Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Worried about this rust issue

Old 05-15-2011, 04:50 PM   #41
dtacow is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtacow is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtacow is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtacow is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtacow is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtacow is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtacow is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtacow is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtacow is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtacow is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtacow is one of the sharper tools in the shed
dtacow's Tacoma Gallery
If you own a Toyota truck you need to take care of it so it doesn't rust into oblivion. Toyota/DANAs coating is/was completely inadequate. I've had luck using rustoleum clean metal primer/ rusty metal primer and black rustoleum paint.

POR-15 is crap-- peels off in large flakes after time. Not worth the money.

Interestingly, the trucks at a dealership in Colorado now have the frames coated with some sort of hydocarbon-- I swept my finger through it when I was there last. My truck wasn't coated like this when I bought it from the same dealership in 2006.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:55 PM   #42
dtacow is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtacow is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtacow is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtacow is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtacow is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtacow is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtacow is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtacow is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtacow is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtacow is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtacow is one of the sharper tools in the shed
dtacow's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by poynter View Post
There is no "inside" of the frame. its a c channel not a full box. If its that bad you can spray POR-15 directly on the rust. Its expensive but its worth it.
There is an inside to the frame, the front 1/3 is boxed.