1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Beach Driving?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SurfnWolf, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Sep 23, 2008 at 12:16 PM
    SurfnWolf

SurfnWolf [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fayetteville NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Prerunner Double Cab
    How well will a 2wd Tacoma handle beach driving, if it has the LSD in the back? A few beachs here in NC are open to vehicles with 4 wheel drive, but I wonder if the Tacoma will handle ok.?

2. Sep 23, 2008 at 12:19 PM
    Ahaszard

Ahaszard Active Member

Member:
    St Augustine, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 Black TRD Off Road Rugged Trail
    I know on the Outter Banks you will get stuck before you get off some of the ramps without 4x4. I do not know about other NC beaches. You do not need 4 wheel drive here in St Augustine Beach unless it is mid summer and the sand gets chewed up.

3. Sep 23, 2008 at 12:21 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    I drive on the beach (often in soft sand) with my Prerunner on an almost weekely basiss and have been driving on the beach with nothing but 2wds since I was 14. All you gotta do is follow a few simple rules:

• Bring an air compressor (Costco sells one for $30) and air down when you get to the beach. Make sure you air back up before hitting the pavement again.
    • Keep your momentum up
    • Dont stop in soft sand unless you have to. If you do, start moving again slowly.
    • If you can, stick to the harder packed stuff since you don't have much experience with this.
    • Once your stuck in the sand, don't bother flooring it or trying to get out on your own like that. you'll just bury yourself. Its easy enough to push or get pulled out
    • NEVER cut your wheels in soft sand, especially when your just starting to move
    I've never gotten any vehicle stuck on the beach, ever. Even when the ramp I get on the beach has a sign saying "4X4 ONLY" infront of it. You just gonna know what your doing.

4. Sep 23, 2008 at 12:25 PM
    Dustin03

Dustin03 The Cooler King

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Expeditionary vehicle in training.
    Old Man Emu 2.5" lift, brush guard (about to be changed), grey-wire mod, custom bed mounts for 4 jerrycans, custom survival box, maglite mount, KC Dayliters.
    Beach sand is going to be a challenge for a 2-wheeler but it can be done. I use to drive my buddy's half-ton Ram on really soft sand without any problem; it all comes down to driver skill.

1) Air down the tires to maybe 10-12 psi
    2) Treat that accelerator like your first-born child is sleeping underneath it
    3) If you get stuck DO NOT give it more throttle; the key is to find a way to increase traction, not dig a hole
    4) When you're on sand, keep going until you find a place that the tires won't sink into
    5) Keep the locker engaged and avoid sharp turns
    6) Have another vehicle with you because having a buddy pull you out is better than begging for help from some stranger you met on the beach

That's the best advice I can give you. If you aren't willing to accept the possibility of getting stuck and needing help, just keep away from the beach. But if you're careful, you should be fine. :cool:

5. Sep 23, 2008 at 12:32 PM
    Ahaszard

Ahaszard Active Member

Member:
    St Augustine, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 Black TRD Off Road Rugged Trail
    If you are talking about driving in Florida sand in 2wd it can be done. However, if you are talking about driving on the beaches from Buxton to Hattaras Village NC you will not make it. Sometimes 4x4 get stuck trying to get out to the Cape Point.

6. Sep 23, 2008 at 12:35 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    Never been to OBX, so I can't really comment on that. Thats how I've been driving in (Florida) sand for years and havn't had a problem. If I went with a 4x4 buddy I'd probably try driving at OBX as well.

7. Sep 23, 2008 at 12:38 PM
    tacoskim

tacoskim Tuned By Gadget

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD 4x4 Pyrite Mica
    Stock

get some snow chains!! ahaha wtf :confused::confused: did i make sense :crazy:

just jokin, bored at work

8. Sep 23, 2008 at 12:38 PM
    Burns

Burns Excellent Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.0", Wheelers 1.5" AAL, 265/75/16 Firestone Destination AT2's
    I am in NJ and dont even try and go on the beaches here with 2wd you def get stuck.

9. Oct 3, 2008 at 6:34 PM
    billabonghotrod

billabonghotrod Member

Member:
    I'm from Hatteras and drive out on the beach all the time. My truck drove better in 2wd with stock 245 tires but much better in 4wd with 285 tires. You should be fine as long as you don't stop in soft spots and watch out for red sand.

10. Oct 4, 2008 at 9:56 AM
    TheOne

TheOne Beach Prerunner

Member:
    East Coast, nc
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner Impulse red
    stock

I live in Wilmington area and have the prerunner, you may be able to drive on the north end of Carolina beach on the packed sand but you will have to get through the soft sand between to get there, your biggest asset will be if you have any kind of lift from tall tires or something to get your hoggs head and oil pan out of the sand. I have been out with factory equipment and it is a b*@#$ to keep from bottoming out in the soft stuff.

11. Oct 4, 2008 at 9:59 AM
    TheOne

TheOne Beach Prerunner

Member:
    East Coast, nc
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner Impulse red
    stock

Couldnt do that in a 2wd truck here around the Wilmington beaches you would be in sand up to your side steps as soon as you try to take off again

12. Oct 4, 2008 at 10:53 AM
    1bad03snake

1bad03snake Well-Known Member

Member:
    Baytown,TX
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD
    none but please give me your info.
    I use to drive on crystal beach, but after hurricane IKE I hear there is no sand. I'm going to try rock crawling

13. Feb 12, 2010 at 8:45 PM
    Przemekmsu

Przemekmsu Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Przemek
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tacoma, SR5 V6, 4x4 TRD Off Road
    K&N Air Filter, WickedFlow Exhaust muffler
    Its a very simple concept, if you bought a 2 wheel drive stay on hard surfaces, and if you got 4 wheel drive go anywhere you little heart desires.

14. Feb 12, 2010 at 8:52 PM
    Burgman

Burgman I KEEEEEL YOU

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Ric VA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD sport Silver
    K&N intake, Boston Acoustic SL 60 6.5 components up front, Rockford Power T16 6.5 in rear, Pioneer P4100 HU, Soon to be Pioneer Prs 4200f
    i went out in obx with my prerunner and was fine up until i had to stop b/c a range rover was stuck, which had stickers on it that said best 4x4 in the world, and he was at the opening of the beach... it was hella hard for me to get pushed out at that point, i was in the soft sand parallel to the beach with no momentamum

Products Discussed in

To Top