1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tap into hidden horsepower!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TacomaRyan, May 11, 2007.

1. May 11, 2007 at 7:08 PM
    TacomaRyan

TacomaRyan [OP] Active Member

Member:
    This may be a repetative discussion on this forum, but I am new and I really want some info on it.;)

How can I get more power out of my 4 cylendar 4x4? I know that if I wanted power I should of got a 6cyl. +etc., but I have a 4 and plan on keepin' it for a long long time, so I welcome any advise?:)

New Tacoma2007 057.1.jpg

2. May 11, 2007 at 7:20 PM
    Dominant967

Dominant967 Well-Known Member

Member:
    turbo or super charger will yield the largest boost in HP

3. May 11, 2007 at 7:25 PM
    TacomaRyan

Member:
    True on the charger's. but i'm thinking something much more affordable and practical. I have heard of something called MAF censor (or something like that). I'm thinking about maybe a Volant coldair intake, and a magnaflow muffler. But I wonder if this will help...

4. May 11, 2007 at 8:22 PM
    surfponto

surfponto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Leucadia (Sunny San Diego)
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4x4 SR5 2.7 ltr
    ATC Bobcat slide in camper 8 Dakar leaf springs in back
    Downey makes smog legal headers and cat back exhaust that may give some minor improvements.

5. May 11, 2007 at 8:50 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    you can go with an intake and exhaust, but your gain will probably be minimal. although, and i know some people will argue this, you may actually "feel" a slight power increase. if the maf calibrator will work on a 4banger, it will probably help you out too!!

6. May 29, 2007 at 3:43 PM
    TacomaRyan

Member:
    headers and catback... ok, I'll to look into that.

As for intake. i wanted to put a valant cold air intake, but i have heard it would hurt the engine more than help. so, i think the trd true cold air might be the best way to go. but then again, i don't want to have issues w/ my intake sucking up rain, mud, snow, etc.

7. May 29, 2007 at 3:52 PM
    EvilBetty

EvilBetty Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Access Cab
    Visor CD Holder
    I think the TRD CAI is intended for the V6.

8. May 30, 2007 at 4:16 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    Both the TRD and the URD CAIs are made exclusively for the V6s. I have been told that Volant, AirRaid, and K&N make CAIs for the 2.7L.

MAF Calibrator -
    [​IMG]
    URD makes the above pictured Mass Airflow Calibrator. You can read more about it here. It is supposed to give you the most bang for the least amount of cash while doing no harm to the engine or its components. I wish I could tell you more about this, but I have not gotten the money together for it yet. I will be getting one of these in the next year, and I promise to write up a DIY and Review on it once I get to test it out. I have spoken with URD about this product. After talking with them, I believe that this product will be the best solution for "safe" power addition if it does what it says it can do. I will let you know more when I know more. ;)

Intakes - Any filtration system that lets more air through your intake, filters less particulates to some degree. What degree is acceptable is up to you. I have used K&N drop in filters on a Chevy Suburban (60K out of 220K miles), a Honda Accord (100K out of 300K miles), and a Subaru Legacy AWD (85K out of 180K miles and still going). According to the research I have done, K&N does the WORST at filtering compared to their competition. So it really is a matter of what is acceptable to you.

A combination of headers, high flow intake, high flow exhaust, and a MAF Calibrator should give you reasonable power gains without "seriously" altering your engine.

I hope this helps.

9. Jun 2, 2007 at 9:40 PM
    TacomaRyan

Member:
    probably right. i am sure the supping up is intended for the 6. i'm not looking for a race car, but just a little more pep in my step.

I am getting closer to asking the techs at my dealership about their advise on the subject. I will keep everyone posted on what i find down the road.

10. Feb 19, 2010 at 9:08 AM
    SpaceMonkey

SpaceMonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Tx
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner
    ^ URD MAF calibrator + aftermarket cold air intake do you yield more power.

11. Feb 19, 2010 at 11:07 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    like 3 years later....haha

12. Feb 19, 2010 at 11:29 AM
    raskal311

raskal311 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S. Cal
    5100 set to max, pending LSD and TRD CAI
    Do it the ricer way and remove any excess weight. Keep the air filter clean and maybe use some octane boost.

13. Feb 19, 2010 at 11:41 AM
    jeremiekc

jeremiekc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremie
    Vilseck, Germany
    Vehicle:
    07 Regular Cab Base Model
    Secondary Air Filter removed, Painted Brake Calipers, AFN Drop in air cleaner, OEM Chrome Bumper, OEM Chrome grilll, OEM Cruise Control, OEM Interval Wipers, Hard Wired Garmin Nuvi 670, X-Runner Rims, Devil Horns, 6000w HID's, Bling Light Fogs with Blue Halo, OEM Bilstein Rear Shocks, 12V Plug in Truck Bed pocket. Debagged, 13" Antennax, Color Matched Satoshi Grill, URD Short Shifter, WeatherTech Floor Mats, PainLess Wiring Switched Fuse Box, Black Sand Pearl X-Runner Badges
    A CAI will make very little improvement in the overall horsepower. The stock Air box is already a CAI. If you want to go that route K&N makes a CAI for the 2.7L that will run you about $275. Doug Thourley makes a header for the 2.7L the will increase the horsepower a little bit and make the sound a little deeper. Jardine makes a pretty good exhaust system the will bump it a little more but the jury is still out on that. I have removed the secondary air cleaner and installed an AFE filter that increased it a little bit and only cost me $32.00.

In my opinion the amount of money that you will spend isn't really worth the increase in horsepower.

Good luck!

Products Discussed in

To Top