Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tacoma bike fork mount

Old 05-12-2007, 11:49 AM   #1
TacomaDave07 is on a distinguished road

TacomaDave07's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma bike fork mount

I have the Tacoma bike fork mounts that attach to the bed rail cleats for transporting bikes. I'm wondering if anyone has had any problems with these. I have not, yet. The reason I ask is because the cleat rotates a few degrees and it can't be tightened more since the knob rachets(?) to prevent over-tightening. Since there is a little bit of rotation, the bike very noticeably rocks side-to-side whenever I back out of the driveway, turn a corner, hit a dip in the road. I'm wondering if the cleat could loosen over time and dump my bike on the freeway, tearing up my truck in the process. Longest drive I've had so far is 45 minutes and the cleat knob is still as tight as possible afterwards.
Thanks for any input!
Tacoma bike fork mount-tacoma-bike-sm.jpg

Tacoma bike fork mount-tacoma-fork-mount-sm.jpg
Old 05-12-2007, 09:45 PM   #2
evolution6972 is on a distinguished road

evolution6972's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to evolution6972
i dont see why they would give the tie downs havent given out on me and i put them to the test but one thing i think about is hard stops what happends when some ass gets in front of you and stops hard bike will lung up so what i do is put a bungee or roap through the back tire and tie it to the back d rings no more bike movement on turns and nothing when short stops happen
Old 05-13-2007, 08:49 AM   #3
spp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to behold
spp's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't like the slop in the fit so I used some duct tape behind the cleat to tighten it up and used some straps to hold my tandem tight. Also push in real hard when tightening the knob and you can make it a little tighter. You could use 2 cleats and make it really secure but this was only a temporay mount for me until my shell arrived. Anyone need any of these I have 2.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:58 AM   #4
evolution6972 is on a distinguished road

evolution6972's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to evolution6972
i am interested in them i was considering buying some how much
Old 06-19-2007, 11:42 AM   #5
EvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EvilBetty's Tacoma Gallery
Still got em?
Old 09-29-2007, 09:03 PM   #6
Silver_Jim is on a distinguished road
Silver_Jim's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Silver_Jim Send a message via Yahoo to Silver_Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaDave07 View Post
I have the Tacoma bike fork mounts that attach to the bed rail cleats for transporting bikes. I'm wondering if anyone has had any problems with these. I have not, yet. The reason I ask is because the cleat rotates a few degrees and it can't be tightened more since the knob rachets(?) to prevent over-tightening. Since there is a little bit of rotation, the bike very noticeably rocks side-to-side whenever I back out of the driveway, turn a corner, hit a dip in the road. I'm wondering if the cleat could loosen over time and dump my bike on the freeway, tearing up my truck in the process. Longest drive I've had so far is 45 minutes and the cleat knob is still as tight as possible afterwards.
Thanks for any input!
Attachment 144

Attachment 145
thanks for the pics... btw, how many bikes do you think you can put side by side 2 or 3?
Old 09-30-2007, 08:44 AM   #7
spp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to behold
spp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Jim View Post
thanks for the pics... btw, how many bikes do you think you can put side by side 2 or 3?
That would depend on the width of the bikes bars now wouldn't it?
If you let some of it hang over the edge you should be able to get 3.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:25 AM   #8
Silver_Jim is on a distinguished road
Silver_Jim's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Silver_Jim Send a message via Yahoo to Silver_Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by spp View Post
That would depend on the width of the bikes bars now wouldn't it?
If you let some of it hang over the edge you should be able to get 3.
Yes, it would. Handle bars can always be turned so that really should be an issue. So I am estimating 3 but curious if anyone has done it?
Old 10-01-2007, 04:59 AM   #9
Secret Agent
Viper-2 will become famous soon enough
Viper-2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolution6972 View Post
i dont see why they would give the tie downs havent given out on me and i put them to the test but one thing i think about is hard stops what happends when some ass gets in front of you and stops hard bike will lung up so what i do is put a bungee or roap through the back tire and tie it to the back d rings no more bike movement on turns and nothing when short stops happen

The longest run-on sentence ever!