Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Remote Start: Good/Bad

Old 09-23-2008, 04:27 PM   #21
kwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kwalton's Tacoma Gallery
if you do not want the alarm features you can get a remote start that will work off of your factory fob. typically you would have to press the lock button on the factory fob a few times in a sequence to begin the remote start functions. you will also lose a lot of range with the factory fob. my suggestion is to use the new remote which will allow you to remote start and lock and unlock your truck. the factory remote will stay active but you can put it in a drawer as a back up.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:20 PM   #22
Nor*Cal
norcalbb11 has a spectacular aura aboutnorcalbb11 has a spectacular aura about

norcalbb11's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to norcalbb11 Send a message via Yahoo to norcalbb11
yeah im good with that, it was just a thought, thanks for all the responses fellas
Old 09-23-2008, 09:03 PM   #23
AKA "06tacosport"
Lunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beth
Lunercrab's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexbert View Post
I have an 05 with the 6 speed manual. I had the remote start installed nearly 2 years ago. I went with Ultra (http://ultrastarters.com/). Only one I found at the time that was compatible with the stick. Local installer (Installations Unlimited) did the install. Very happy with it.
i didn't know you could have a remote start on a manual...does that mean you'd have to keep it out of gear when parked for it to work?
Old 09-24-2008, 12:11 AM   #24
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06tacosport View Post
does that mean you'd have to keep it out of gear when parked for it to work?
yea the truck would have to be in neutral and the clutch start cancel engaged. Imo i wouldn't like not leaving it in gear but thats just me.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:14 AM   #25
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mz_TazComa View Post
I had the dealer install it. I always negotiated a price for the vehicle and then told the dealer I want the remote start included otherwise I wasn't buying.
So, there is a toyota factory installed remote start available?

What's that run ya - ballpark figure - with installation?

Does that also have a separate remote? Or can Toyota make it work with your current remote (or give you a new remote)?

Thanks! Just coming up with more Christmast ideas....
Old 09-24-2008, 05:09 AM   #26
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06tacosport View Post
i didn't know you could have a remote start on a manual...does that mean you'd have to keep it out of gear when parked for it to work?
They make them for manuals, but it's a pain in the ass. You have to leave the truck running, get out, lock the doors, and turn off with the remote start. Or something like that so the system can verify the engine is running in neutral, but as soon as ANY of the doors are opened (oops! wife forgot something!) the system resets. Which means if you or your wife run out to grab something after you "set" the system, it won't remote start the next morning unless you do the set procedure again. At least, that's the ways systems work that the installers I've talked too would actually install due to liability issues. If I had that I'd probably stop using it within a week!
Old 09-24-2008, 02:56 PM   #27
kwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kwalton's Tacoma Gallery
i just bypassed my clutch so i can always start it without engaging the pedal. i have had remote starts for years and have always driven a manual. i do have a switch which will disengage the starter if i am taking it in for service.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:03 PM   #28
Nor*Cal

so do you seriously have to get a new key with a remote start because they have to put some over ride in the ignition?
Old 09-24-2008, 06:17 PM   #29
kwalton's Tacoma Gallery
most new cars come standard with a transponder based immobilizer system which basically means that there is a chip embedded in your key. i used the valet key and installed it in the bypass module (dei 556u) which will emulate a key in the ignition when you are remote starting
Old 09-24-2008, 11:50 PM   #30
Brian Price is on a distinguished road
Brian Price's Tacoma Gallery
Remote start passerby

Just joined up. This is great all,the trd junkies in one spot
Old 09-25-2008, 05:01 AM   #31
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalbb11 View Post
so do you seriously have to get a new key with a remote start because they have to put some over ride in the ignition?

Only if you want it to work on a model with the engine immobilizer.

They make models that emulate the key without using one I think, but those will be on higher end alarm systems.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:12 AM   #32
Nor*Cal

that sucks because its like 20 for a new key then 60 for them to program the damn thing
Old 09-25-2008, 09:08 AM   #33
Devout Atheist

My dealer wanted $45/key plus programming, and others have said $150 some places for the whole key/program package. So don't loose a key!
Old 09-25-2008, 09:10 AM   #34
Nor*Cal

damn thats pretty bad
Old 09-25-2008, 09:24 AM   #35
Devout Atheist

yeah. I normally have 3-4 spares for my cars. Me, wife, mother, one hanging in the house.... Just in case. Not at the price of these!! I might just have it copied to a blank so I can at least open the doors if I lock the transponder one in the cab.

hell, blanks from Wally World might work too if you already have the transponder key close enough for the remote start to work....