1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Almost at 36k (less than 1k away), anything I should be thinkin about?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by netmagi, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Apr 3, 2011 at 8:52 PM
    netmagi

netmagi [OP] Membrrrrrr

Member:
    Slatington, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD OR
    I understand the whole idea of the list in the TSB sticky is to be all inclusive, but after head scratching over my steering wheel knock-knock sound on a rough road and finding there's been a TSB for a while that's not in the sticky, is there anything else not in the list I should be thinkin about for an 09 DC TRD Off-Road?

I ask cuz I'm OVER 35k, but NOT to 36 yet :p

I'll be callin tomorrow to setup an appt for the steering shaft TSB.

I already had the rear TSB done, and they replaced my bumper as well since it already had some rust starting on it.

Other issues I'm having (that I don't think are acknowledged/resolved yet) are:

1) Increased brake force required to keep the 5-spd auto in place at a light when the revs change (or whatever causes it)

2) drive line vib ~24-30 mph after the rear TSB (likely due to change in driveline angle)

3) Unusual clunk when engaging A/C from the engine compartment on occasion

4) Window or mirror rattle on driver's side in the winter (comes and goes)

-Rich

2. Apr 3, 2011 at 9:31 PM
    MachoTaco10

MachoTaco10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    1.) not sure

2.) the tsb changes your drive line angle approximately an inch give or take. really not enough to cause any noticeable vibs. If you want you should try the shim kit from toytech but I doubt youll see any difference.

3.) Get this fixed, they should fix that under warranty fight them if they dont. thats either the ac clutch or the pully pulling out a slight bit when initially under load. Common on a lot of cars usually bad bearings.

4.) notorious taco thing

3. Apr 4, 2011 at 1:32 PM
    netmagi

netmagi [OP] Membrrrrrr

Member:
    Slatington, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD OR
    I shimmed it myself with 2 washers, and tried to straighten it a bit as well. It definitely got a little better, so I think the root cause is the angle change. I think some shafts are just more sensitive than others (omg did I just type that. ..)
    When I called this morning for the appt. I mentioned this as well.

mmhummph

to be fair overall I am very happy with the truck. . I just want to make sure anything that's a known issue that I'm experiencing is fixed on their dime, not mine :)

It's goin in wednesday morning. I actually forgot to mention the driveline vib, but I'll bring it up when they're checking the steering linkage.

-Rich H.

4. Apr 6, 2011 at 10:10 PM
    netmagi

netmagi [OP] Membrrrrrr

Member:
    Slatington, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD OR
    They ordered the parts for the steering linkage, but of course couldn't re-produce the driveline vibration or A/C noise. :(

-Rich

Products Discussed in

To Top