Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Adjusting ride height. King Front Coils.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:51 PM   #1
DirtyTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dino
DirtyTacos's Tacoma Gallery
Adjusting ride height. King Front Coils.

I just put the king front and rear kit on and left it at 0" (stock height). I went to the desert last weekend and they were amazing. I did about 85mph on fairly ruff terrane. The ride is amazing. My question is, can i adjust the height of the front C/O's with them already in? I tried to do it but it was tuff to compress the coils and i have done it before (to street cars) and it has never been that tuff. Its a weird design, after loosening the pinch bolt it was extremely hard to screw the ring down.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:55 PM   #2
DirtyTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Anyone...
Old 04-11-2011, 08:57 PM   #3
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
no, not with the resi. i just tried that on thursday on kings with the resi.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:57 PM   #4
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Its so much easier to just take it out and adjust that way. You get very very little movement from the spanner in the coil buckets especially with the resi hose and all.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:59 PM   #5
MASTER CHIEF
STR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Collin
STR8_BEAST's Tacoma Gallery
You can do it while they are on there, it just takes some more muscle. You do have a spanner wrench right? That is what adjustable coil overs need to be adjusted. If it is too hard just add some leverage to it. Or just take those bad boys off and then adjust them.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:59 PM   #6
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8_BEAST View Post
You can do it while they are on there, it just takes some more muscle. You do have a spanner wrench right? That is what adjustable coil overs need to be adjusted. If it is too hard just add some leverage to it. Worst comes to worst, just take those bad boys off and then adjust them.
the resi gets in the way no matter how strong you are
Old 04-11-2011, 09:02 PM   #7
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

^thats what she said....
Old 04-11-2011, 09:04 PM   #8

Ya i gotta spanner wrench, i just don't think its possible with the resi hose getting in the way as well as the housing where the whole assembly is mounted to. Im just going to have to take em' out.

Thanks guys
Old 04-11-2011, 09:06 PM   #9
MASTER CHIEF
STR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Collin
STR8_BEAST's Tacoma Gallery
Forgot about the resi hose being in the way... just remember the 2:1 lift ratio when you decide how much of a lift you want. And I wouldn't go past 2.5" overall lift as it gets really stiff past that.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:08 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8_BEAST View Post
Forgot about the resi hose being in the way... just remember the 2:1 lift ratio when you decide how much of a lift you want. And I wouldn't go past 2.5" overall lift as it gets really stiff past that.
plus you trade travel for height
Old 04-11-2011, 09:09 PM   #11

^^^ because im going to be doing a lot of off roading im am only lifting it 1" maybe 1.5"
Old 04-11-2011, 09:09 PM   #12
Almost there

OP:

You just raved about the amazing ride off-raod at 85, why do you want to mess with ride height?
Old 04-11-2011, 09:30 PM   #13

^^ I want just A little more clearance. Also for a daily driver its a bit too soft for freeway driving. I think lifting it 1" will be a win win for me.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:38 PM   #14
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
Well if you do get past that resi hose being in the way make sure to clean and lube up the threads (i use WD40) real good and try to let it penetrate into the collar for 5minutes. Also, with my spanner wrench I added a 20" handle to it= lots of leverage, easy as stirring coffee now.

If for some reason your UCA gets in the way, all you need to do is pop off that one pin-locked nut and separate it from the spindle, then just push the UCA all the way up and out of the way.

Not familiar with KINGS, does that resi hose swivel or is it fixed at that angle?
Old 04-11-2011, 09:42 PM   #15
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvdeserted View Post
Well if you do get past that resi hose being in the way make sure to clean and lube up the threads (i use WD40) real good and try to let it penetrate into the collar for 5minutes. Also, with my spanner wrench I added a 20" handle to it= lots of leverage, easy as stirring coffee now.

If for some reason your UCA gets in the way, all you need to do is pop off that one pin-locked nut and separate it from the spindle, then just push the UCA all the way up and out of the way.

Not familiar with KINGS, does that resi hose swivel or is it fixed at that angle?
I'm pretty sure its like any bango (sp?) fitting and does not move.

IMO wd40 is terrible and makes things rust (it was not originally ment to be a lubricant), use some silicone spray of dupont teflon spray (used on uniballs)
Old 04-11-2011, 10:10 PM   #16

Ok, will do. Ill try that. ^^^ i agree, I would rather use some sort of lubricant, not wd40 but thats sounds like a great idea.
Thanks.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:12 PM   #17
nighthawk87 will become famous soon enoughnighthawk87 will become famous soon enough
nighthawk87's Tacoma Gallery
Look at kings website. They sell a special spanner wrench with an angle to it. I got one and it works. I can adjust non the truck!
Old 04-11-2011, 10:14 PM   #18

Cool, that sounds like it could make my life much easer. Thanks
Old 04-12-2011, 05:37 AM   #19
nighthawk87 will become famous soon enoughnighthawk87 will become famous soon enough
nighthawk87's Tacoma Gallery
It will. It's a bummer they don't include it tho. Inthink they should.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:43 AM   #20
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
the aluminum T-handle spanner wrench from king is a POS. saw one brake this weekend. you can do it on the truck, but you need to be careful not to break that spanner. jack up the truck, remove the tire, remove the spindle-UCA nut to seperate it, spray down the collar w/ pb blasters/etc, then get to cranking. it can be done, even w/ the resi's, you just have to work around the hose. like the said above, more leverage is your friend.