Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

EFI & Oil Injection Cleaning Every 25K?

Old 09-24-2008, 09:10 AM   #1
slimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant future

slimcubby's Tacoma Gallery
EFI & Oil Injection Cleaning Every 25K?

I got a notice in the mail with my statement that they recomend an electronic fuel and oil injection cleaning once every 25k or 2 years that costs $119.95.

Now is this something that I will need? I have been doing the 5k services myself with Mobile 1 truck and suv 5w30 religiously. Any input would help...
Old 09-24-2008, 09:42 AM   #2
CometKat is a jewel in the roughCometKat is a jewel in the roughCometKat is a jewel in the rough
CometKat's Tacoma Gallery
I ran nothing but Chevron (occasionally Shell) for 20 years in my old truck and never had to service the injectors. Just avoid junk gas and you’ll be good. Not sure what oil injection is though.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:45 AM   #3
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
i say run good gas, and every once in a while, run a bottle of techron in the tank, and run some seafoam thru the brake booster line....you'll be good to go.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:41 PM   #4
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Also redline it once in awhile... how's it gunna gunk up at WOT? :P
Old 09-24-2008, 12:50 PM   #5
slimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyouto42 View Post
is this seriously a good way to keep them from getting dirty?
Old 09-24-2008, 12:52 PM   #6
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimcubby View Post
no not really, but it doesn't hurt either
Old 09-24-2008, 01:05 PM   #7
Wherever I May Roam
SteelCity will become famous soon enoughSteelCity will become famous soon enough

Navy: Navy Corpsman, LT, FMF (RET), U.S. Marines 4th LSB, Shock-Trauma Platoon
SteelCity's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
no not really, but it doesn't hurt either

Nice!

I put a bottle of STP fuel injector cleaner in the tank with every oil change (1st full tank after change). I did this on my previous truck which had nine years on it and no problems at all.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:04 PM   #8
Iron Beard

to be honest I never use additives, usually cause more harm than good. I just try my best to run good gas (shell, Quik Trip, Cheveron), usually that's more than sufficent to last a long time. Pulling out the injectors for a good clean is always better... though 25k is way way way to soon imo. I'd venture more alone the lines of every 60k at min, more like 100k. But, that's just me.

If you use crap like Arco... yea 25k is probably pushing the upper limit. Or if you buy gas at your local grocery store to "save a few bucks."
Old 09-24-2008, 04:07 PM   #9

Now when you guys say run the best do you also mean 91 octane??? I run 87.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:39 PM   #10
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometKat View Post
I ran nothing but Chevron (occasionally Shell) for 20 years in my old truck and never had to service the injectors. Just avoid junk gas and you’ll be good. Not sure what oil injection is though.
Great advise!

Quote:
Quote:
Actually, it IS a good idea to run it up now and then. Get the injectors flowing near 100% and it will prevent them from gumming up down the line.

Quote:
Now when you guys say run the best do you also mean 91 octane??? I run 87.
87 is fine. Stay away from Arco, and no name fuels. Arco has a bad habbit of useing the bare minimum filtering requierments at their stations. QT is one of the best as they have 4 filtering stages at most of their stations.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:53 PM   #11
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Great advise!

Actually, it IS a good idea to run it up now and then. Get the injectors flowing near 100% and it will prevent them from gumming up down the line.

87 is fine. Stay away from Arco, and no name fuels. Arco has a bad habbit of useing the bare minimum filtering requierments at their stations. QT is one of the best as they have 4 filtering stages at most of their stations.
QT 87 octane is what I run. Usually the cheapest in town, That is when we can get gas.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:55 PM   #12
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer36 View Post
QT 87 octane is what I run. Usually the cheapest in town, That is when we can get gas.
ANother FYI about QT gasoline, is that use double the addatives as anyone else does.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
ANother FYI about QT gasoline, is that use double the addatives as anyone else does.
What is QT? Is that a gas station in your town? My choices are Mobil, AMPM, Arco, Shell, Costco Wholesale(cheapest), and some others I cant think of right now. But I haven't heard of QT.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:34 PM   #14

Quote:
What is QT? Is that a gas station in your town? My choices are Mobil, AMPM, Arco, Shell, Costco Wholesale(cheapest), and some others I cant think of right now. But I haven't heard of QT.
QT= Quick Trip

Am/PM = bad gas
Arco = bad gass
Costco is good. Mobil, Shell....
Old 09-24-2008, 07:12 PM   #15
SoCalTacoma is on a distinguished road
SoCalTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I got a notice in the mail with my statement that they recomend an electronic fuel and oil injection cleaning once every 25k or 2 years that costs $119.95.

Now is this something that I will need? I have been doing the 5k services myself with Mobile 1 truck and suv 5w30 religiously. Any input would help...
Its just a scam to make extra money for the dealership. Im a mechanic and we sell those all the time. Easy money for me though . The only thing i would recommend is a powersteering flush and brakeflush every 2 yrs.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:15 PM   #16
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
i ran some of that racing level NOS fuel treatment at NAPA. It works pretty good. definitley blew a little smoke heading out from 1dt to second. Just cleaned it out pretty desently
Old 09-24-2008, 07:45 PM   #17
Iron Beard

QT is only in certain parts of the country, it's really starting to take off more in Arizona now than before... I think it's pretty much from Kansas City and west in certain areas. At any rate, one of the top tier stations, usually one of the cheapest (aside from arco which is one of the worst gas stations), and they have badass drinks! (of the non adult style).