Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Trailers

Old 04-10-2011, 04:23 AM   #1
mullica woods'er is on a distinguished road
mullica woods'er's Tacoma Gallery
Trailers

I'm looking to get a trailer for towing fourwheeler,firewood,misc.My qwestion is how much weight should the trailer be itself?I'm not going with aluminum.Should i go with dual axle,or single?Anyway,i wan't a 5x10 or say 10x6.Also it needs to be road worthy in the sense of traveling out of state.In my area on craigslist there is dual axle,10x6,wood deck trailer for sale,and they are asking 675.00.Is that a fair price?I am looking for used.I have V6 4x4,plus towing package.My real concern is weight of the trailer itself,before loading it down.So i thought maybe dual axle might be to heavy.But 5x10 or 10x6 is small.Ok,thanks for the help.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:46 AM   #2
Some days you watch the show, and some days...
Drainbung is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrainbung is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrainbung is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrainbung is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrainbung is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrainbung is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrainbung is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrainbung is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrainbung is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrainbung is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrainbung is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT2(SS)
Name: Bob
Drainbung's Tacoma Gallery
Trailer

I've got a 5X10 single axle (Premier is the brand) wood deck and it weighs about 900# empty. I paid $950 new.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:52 AM   #3
Back in the game!
Wile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
Wile's Tacoma Gallery
Dual axle will tow and track better. Each axle usual has a 3500 lbs rating. Are you looking for a covered or uncovered trailer? $675 seems about right for a used tandem axle open flat bed trailer. Why not aluminum if you are concerned with dry trailer weight?
Old 04-10-2011, 06:02 AM   #4
i say no on aluminum,because of price.They are more xpensive.Yes,i'm looking for open trailer,not enclosed.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:11 AM   #5
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
I bought a 4x8 trailer from harbor freight for $200 brand new 5 years ago.the best trailer I ever owned. It tows perfect at 75-80 mpg. Folds up out of the way.I use it alot for doing my side work. I load the sucker up every weekend with central air units and it's never giving me a problem.I think they make a bigger trailer and I have a store local to me so no shipping
Old 04-10-2011, 06:13 AM   #6
03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all

03coma's Tacoma Gallery
LoadRite is a good trailer, I use mine to lug my ATV and misc project material.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:18 AM   #7
Member Me
Wayner275 is on a distinguished road

Wayner275's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Wayner275
I have a 5x10 single axle and I wish I had a dual. As Wile said, dual axle tows better and doesn't shake the crap out of whatever you are hauling. Get the extra capacity with trailer brakes and you won't be disappointed.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:31 AM   #8
mach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmach1man001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
mach1man001's Tacoma Gallery
I picked up a used trailer being sold on the side of the road. Bought it for only $125. It was made by a local welder that also makes trailers. It is very well built. It is a 4x8 steel trailer with wood bottom and 1ft steel sides and open slots for if I want to extend them up with a single 3000lb axle. Very handy to have. I have carried all kinds of stuff (1.5 cubic yards of gravel, loam, atv) in it before no problem. So keep looking around you can find some great deals.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:59 AM   #9
RZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
RZRob's Tacoma Gallery
My only advice is biggest diameter wheels possible and run Bearing Buddies. Keep 'em greased. Small diameter wheels run hot and suffer bearing and tire failure - often.

RZ Rob
Old 04-10-2011, 08:03 AM   #10
Sheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sheppy
Sheppymach's Tacoma Gallery
Your in south jersey go over to Franklin trailer over in Berlin. I got one there years ago

http://www.franklintrailers.com/
Old 04-10-2011, 08:10 AM   #11
Sheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shed

theres a bunch on there scratch & dent page cheap

http://www.franklintrailers.com/ScratchandDent.htm
Old 04-10-2011, 09:23 AM   #12
hey folks,

thanks for all the replys.I am keeping my eye out for a used one.I figured a dual axle would be more stable.I know our trucks are more than capable.Electric brake setup would be nice.I just started looking,and i got a little time to pick though the ones for sale used.later.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:11 AM   #13

I've hauled 2 street bikes to NJMP on my 5x8 single axle w/no problems. Found myself doing 80+ once in a while and never having a problem.