1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pre-runner w/ a manual - how to get one?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DrZero, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Apr 7, 2011 at 2:41 PM
    DrZero

DrZero [OP] Member

Member:
    Clark County Washington
    Vehicle:
    T100 V6 4X4
    I'm looking at building a truck up to race in the desert (BITD 7300 class) and my mechanic thinks highly of the Tacoma Prerunner. I'm out looking at the Toyota web site and it appears that the Prerunner is only available with a slushbox regardless of whether you get the 4 or 6 cylinder engine.

I am a die-hard stick guy. What's the advantage of the Prerunner package? Would I really be missing out on much by getting a plain vanilla Tacoma extracab V6 w/ the highly desirable 6 speed manual? Could I swap in the Prerunner shocks & stuff?

Finally, was there a previous model year where the combo I'm looking for was a factory option?

(As an aside: I find Toyota's model thing strange. Nissan and Ford both let you mix and match cab length, engine size, 2 or 4 wheel drive, and tranny choice pretty much at will. Toyota's pre-configurations seem to leave a lot of desirable options out: like a shortbed 2x4 V6 w/ 6 speed. The ultimate street truck setup...., not to mention the Prerunner w/ a stick.)

2. Apr 7, 2011 at 3:01 PM
    jassco

jassco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Offroad
    Toyota's answer for that is a X-runner. Pre-runner is 2wd but same clearance/suspension as the 4x4. Side by side they look the same height stock. I'm not sure there is more to it as it's only a version of the access cab or double cab body styles. Go on Toyota site and you can compare them side by side with several other body and packages to see what is different.

Pretty sure older models had stick option but varries by region a lot:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/128-what-exactly-prerunner.html

3. Apr 7, 2011 at 3:48 PM
    TACK

TACK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner TRD Off-Road MGM
    Bilstein 5100s at 1.75", Level 8 Tracker wheels, white lithium grease mod for creaky clutch pedal
    Maybe I'll let you buy mine. :p

Products Discussed in

To Top