Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

volant cold air intake, engine light on

Old 04-05-2011, 09:58 PM   #1
k2jacob789 is on a distinguished road
k2jacob789's Tacoma Gallery
volant cold air intake, engine light on

hi folks i have a question, i just installed a volant cold air intake, i relplaced my k & N that i had. i noticed a little difference when i changed it over to the volant. the next day the engine light came on. i took it to the mechanic and he hooked up his computer to it, it said something like " lean air" can't remember exactly what the error said. he reset it the later in the day it come on again. any suggestions
Old 04-06-2011, 03:22 AM   #2
White Tank
SkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud of

Name: Josh
SkyHighTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Well if its because its running lean, that means your a/f ratio isnt good and your getting to much air and not enough fuel. And thats NOT good. Unless its just throwing that code and its wrong?
Old 04-06-2011, 03:41 AM   #3
White Tank
SkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud of

Name: Josh
SkyHighTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
common problem with the volant..............

If u do a search, u will find people complaining about the engine light, then some of the same ppl have volants for sale shortly after.

Its the 1 reason I went with the AFE stage 2Si over the volant.........Even the large prices they demand for the volant ram air scoop didnt effect my decision.......Soley based on the check engine light issues with volant.

Going through the control panel here on the forum, and filling in your information (truck yr, engine size ETC) will help in the future possibly.
I read that same thing about the Volant.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:13 AM   #4
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rod
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
common problem with the volant..............

If u do a search, u will find people complaining about the engine light, then some of the same ppl have volants for sale shortly after.

Its the 1 reason I went with the AFE stage 2Si over the volant.........Even the large prices they demand for the volant ram air scoop didnt effect my decision.......Soley based on the check engine light issues with volant.

Going through the control panel here on the forum, and filling in your information (truck yr, engine size ETC) will help in the future possibly.
More than likely this. Only known fixes for it are; remove it; or, URD MAF calibrator. My understanding is the the Volant intake's cross section is larger than stock. The stock MAF sensor is calibrated for a specific intake cross section. Since the Volant is larger, the MAF sensor reads less air passing by then what actually is, and adjusts the fuel to what it thinks is there as opposed to what is actually there. This makes for a lean condition.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:49 AM   #5
check engine light

guys what should i do about the check engine light situation. i'm i damaging my engine
Old 04-06-2011, 08:49 AM   #6
check engine light

guys what should i do about the check engine light situation. i'm i damaging my engine
Old 04-06-2011, 09:43 AM   #7
Ainokea
RecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecklessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
RecklessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2jacob789 View Post
The only way to fix that problem is the URD MAF Calibrator!
Old 04-06-2011, 09:45 AM   #8
wes mantooth ™
Joben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: I Babysit Adults
Name: Joben
Joben7726's Tacoma Gallery
but the MAF calibrator only works in an OPEN LOOP. (above about 2000 RPM) just FYI.

and i have the Volant intake...anyone want it??????
Old 04-06-2011, 10:24 AM   #9
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rod
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joben7726 View Post
but the MAF calibrator only works in an OPEN LOOP. (above about 2000 RPM) just FYI.

and i have the Volant intake...anyone want it??????
But in Closed loop, the AF ratio is more driven by the O2 sensors. Again, according to what I've researched and read, as I have no actual experience with the Volant.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:34 AM   #10
Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo
babbott is on a distinguished road
babbott's Tacoma Gallery
make sure the MAF sensor is as vertical as possible. I had the same problem and after some adjusting to the intake tract mine seems to have gone away. The intake tract tube is a POS! The mounting for the MAF is the worst I have ever seen.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:21 PM   #11
wes mantooth ™
Joben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: I Babysit Adults
Name: Joben
Joben7726's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by babbott View Post
make sure the MAF sensor is as vertical as possible. I had the same problem and after some adjusting to the intake tract mine seems to have gone away. The intake tract tube is a POS! The mounting for the MAF is the worst I have ever seen.
That is the truth...
Old 04-06-2011, 01:26 PM   #12
K1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shedK1992f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kanon
K1992f's Tacoma Gallery
Ok looks like I'm not buying this S$&T .... Almost did today