Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Worried about this rust issue

Old 04-05-2011, 05:52 AM   #1
the risk is worth the reward
mattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: matt
mattmxracer's Tacoma Gallery
Worried about this rust issue

I have an 08 and the frame has some surface rusting here and there, SHould I be worried or am I just being paranoid? I have been reading about people doing hammer test and removing it with a wire brush and touching it up with rust remover paint. I have even saw pics of people covering the holes that create moisure inside of the frame with some type of alluminum seal. I plan on keeping my truck forever until the wheels fall off, just a little worried they might fall off sooner than I expected...haha.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:12 AM   #2
opinions are like assholes; everyones got one.
TacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TacoSport's Tacoma Gallery
From what I understand the early frames failed due to a missed step in the build process. Yours may just be surface rust and I would leave it alone so as to not void your warranty...
Old 04-05-2011, 06:14 AM   #3
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
my 08 that i bought new was rusting pretty bad and dealer didnt want to do anything about it.it had to fail the hammer test before they would fix it.im as sharp as a marble but wouldnt it make sense for them to prevent replaceing a frame???not sure if you bought new or still have a warranty but if it does go to the dealer and make them coat it under warranty.if not sand it and por15 the frame
Old 04-05-2011, 06:15 AM   #4
poynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to beholdpoynter is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tony
poynter's Tacoma Gallery
There is no "inside" of the frame. its a c channel not a full box. If its that bad you can spray POR-15 directly on the rust. Its expensive but its worth it.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:42 AM   #5
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmxracer View Post
I have an 08 and the frame has some surface rusting here and there, SHould I be worried or am I just being paranoid? I have been reading about people doing hammer test and removing it with a wire brush and touching it up with rust remover paint. I have even saw pics of people covering the holes that create moisure inside of the frame with some type of alluminum seal. I plan on keeping my truck forever until the wheels fall off, just a little worried they might fall off sooner than I expected...haha.
Rust is issue on our trucks.
Clean up as much as you can and paint it with primer then paint. http://www.valsparglobal.com/val/res...tal_primer.jsp

Front of the truck has boxed frame and it rusts inside so also needs to be painted. There is no way to clean rust inside so my solution was to paint first with POR15 then painted with primer and paint. I have two winters in NE with frame painted and it looks perfect so far. Use brush to paint it not a spray you want to make thick coat of paint on it to seal metal from elements.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:53 AM   #6
the risk is worth the reward
mattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: matt
mattmxracer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
Rust is issue on our trucks.
Clean up as much as you can and paint it with primer then paint. http://www.valsparglobal.com/val/res...tal_primer.jsp

Front of the truck has boxed frame and it rusts inside so also needs to be painted. There is no way to clean rust inside so my solution was to paint first with POR15 then painted with primer and paint. I have two winters in NE with frame painted and it looks perfect so far. Use brush to paint it not a spray you want to make thick coat of paint on it to seal metal from elements.
SO I need to sand it and clean it as much as possible, then paint with por15 ( not thick) then prime and paint with a metal primer and paint?
Old 04-05-2011, 06:59 AM   #7
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmxracer View Post
SO I need to sand it and clean it as much as possible, then paint with por15 ( not thick) then prime and paint with a metal primer and paint?
Yes if you can afford POR 15 everywhere. I could not so I used POR 15 only on the inside boxed part of frame (where I could not clean rust at all) everything got a thick coat of primer, then a coat or two of paint to completely seal it off.
Again I used paint brash to get nice 1-2 mm coat of paint. That should be enough to isolate metal from air and moisture. Any spots that will still rust I will re-do again but so far has been good.
BTW I recomend multiple coats on any parts that are washed by wheel splash. Thats where rocks will try to chip the paint out. You can put undercoat o nthe top to make it better.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:59 AM   #8
Lets Go State!
PSUnick is a splendid one to beholdPSUnick is a splendid one to beholdPSUnick is a splendid one to beholdPSUnick is a splendid one to beholdPSUnick is a splendid one to beholdPSUnick is a splendid one to beholdPSUnick is a splendid one to behold

PSUnick's Tacoma Gallery
I am hoping that Toyota will extend the frame corrosion warranty to 15yrs unlimited miles like they did for the older gen Tacoma. The six year corrosion warranty is up for 2005 Tacoma's.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:31 PM   #9
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
Yes if you can afford POR 15 everywhere. I could not so I used POR 15 only on the inside boxed part of frame (where I could not clean rust at all) everything got a thick coat of primer, then a coat or two of paint to completely seal it off.
Again I used paint brash to get nice 1-2 mm coat of paint. That should be enough to isolate metal from air and moisture. Any spots that will still rust I will re-do again but so far has been good.
BTW I recomend multiple coats on any parts that are washed by wheel splash. Thats where rocks will try to chip the paint out. You can put undercoat o nthe top to make it better.
BlueT, I'm curious as to which paint you used for the frame. I have entertained several ideas for coating my frame.

I think I am going to buy some POR-15 and use it, but they clearly state that it works best on a rusted surface or bare metal which isn't possible for me without attempting to remove the cheap toyota frame paint. So my question to you is what brand / type of primer and paint did you use?
Old 04-26-2011, 11:36 PM   #10
ˇYo Quiero Taco World!
hamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
hamNswiss on rye's Tacoma Gallery
sub. i too have a mid second gen (07) that is showing more rust than id like, and has to endure summers basically sitting in the salty ocean.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:00 AM   #11
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
I was changing my winter rim/tire set-up for my summer set-up yesterday and couldn't believe the amount of rust under my 09. It didn't look good at all. I just used a wire brush and scrapped the best I could and then shot it with some rust check paint.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:01 AM   #12
Banned
Kauluwela is just really niceKauluwela is just really niceKauluwela is just really niceKauluwela is just really niceKauluwela is just really nice
Name: Dave
Kauluwela's Tacoma Gallery
Go to the Eastwood website and look at the various rust sollutions. I grew up in Hawaii and my dad has chopped and built many hotrods from decaying old cars with much worse rust problems than yours. http://www.eastwood.com/rust-solutions.html

We always used NAPA Extend back then, but he has told me about several better products out there. Most likely it is a multiple step process, involving:

1) Light wire brush
2)Paint on or spray on rust treatment to neutralize rust
3)Long term paint rust treatment chassis paint

Just know that everyone has some rust. It will take decades to actually do damage to the vehicle. I have seen some bad rust - I think the worst I have ever seen was in New England though - I am not sure WTF they use on the roads out there in the winter.

Good luck!
Old 05-10-2011, 10:31 AM   #13
MSCOFF is a name known to allMSCOFF is a name known to allMSCOFF is a name known to allMSCOFF is a name known to allMSCOFF is a name known to allMSCOFF is a name known to all
Name: Mark
MSCOFF's Tacoma Gallery
Is it helpful or harmful to have the undercarriage washed at the rnd ogf the winter/salt driving season. For a few extra $, car washes often add this in.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:32 AM   #14
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSCOFF View Post
Is it helpful or harmful to have the undercarriage washed at the rnd ogf the winter/salt driving season. For a few extra $, car washes often add this in.
i would do it more often than that if i lived where salt was on the roads or if i drove on the beach any.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:48 AM   #15
ˇYo Quiero Taco World!
hamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
hamNswiss on rye's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauluwela View Post
Go to the Eastwood website and look at the various rust sollutions. I grew up in Hawaii and my dad has chopped and built many hotrods from decaying old cars with much worse rust problems than yours. http://www.eastwood.com/rust-solutions.html

We always used NAPA Extend back then, but he has told me about several better products out there. Most likely it is a multiple step process, involving:

1) Light wire brush
2)Paint on or spray on rust treatment to neutralize rust
3)Long term paint rust treatment chassis paint

Just know that everyone has some rust. It will take decades to actually do damage to the vehicle. I have seen some bad rust - I think the worst I have ever seen was in New England though - I am not sure WTF they use on the roads out there in the winter.

Good luck!
+1 thanks! (banned, nevermind hah)
Old 05-10-2011, 01:03 PM   #16
Hardtooree Member
Blackbear is on a distinguished road
Blackbear's Tacoma Gallery
If you live in a rust belt (snow and salt country) than you SHOULD be worried. Toyota didn't invent it's rust buy-back/frame replacement program for nothing. I'm about to go through my own "truck investment insurance program" for my 2008 Taco (bought in January)...clean off the frame, treat rusted areas with a rust converter to neutralize existing rust, prime all frame surfaces, paint all primed surfaces, apply a DIY wax-type rustproofing. That should last until next year when the last step (rustproofing) will be needed again, and then annually thereafter. The first three steps shouldn't be needed for another 3-4 years if the paint and rustproofing coverage is proper.

A word of caution re painting, and some may disagree but this is from my own experience after painting lots of outside exposed metal surfaces (worked summers painting girders, railings, etc. at a mill). Don't overpaint. Extra-thick layers of paint may look nice but will develop cracks/gaps more often than than will standard 'regular' coats with multiple layers, and the cracks/bubbles that come with thick paint are how water gets trapped on the metal (not unlike what can happen with spray-on rubber undercoating). Once water get's in it'll rust but you might not be able to see the damage until too late. Also, try to hit ALL the frame, inside the boxed sections, top and bottom, and especially at welds and where metal pieces join. The better you can seal the metal across the whole surface (one layer over the next) the less likely that water will get in. Finally, during winter be sure to rinse (not just wet down) the vehicle's frame/undercarriage THOROUGHLY, and as often as possible, to get most of the salt/slush off. This will help your paint job work work better and last longer. Dry salt (that 'white look') isn't nearly as bad as salt mixed with water. Avoid heated garages during winter. All that snow melts onto the salt and....

Too bad they don't make steel truck frames coated with a triple-dip unbreakable metal-bonded plastic outer layer. Truck life would sure be easier.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:15 PM   #17
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
excellent points, it does make a lot of sense. Thanks Blackbear
Old 05-10-2011, 04:38 PM   #18
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbear View Post
Also, try to hit ALL the frame, inside the boxed sections, top and bottom, and especially at welds and where metal pieces join...
I have discovered that the rear spring hangers on the 2nd gen are a spot to watch out for. They are joined to the frame with rivets and for whatever reason the frame seems to rust badly there. My two year old truck that has never seen salt is rusting there. It makes me crazy.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:53 PM   #19
Uncelou1980 is on a distinguished road
Uncelou1980's Tacoma Gallery
Great Info ,,, Thanks for sharing ......
Old 05-12-2011, 06:23 PM   #20
Manual Transmission Enthusiast
TacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaBuzz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
TacomaBuzz's Tacoma Gallery
I've seen many nissans and fords rust out just as easy up here in the snow belt. Maintinence is key regardless of make, you are putting corrosive salt in prolonged contact with steel.