Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

front emblem removal

Old 09-23-2008, 08:45 PM   #1
do w3rk!
deadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

deadbolt's Tacoma Gallery
front emblem removal

I am about to paint my front emblem black but was wondering how to remove it? Is it held on by glue or is it a clip on? Thanks
Old 09-23-2008, 08:46 PM   #2
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
u can simply reach in from behind the grille surround and push in the top 2 clips and it'll pop out
Old 09-23-2008, 08:47 PM   #3
Bourbon
EquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
EquinsuOcha's Tacoma Gallery
It's a clip on. If you look behind the grille, you'll see the clips. Be careful though, they are plastic after all.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:48 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbolt View Post
I am about to paint my front emblem black but was wondering how to remove it? Is it held on by glue or is it a clip on? Thanks
its held on by emblem tape. run some fishing line in behind it and slide it on thru........it will come on off. one tip.......do it on a hot sunny day after the truck has been sitting, they will come off real easy, then clean the area,if there is emblem glue/tape left with goo gone, then wash the area real good.

edit......holy shit i dont read!!!!! my fault for glancing....carry on.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:48 PM   #5
do w3rk!
deadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks guys! super quick replies from both.. add rep for both
Old 09-23-2008, 08:49 PM   #6
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
its held on by emblem tape. run some fishing line in behind it and slide it on thru........it will come on off. one tip.......do it on a hot sunny day after the truck has been sitting, they will come off real easy, then clean the area,if there is emblem glue/tape left with goo gone, then wash the area real good.
crazy redneck....questions are for professionals....lol
Old 09-23-2008, 08:49 PM   #7
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
crazy redneck....questions are for professionals....lol
i edited my response!!! i need a damn beer!!!
Old 09-23-2008, 10:25 PM   #8
do w3rk!

What is a good way to put the badges back on. 3M tape? or is there a better method?
Old 09-23-2008, 11:56 PM   #9
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbolt View Post
What is a good way to put the badges back on. 3M tape? or is there a better method?
the 3M double sided stuff will work just fine. If you want you can cut the tape out the the shape of the letters and then stick them on.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoNut View Post
the 3M double sided stuff will work just fine. If you want you can cut the tape out the the shape of the letters and then stick them on.
yep...this is how i did mine when i painted them black.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:57 PM   #11
do w3rk!

To update this thread, Here are some pictures of my blacked out emblem that I did today. Also I debadged the 'V6 SR5' on the tailgate

Old 09-24-2008, 08:22 PM   #12
rkdiddy is on a distinguished road

rkdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good - welcome to the club! :-)
Old 09-24-2008, 08:23 PM   #13
Sooooooper Moderator

i'll have to post a pic of my blacked out emblem on the 09...the grey inner grill color make it really stand out
Old 09-24-2008, 08:24 PM   #14
do w3rk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkdiddy View Post
Looks good - welcome to the club! :-)
Thanks. It makes the truck look that much better!
Old 09-24-2008, 08:25 PM   #15
do w3rk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
i'll have to post a pic of my blacked out emblem on the 09...the grey inner grill color make it really stand out
Yahh post away!
Old 09-24-2008, 09:56 PM   #16
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
Did mine a couple of weeks ago...

idk what i wanna do with the chrome grill surround... I'd love some sort of black chrome.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:18 PM   #17
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
What kind of paint? Did you primer or scuff before painting? I'm doing this this weekend.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:21 PM   #18

TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
I just used the Krylon paint. Didn't even have to scuff it. Just make sure you give it three or four good coats, and a clear coat probably wouldn't hurt (I didn't but it would protect it better)
I was looking to do it in flat black but all the had was the gloss. I must say the gloss is growing on me though.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:17 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
What kind of paint? Did you primer or scuff before painting? I'm doing this this weekend.
a good way to do it is to wash the emblem with some dawn dish soap to remove any kind of wax or residue and dry it good, then use some adhesion promoter......it really helps paint bond to plastic, the use whatever paint you want. krylon fusion or duplicolor will work really well.........and if you use the adhesion promoter and some krylon fusion.....you shouldnt ever have any problems with paint chipping or peeling at all, just be sure to do a few real good but light coats of each until the emblem is covered and smooth.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:41 AM   #20
Stock Taco For Now
311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed311offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
311offroad's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone have pics of they're whole grill blacked out? Preferably on a white truck. Damn I hate all that chrome.