Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Timing chain cover leak???

Old 04-05-2011, 07:25 PM   #1
07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Blake
07 sport 4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Timing chain cover leak???

I just noticed this, should i have this checked out?
Attached Thumbnails
Timing chain cover leak???-dscf4003.jpg  
Old 04-05-2011, 07:28 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
That doesnt really look like a "Leak" but more like some dirt that covered a film of oil. I think your fine.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:29 PM   #3
07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Blake
07 sport 4x4's Tacoma Gallery
thanks, just thought i'd ask. ive heard of some people having leaks around there.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:39 PM   #4
Toyota Technician
That Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud of

That Dude Tim's Tacoma Gallery
Actually I'd go to a dealer and have one of the master techs look at it. We had a 4 Runner last week that we did a timing cover to and it looked really close to that. Better safe than sorry.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:39 PM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Dude Tim View Post
Actually I'd go to a dealer and have one of the master techs look at it. We had a 4 Runner last we that we did a timing cover to and it looked really close to that. Better safe than sorry.
Good point.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:57 PM   #6
jdmbb is on a distinguished road
Army: MS4 ROTC
jdmbb's Tacoma Gallery
my truck looks the same. i gotta go get it check out soon. 3000 miles left on the power train warranty
Old 04-05-2011, 08:59 PM   #7
06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Colin
06BLUEDBLSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same leak they told me i would need a new engine if it was fixed soon. the whole thing was covered under the 60K powertrain warranty. Get your truck to the dealership now just incase
Old 04-05-2011, 09:52 PM   #8
06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold

Name: Ryan
06RadiantRed's Tacoma Gallery
What do you guys think? i was hoping to read more positive replies in this thread. Took this video a few days ago with my cell phone, sorry for the disorienting camera movements. Half of this is taken upside-down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rkJOIlBv7Y?hl=en
Old 04-05-2011, 11:28 PM   #9
TRDfarmerTN is on a distinguished road
TRDfarmerTN's Tacoma Gallery
06radiantred, u def got a leak, id take it in soon! im wondering when u guys start seeing these to leak? and also do all these truck come with a 60k drivetrain warranty or what? mines a 2008 and bought it new but never had any probs so far so i didnt know about the powertrain warranty
Old 04-05-2011, 11:32 PM   #10
06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold

I'm at 72k miles.. no one to take it to except me and my dad on the weekend haha. Shit. From reading around it sounds like the "typical" front timing cover leak. It does not seem like that big of a job at first glance... what do you guys know about it
Old 04-06-2011, 05:49 AM   #11
buddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 2nd Bomb Wing
buddywh1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06RadiantRed View Post
I'm at 72k miles.. no one to take it to except me and my dad on the weekend haha. Shit. From reading around it sounds like the "typical" front timing cover leak. It does not seem like that big of a job at first glance... what do you guys know about it
Take a look at this:
T-SB-0326-08 OCT 08 Engine Mechanical - Oil Leak from Front Timing Cover

It would have been covered under the 60K powertrain warranty, which is sad since it also looks like quite a bit of work. Maybe take it in and see if they do a good-will for you?

I'm wondering how bad it would be, other than getting the engine a little dirty, if you just leave it. If oil useage is tolerable, just be sure to check and add oil as needed.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:22 AM   #12

What is the best way to go about trying to get a good will service done? I searched around but found some random stories that didnt really relate to my situation at all.

Should i go to a dealer first? Or give Toyota a call directly.

IF they don't do it, i see that they give a Toyota tech about 8 hours to do the job, hmm. Kind of frustrating that its a common problem but it still falls under the normal power-train warranty. I wish they would extend warranties on issues that are clearly common. Im sure a fix has been imposed to prevent that on later models. I'm sure they designed that seal to last more than 60k.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:33 AM   #13
buddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06RadiantRed View Post
What is the best way to go about trying to get a good will service done? I searched around but found some random stories that didnt really relate to my situation at all.

Should i go to a dealer first? Or give Toyota a call directly.

IF they don't do it, i see that they give a Toyota tech about 8 hours to do the job, hmm. Kind of frustrating that its a common problem but it still falls under the normal power-train warranty. I wish they would extend warranties on issues that are clearly common. Im sure a fix has been imposed to prevent that on later models. I'm sure they designed that seal to last more than 60k.
I think the best thing would be take it to the dealer, have 'em look at it and agree there's a problem that the TSB applies to fix. When they give you an estimate for repair you'll know the score... then express indignation that the vehicle is 'just' out of warranty and it's obviously a known problem (hence the existence of the TSB) and ask them to go to bat for you with Toyota corporate to give you a good-will warranty extension for this repair. Even if the won't go to bat for you I see no reason you can't contact Toyota on your own, but I think it would help if the dealer is on your side.

It's important to keep your cool and be 'professional' about it, even though you'll likely pay a diagnostic fee if Toyota doesn't help out. Maybe even if they do!
Old 04-06-2011, 10:37 AM   #14
Toyota Technician
That Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud of

That Dude Tim's Tacoma Gallery
No it deff fits the description in the TSB. I helped do one last we and it's fairly involved, expect to get a rental (free) from the dealership. All this has to be removed or set aside:

upper intake
valve covers
ac comnpressor
ac bracket
power steering pump
all pulleys for serp belt
plus more that I don't remember right now

It is possible to do without lowering the front differential for a 4x4. If you are not still in the factory 60k mi powertrain or don't have Toyota Extra Care expect to pay around 11hr labor plus parts.

For anyone not sure themselves and are out of warranty power wash off the area really clean. Then add some dye to the engine oil, there is oil safe dye. Start up engine and check for the oil w/ dye with a blacklight. Hope this helps.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:46 AM   #15

Thanks for the quick replies. Now to find a "nice" dealer in the Bay Area, i bought the truck used with ~63k miles. By the looks of the oil spread, seems like it has been going on for a while

Bay area dealer suggestions?!
Old 04-06-2011, 01:52 PM   #16

Well i called up San Francisco Toyota and talked to a service manager. Seemed like a nice enough guy and saw where i was coming from. Said he would try and talk with Toyota for me about the Good Will warranty. Asked me to email him my VIN and that i would have to come in for a tech to look at it before he can make the call. Hopefully I don't get charged much, if anything for the 3 second glance it should take to figure it out.

Only thing other thing besides my warranty being up that might work against me is that he said they tent to base the Good Will on how much you have serviced your vehicle with Toyota and their service records. I'm not sure what will show up in their computer system, but the last thing i think it had been to a dealer service for was a 50k mile check over before i bought it.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:53 PM   #17
06TXED has a spectacular aura about06TXED has a spectacular aura about

Name: Tony
06TXED's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same leak but I guess that I was being very anal about mine, just did not want to over look a leak that would be under warranty. Still thing about what I want to do. check this thread:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...e-dilemma.html
Old 04-06-2011, 07:00 PM   #18
06TXED has a spectacular aura about06TXED has a spectacular aura about

Name: Tony
06TXED's Tacoma Gallery
which reminds me I need to go check it
Old 04-07-2011, 06:18 AM   #19
BELT FED 2OZ. PULL
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: River Boats,Mike's & PBR'S Viet-Nam 68&69
Name: Jim
river rat 69's Tacoma Gallery
Had my o7 done 3/8/11 . 3 days at dealer, was back on 3/15/11 for ac noise back3/25/11 valve covers not tight. Changed spark plugs myself and found valve covers not tight. 4/5/11 ac started making grind sound. Had it checked by pal at a ford dealer he thinks ac pulley is bad due to real tight belt. Called toyota USA yesterday told them i need a new dealer to go over this thing. They had to smoke this over and will call me back. Dealers and toyota USA are not what they were ten years ago. Careful who works on your ride!! Jim
Old 04-07-2011, 07:24 AM   #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by river rat 69 View Post
... Careful who works on your ride!! Jim
Have to agree with that... that's why I asked if it would be so bad to live with a little leak (operative word LITTLE). IMO, checking oil a little more frequent is far preferable to all the heartache of a complicated job done bad.