 at 11:12 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Go here and build your canopy with whatever options you want .

Start by hitting the " Build your own Leer / See what fits your truck " link on the top right side of the page , and go from there .

In the video section on the Leer homepage there is also a video description of the 100RCC if you are interested .

http://www.leer.com/site/Home

5. Apr 5, 2011 at 3:26 PM
    supralight

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2013 4Runner limited
    Went to the dealer today. For your information all if you ever wonder:

The 100XQ is the most expensive but comes stock with headliner

You can only install windoors (windows that flip) on the 100R and 100RCC model

The 100r and rcc have a flat rear glass

Xq, xl, xr model all have the curved rear window (one of the deciding factor, thought you could get that on the r and rcc serie)

Even if you have a sliding window on the 100xr, you won't be able to load/unload cargo since there is a non-removable screen behind the window.

Xq and xl bot have tip-out windows, so you cannot load/unload from them, but the xq has removable screens.

Second dome light option is 30$ here, and sliding front window is 85$. The small locked roof baggage compartement is !!300!! $.

So now I have to decide if I go for look (xq) and utility (r).

I tend toward the xq to be honest.

6. Apr 5, 2011 at 3:33 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Your dealer is wrong .

My RCC is coming with sliding side windows , a removeable sliding cab end window , and it comes stock with a headliner .

Did you go to the Leer site at the link I sent you ?

7. Apr 5, 2011 at 3:45 PM
    pudge151

pudge151 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum
    have u considered a softopper or similar?

8. Apr 5, 2011 at 4:03 PM
    jspadaro

jspadaro Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    Don't have a cap, but just wanted to add my 2 cents:

Aerodynamically speaking, a truck gets the best MPG in the following order:
    "Teardrop" Cap/Tonneau combination (high near cab, tailgate level in the back)
    Tonneau
    Closed Tailgate
    Cap

The cap does the worst because, like a semi or an SUV, it'll create a huge vacuum immediately behind the vehicle. The caps that have an angle toward the back, more like newer SUVs have, should do better.

In real life, weight plays a part in addition to aerodynamics though, so i dunno what happens.

9. Apr 5, 2011 at 4:14 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    I don't know about the OP , but I'm getting a canopy to keep my shit dry , not for better mileage .

10. Apr 5, 2011 at 4:15 PM
    jspadaro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    OP asked about mileage. :rolleyes:

11. Apr 5, 2011 at 4:18 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    This is aboot me now damn it !!!

12. Apr 5, 2011 at 4:19 PM
    jspadaro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    Hahaha, it's funny cuz you're foreign. :D

13. Apr 5, 2011 at 5:15 PM
    supralight

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2013 4Runner limited
    Nope, I want to have the cap for 99.9% of the time on my truck, and keep the thing inside organised. Right now I have a soft tonneau cover which I find nice but not roomy enough.

I did go to the LEER site which was great information, just missing the PRICES! :)

you may have missunderstood me. I mean to say that only the 100R and RCC models CAN have the windoors. Didn't mean to say that it HAS to come with it.

Though, I find it deceaving that all the other models does not have the option to have windoors. The reason the dealer told me is that the cap is designed in a way (for XQ, XR, XL) that would not accept the windoors hardware.

And just to add to the parallel conversation, at 1.30$/litre (4.888$/gal) here, MPG IS IMPORTANT! :D Each litres/100KM I lose costs me 390$ over 1 year per my basic calculations.

14. Apr 6, 2011 at 8:51 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    taking it on and off isnt THAT easy. i got in and laid down and "leg pressed" it up and back. then my bro and i just yanked it off and set it on sawhorses.

going back on was tougher. the bed rails are kinda "up there", change hand positions is a tricky proposition. you have to kinda herk and jerk it.

a cap is one unwieldy thing. it is huge and awkward feeling.

Products Discussed in

To Top