Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Whats a fair price?

Old 04-11-2011, 10:09 AM   #1
TIM HUS shows Nashville how it's done correctly.
cameraperson is one of the sharper tools in the shedcameraperson is one of the sharper tools in the shedcameraperson is one of the sharper tools in the shedcameraperson is one of the sharper tools in the shedcameraperson is one of the sharper tools in the shedcameraperson is one of the sharper tools in the shedcameraperson is one of the sharper tools in the shedcameraperson is one of the sharper tools in the shedcameraperson is one of the sharper tools in the shedcameraperson is one of the sharper tools in the shedcameraperson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cameraperson ADK
cameraperson's Tacoma Gallery
Red face Whats a fair price?

I have to sell my truck. My new job pays less, and the commute is FAR- so I need to re-arrange my life a bit. I would like to post my truck for sale and I have no idea what is a fair price. It's a 2007 with 75k miles, 4wd 4door. It has a heavy duty transmission cooler and lots of utilitarian things like that, but basically it's a kickass pickup with no rust or dings. It needs new tires, and if I might put new ones on before the sale- either way, I'll share some of the cost with the new owner to sweeten the deal, unless they want to get their own tires.

It also has a factory installed remote starter, roof racks, it's had all it's shots. I'm the 2nd owner, and I bought it at 50K miles- it was like new. It's always been a highway commuter and a grocery getter and occasionally a boat puller.

Whats the best place to sell the truck? And what's a fair price?

Thanks for any help you can provide. You guys always helped with the little things that cropped up, or with wiring and tips for trailering. Thanks again for all of that.

Mike
Old 04-11-2011, 11:39 AM   #2
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
First off, sorry to hear the news about selling your truck.
I usually use a combo of Craigslist, Edmunds Used TMV, NADA, KBB, & forums based on my zipcode whenever I am selling a vehicle. This gives you a few ballparks on what people are selling for in your area/region. A 4x4 low mileage DC tacoma like yours in my area sells fast priced right. You can start high then come down as need be. Test the waters so to speak.

There are so many variables but my success in selling is pricing correctly. You will see the same ads over and over if someone is overpriced.

I use Craiglist a lot & have good success with it. One thing to help make your photos bigger is to upload them to photobucket then cut & paste the html code into the body of your ad. The photos will pop off the screen as opposed to the four little small ones the site limits you to. Also, I put my phone number in there and say not interested in scam emails so call the number please.

GLWS.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:04 AM   #3
cameraperson is one of the sharper tools in the shedcameraperson is one of the sharper tools in the shedcameraperson is one of the sharper tools in the shedcameraperson is one of the sharper tools in the shedcameraperson is one of the sharper tools in the shedcameraperson is one of the sharper tools in the shedcameraperson is one of the sharper tools in the shedcameraperson is one of the sharper tools in the shedcameraperson is one of the sharper tools in the shedcameraperson is one of the sharper tools in the shedcameraperson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thanks for the advice -
much appreciated.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:04 AM   #4
Banned
Kingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Submarines-Sonar Tech
Kingfrog's Tacoma Gallery
IF you need the money today and don't mind wholesaling it......Carmax will buy it. However with fuel being high 6 cyl trucks may not be what they were at $2.50 a gallon. KBB is HIGH...Use Edmunds for real Market value.

In the northeast they use the Galves book which is alsoway lower than KBB. Or you can get the Carmax price and look at what they are SELLING used ones for since regular dealers post stupidy high "asking" prices and cannot be used as a reference . Carmax posts SELLING prices plus $149. That's the real TMV. But you have to watch them becasue tey reduce prices on stalled inventory....on the other hand they can get any vehicle in their network as well.

If you use a combo of Edmunds, KBB and NADA you will have a better idea what wholesale is. My neighbor works for a dealership and says the auctions are full of trucks right now. Mostly fullsize. But the 6 cyl trucks of all brands are also arriving becasue of situations like yours.

Wholesale between $17-18K on the low end Private party resale $18K if the buyer uses Edmunds. KBB will be $2000 higher

I see the model you have on Carmax for no haggle prices of $21K with those miles Carmax may offer $19K.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:12 AM   #5

thanks everyone

I sold it. :-[

But you guys helped me make an informed decision. I bought a honda civic commuter. Maybe someday I'll get back into the truckin and ramblin and pullin boats and stuff- but its not for a while.

Thanks for all your help...
frenchy
Old 05-02-2011, 11:24 AM   #6
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameraperson View Post
I sold it. :-[

But you guys helped me make an informed decision. I bought a honda civic commuter. Maybe someday I'll get back into the truckin and ramblin and pullin boats and stuff- but its not for a while.

Thanks for all your help...
frenchy
Honda Civic. Good move.

Good luck.

Steve