Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Are Wheel spacers a bad idea?

View Poll Results: Are Wheel Spacers a bad idea?
Yes, They are hard on truck. 13 22.81%
Yes, you need aftermarket wheels! 4 7.02%
No, They run great after thousands of Off Road miles 21 36.84%
No, they run great after thousands of mostly On Road miles. 19 33.33%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-04-2011, 01:39 PM   #1
SPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
SPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Are Wheel spacers a bad idea?

Getting ready for a 3" lift and want to retain stock TRD OR wheels.

What are your impressions of installing 1.25" Spidertrax spacers?

Dealer mentioned that they induce speed wabbles. Any of you here aware of this?
Old 04-04-2011, 02:02 PM   #3
jdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jdmdcfan's Tacoma Gallery
They ware out your wheel barrings faster but not much faster. Just don't go too thick or else you'll need extended studs. Make sure to buy hub centric too.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:54 PM   #4
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkeller View Post
No wabbles. Had mine for almost 2 years and no problems. Just male sure you get the spidertrax ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmdcfan View Post
They ware out your wheel barrings faster but not much faster. Just don't go too thick or else you'll need extended studs. Make sure to buy hub centric too.
x2 for Spidertrax. They are hubcentric so they will prevent any wobbles or vibrations, and they come with new, longer studs embedded in them so you won't have the problem jdmdcfan noted.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:02 PM   #5
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Spidertrax are both hub and lug centric. They won't put any more stress on your wheel bearings than an aftermarket wheel with similar offset.

No vibes or wobbles or issues here, just a happy customer.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:18 PM   #6
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
i put they are hard on the truck because they are, but any mod is. just lock tite them and make sure thery are torqued down, check them everyonce in a while
Old 04-04-2011, 04:52 PM   #9
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Ive put about 40k miles on mine, still no problems. As far as ride go, I noticed an improvement in cornering. The only part that sucks is when you drive through anything at all its slung on the side of the truck.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:05 PM   #10
Nightfury is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightfury is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightfury is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightfury is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightfury is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightfury is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightfury is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightfury is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightfury is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightfury is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightfury is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Evan
Nightfury's Tacoma Gallery
I voted they are hard on a truck, but as mentioned, aftermarket rims can be as well. I'd recommend rims over spacers if you can find a rim you like.

WARNING: Here comes the factory trained technician in me.

In either case, they change the stance of the vehicle, the way the wheels articulate during steering and suspension movement, and change the leverage of suspension and steering components. This -could- cause accelerated wear on certain components, but I think that really is nit picking.

That being said, just like any aftermarket product, get a quality set of spacers. Do your research, don't cheap out, and install them properly. I, personally, don't care for wheel spacers because that's an additional mounting point between your rim and hub that can fail.

Just my $.02, and as I said, I'm a Toyota mechanic, working at a dealer, and I value simplicity and fewer points of failure. So by all means, take my opinion with a grain of salt.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:04 AM   #11
jackwithcorona is a jewel in the roughjackwithcorona is a jewel in the roughjackwithcorona is a jewel in the roughjackwithcorona is a jewel in the rough

Firefighter: Goddamned Paratrooper
Name: Mike
jackwithcorona's Tacoma Gallery
Any opinions on the wheelers 1/4" spacers?
Old 04-05-2011, 04:17 AM   #12
He who walk with a Cane
CoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gramps
CoTacoTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Spidertrax, lock tite, and check the bolts. 3 years later and running strong.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:30 AM   #13
Pabst Blue Ribbon on ice
BAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Edward
BAMFTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwithcorona View Post
Any opinions on the wheelers 1/4" spacers?
those spacers are sketchy they make your wheel stud weaker most of the weight is gunna be at the end of the and that's not good
Old 04-05-2011, 10:31 AM   #14
Some do, others talk
jerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerret
jerretxx's Tacoma Gallery
i have spidertrax, love them. The only problem i had was they made my tires rub a little, drives and rides the same though!
Old 04-05-2011, 10:34 AM   #15
jackwithcorona is a jewel in the roughjackwithcorona is a jewel in the roughjackwithcorona is a jewel in the roughjackwithcorona is a jewel in the rough

Firefighter: Goddamned Paratrooper
Name: Mike
jackwithcorona's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I got them because I had a wheel that didn't fit, but even with them it didn't fit, so I'm on stock steelies with no spacers now. Thanks I thought they seemed sketchy
Old 04-05-2011, 10:35 AM   #17
ˇYo Quiero Taco World!
hamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
hamNswiss on rye's Tacoma Gallery
sub
Old 04-06-2011, 02:45 AM   #18
SPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
SPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by luk8272 View Post

Thanks. I PM'd him...
Old 04-22-2011, 10:13 PM   #19
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkeller View Post
No wabbles. Had mine for almost 2 years and no problems. Just male sure you get the spidertrax ones.

x2
Old 04-27-2011, 08:18 AM   #20
inlinejohn has a spectacular aura aboutinlinejohn has a spectacular aura aboutinlinejohn has a spectacular aura about

Name: John
inlinejohn's Tacoma Gallery
love my Spidertrax. No issues