1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2006 Prerunner front-end suspension kits

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by glassman, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Apr 5, 2011 at 9:41 PM
    glassman

glassman [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    maryland
    Vehicle:
    2006 prerunner
    Hello all,

I'm completely new to the forums, and bought a 2006 Prerunner about 6 months ago. I think this question has been asked a number of times, but I can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for. I was was wondering what the "best" cost-effective front-end kit would be for my baby. I'm ideally looking for something with coilovers and at least upper control arms. I've checked out the Total Chaos (I think it's called) kit, and unfortunately ~$3k w/shocks before installation is out of my price range. I'm thinking I can spend maybe upwards of 2.5k *with* installation, if that helps any.

To possibly help clarify, here's a little background info: My first vehicle ever was a 1996 toyota pickup, 2wd (almost brand new then!). I saved up my hard-earned money and bought a Fabtech front end lift kit, which came with upper control arms (and the appropriate random stuff), and some bilsteins. I broke various things on that damn kit over about 6 months, and ended up having a guy I knew make me some upper/lower control arms, and a tower to mount some new bilsteins. Effectively, I do not want to repeat the mistake, and buy something that is too cheap and will take a dump on me if I ever decide to have too much fun. That being said, I'm not sure how sturdy the stock lower arms are, or if they are typically replaced on any decent prerunner setup.

So, any input/help with respect to any kits that might be alternatives to the relatively expensive total chaos kit would be great. I've been out of this game for some years now, but I'm quite excited to get some work done on the "new" truck. Any advice is much appreciated!

thanks.

2. Apr 6, 2011 at 4:20 AM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Did you take a gander at this?
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/11282-tacoma-lift-faq-guide-read.html

Since you have a prerunner, really the best way to lift it is with spindles. They will cost you 1k, and you don't even need new shocks, springs, ucas or any of that, they don't change the ride at all.

3. Apr 6, 2011 at 6:31 PM
    glassman

glassman [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    maryland
    Vehicle:
    2006 prerunner
    thank you, i will check that out. funny that you mentioned spindles though, that was precisely what broke 3-4 times with my fabtech lift (it did not come with spindles).

Products Discussed in

To Top