Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2.7 Liter 4x4 First impressions, gas mileage.

Old 05-13-2007, 06:52 PM   #1
Mudbug is on a distinguished road

Mudbug's Tacoma Gallery
2.7 Liter 4x4 First impressions, gas mileage.

Ok so I know this has somewhat been discussed. I just bought a new 2007 Tacoma Regular cab 4x4 2.7 manual. So I have 1500 miles on it and I've been getting about 22mpg average on a tank with some city and some highway. Which i'm pretty happy with however i'm thinking about changing a few things and seeing if I can do better.
Has anyone with the 2.7 liter 4x4 put a different muffler or intake on it? I'm thinking about putting a K&N cold air intake kit on it along with a borla XR-1 muffler with the stock piping.
How about putting synthetic oil in the rear differential? Anyone noticed a difference there?
So far I really like the truck, I have a 1993 mercury capri that weighs 2200lbs and has 300hp and I was afraid I was just going to drive myself crazy with how slow it is, but its really not that bad. Its definately not a 12 second car but it will move in traffic.
Ok anyone have any opinions on what to get for a front bumper/grill guard? I want something I can hook a winch up to and I'd rather not spend $800 on it any suggestions? I'm thinking about getting out the TIG and making something myself.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:45 PM   #2
TacomaRyan is on a distinguished road

TacomaRyan's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm

I came across some solid info from this site. check it out. It explains the difference in which gas mileage is and should be rated.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:00 PM   #3
surfponto is on a distinguished road
surfponto's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudbug View Post
Ok so I know this has somewhat been discussed. I just bought a new 2007 Tacoma Regular cab 4x4 2.7 manual. So I have 1500 miles on it and I've been getting about 22mpg average on a tank with some city and some highway. Which i'm pretty happy with however i'm thinking about changing a few things and seeing if I can do better.
Has anyone with the 2.7 liter 4x4 put a different muffler or intake on it? I'm thinking about putting a K&N cold air intake kit on it along with a borla XR-1 muffler with the stock piping.
How about putting synthetic oil in the rear differential? Anyone noticed a difference there?
So far I really like the truck, I have a 1993 mercury capri that weighs 2200lbs and has 300hp and I was afraid I was just going to drive myself crazy with how slow it is, but its really not that bad. Its definately not a 12 second car but it will move in traffic.
Ok anyone have any opinions on what to get for a front bumper/grill guard? I want something I can hook a winch up to and I'd rather not spend $800 on it any suggestions? I'm thinking about getting out the TIG and making something myself.
We have the same truck. Best I have seen is 23 mpg which was heavy freeway. (San Diego to Santa Barbara)

Worst around town has been over 19.
Not too bad considering it is a 4x4.
Pretty happy with it.

Of course if they introduced a diesel I would jump on it and never look back.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:36 AM   #4
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfponto View Post
Of course if they introduced a diesel I would jump on it and never look back.
AMEN!!!
Old 06-21-2007, 10:36 AM   #5
ksigtuck is on a distinguished road
ksigtuck's Tacoma Gallery
Gas Mileage

Hey guys this is my first post on here. I have an '06 2.7 4x4 access cab which has really surprised me on gas mileage. I now have 32,000 miles on the truck and the gas mileage seems to just get better and better. My last 5-10 tanks have avg. 24 miles per gallon with my last tank getting 24.5. Not bad at all for a stock 4x4.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:48 AM   #6
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksigtuck View Post
Hey guys this is my first post on here. I have an '06 2.7 4x4 access cab which has really surprised me on gas mileage. I now have 32,000 miles on the truck and the gas mileage seems to just get better and better. My last 5-10 tanks have avg. 24 miles per gallon with my last tank getting 24.5. Not bad at all for a stock 4x4.
Welcome to TW!

Man, I hope my PreRunner's mileage keeps getting better. that would be awesome.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:08 AM   #7
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksigtuck View Post
My last 5-10 tanks have avg. 24 miles per gallon with my last tank getting 24.5. Not bad at all for a stock 4x4.
That's very impressive. I am getting about 17-18 mpg, but I have a lead foot.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:25 AM   #8
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer J View Post
That's very impressive. I am getting about 17-18 mpg, but I have a lead foot.
You also have a V6
Old 06-21-2007, 11:42 AM   #9
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
You also have a V6
Really
Old 06-21-2007, 12:13 PM   #10
ksigtuck is on a distinguished road
ksigtuck's Tacoma Gallery
While the majority of my driving is interstate with the cruise set around 75 or so I don't think I have ever had a tank less than 21.5 - 22 mpg when driving around town.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:39 PM   #11
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer J View Post
Really
i believe so
Old 06-21-2007, 12:45 PM   #12

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
i believe so
I am just busting your chops man. Its all good. I got 15-16 mpg in my old 98 3RZ (4-banger)4x4 taco so 24mpg is awesome.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:35 PM   #13
Mudbug is on a distinguished road

Mudbug's Tacoma Gallery
Woot! First road trip....It has 6k miles on it now...I went to austin from North dallas and back...I averaged 25.3 mpg!! I was averaging around 70-75mph.
I'm very impressed.