Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Whirring noise, hum, small vibration starting at around 30mph

Old 04-08-2011, 08:17 AM   #1
Taco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Taco93's Tacoma Gallery
Whirring noise, hum, small vibration starting at around 30mph

Hey, I have a 06 Taco, auto, and I have this strange whirring noise that I hear at aournd 30mph...and the faster I go the faster the whirring noise goes...and the same when I start to slow down. There is a small vibration in the floor as well. I changed the tires as I was told the old ones were cupped and aggressive and that could be my problem but now the noise is lounder with brand new tires (not aggressive at all). I've checked all fluids and I even had the shop check the wheel bearings and he said all was good. (although he just checked for play in the bearings).

Its driving me nuts, I am going to have to go to the dealer soon...Any help would be appreciated.... Thanks
Old 04-08-2011, 08:45 AM   #2
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Wheel bearing. Try and listen to the bearing, a long screwdriver would work.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:05 AM   #3
06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold

Name: Ryan
06RadiantRed's Tacoma Gallery
Is your truck lifted?

Dont go to the dealer yet.

It very well could be wheel bearings. My right bearing was going out and started making noise around the same speed you are talking about.

The wheel showed NO signs of a bad bearing, except for the noise. There was no play in any direction, rolled smooth when turned by hand. When i took it out and got it replaced, looked at the old bearing, it was pitting on the top.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:08 AM   #4
plee33 will become famous soon enoughplee33 will become famous soon enough
Name: Peter
plee33's Tacoma Gallery
Wheel Bearing.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:32 AM   #5
antatich is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement: Volunteer Police
Name: Tony
antatich's Tacoma Gallery
^^ X2 Try removing the wheel and manually turning the hub by hand and see if it feels smooth or somewhat rachety (also put a hand on the bottom of the tire and the other hand on the top and move your arms back and for the check for play). If not smooth or has play then replace it.