Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rear Diff Filler Hole is Stripped

Old 04-11-2011, 08:56 PM   #1
ilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gavin
ilovetacos's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to ilovetacos
Exclamation Rear Diff Filler Hole is Stripped

It all started about a month ago when I went to change the rear diff fluid...

I went to remove the filler plug and it just spun. I didn't attempt to remove it because I wasn't sure if it was the plug or hole that was stripped. I assumed it was the plug because the hole is more durable. I went to my local dealer and was able to purchase a couple filler plugs. Went back home drained the oil and then tried to remove the filler plug. Well it didn't want to come out. It just spun both ways. I pulled out while loosening it and it wouldn't come out...

Long story short I ended up drilling the plug out (probably not the best way but was in a bit of a hurry). Found that the plug and the holes were both stripped. Looking at the filler hole I thought I could tap it. Went down to Harbor Freight, bought a tap and die set and was actually able to re-tap the hole. When I put the new filler plug in I didn't use a torque wrench because I didn't want to tighten it too much and strip the new "more fragile" hole. I just hand tightened it snug.

All was good until today when I noticed the filler plug leaking. Well I assumed the plug became loose because it wasn't properly torqued. So I went to re-tighten the plug just now using care not to strip it and again it is just spins. I didn't attempt to loosen it because I don't want to remove the plug and the be unable to put it back it. There isn't a lot of oil leaking but it definetely needs to be fixed.

So what are my options now?

Should I attempt to re-tap the hole?

Should I take it to a professional?

Should I run it off a cliff and start over?

Should I weld the existing filler plug closed and tap a new hole???
Old 04-11-2011, 08:59 PM   #2
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Push it over a cliff and start over
Old 04-11-2011, 08:59 PM   #3
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
helicoil maybe?
Old 04-11-2011, 09:01 PM   #4
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: SSgt - A.G.E. Mechanic
Name: Jason
Detective_Dan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoytoda View Post
helicoil maybe?
i dont know if a helicoil will hold to high torque like that, ive only used them for small stuff
Old 04-11-2011, 09:03 PM   #5
ilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
Push it over a cliff and start over
It is paid off and I have full coverage insurance...Hmmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoytoda View Post
helicoil maybe?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective_Dan View Post
i dont know if a helicoil will hold to high torque like that, ive only used them for small stuff
I did a couple searches here and the heilcoil idea came up but it wasn't recommended because of what D Dan said.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:19 PM   #6
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
i said maybe LOL
Old 04-11-2011, 09:22 PM   #7
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
helicoil would slip out. There is another thread on either here or TTORA that some guy was having the same problem. There is another product like the helicoil, but ment for through holes (like the fill hole and not a hole that ends like the helicoil is made for).
Old 04-11-2011, 09:27 PM   #9
krans has much to be proud ofkrans has much to be proud ofkrans has much to be proud ofkrans has much to be proud ofkrans has much to be proud ofkrans has much to be proud ofkrans has much to be proud ofkrans has much to be proud of

Name: Kenny
krans's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe an option would be re tapping the threads next size up along with a new filler bolt.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:33 PM   #10
Badwin45 is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
Badwin45's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
helicoil would slip out. There is another thread on either here or TTORA that some guy was having the same problem. There is another product like the helicoil, but ment for through holes (like the fill hole and not a hole that ends like the helicoil is made for).
I believe that was a Keensert.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:33 PM   #11
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badwin45 View Post
I believe that was a Keensert.
Sounds right. Thanks for clarifying.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:34 PM   #12
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Re tap the hole and install a larger plug. 10 mins, and done.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:40 PM   #14
JohnnYp has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnYp has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnYp has a spectacular aura about
Name: John
JohnnYp's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to JohnnYp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
The filler plug should be at 36 ft lbs.

^^^ X2

lil teflon tape wouldnt hurt to
Old 04-11-2011, 09:42 PM   #15

S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
Just a thought...would a large nut welded over the fill hole and a short bolt in place of the drain plug be an option?
Would work, but there are better options.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:46 PM   #16
doormanndan is a glorious beacon of lightdoormanndan is a glorious beacon of lightdoormanndan is a glorious beacon of lightdoormanndan is a glorious beacon of lightdoormanndan is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Dan
doormanndan's Tacoma Gallery
Take the plug out again and clean it up as best as you can. Chase the threads with the tap again and re-clean. Use several layers of Teflon tape on the plug and try again. Also I think Loctite makes a thread sealer and perhaps another product that will fill voids. A second option would be to go to the next US NF bolt thread size and re-tap, use grease on the tap to help trap some of the shavings. As far as sealing a threaded hole that is not a tapered like a pipe fitting, you could use a o ring or a bronze washer and some silicone underneath the head of the bolt. Be sure to cut the bolt down to the correct length so it has no chance to interfere with the diff

Good luck
Dan L
Old 04-11-2011, 09:47 PM   #17
supralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to beholdsupralight is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
supralight's Tacoma Gallery
I would re-tap it too. The hardest for you will may be to find the tap... (as most hardware stores here only carry small sizes.)
Old 04-11-2011, 10:18 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Re tap the hole and install a larger plug. 10 mins, and done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doormanndan View Post
Take the plug out again and clean it up as best as you can. Chase the threads with the tap again and re-clean. Use several layers of Teflon tape on the plug and try again. Also I think Loctite makes a thread sealer and perhaps another product that will fill voids. A second option would be to go to the next US NF bolt thread size and re-tap, use grease on the tap to help trap some of the shavings. As far as sealing a threaded hole that is not a tapered like a pipe fitting, you could use a o ring or a bronze washer and some silicone underneath the head of the bolt. Be sure to cut the bolt down to the correct length so it has no chance to interfere with the diff

Good luck
Dan L
Thanks for the response guys!

I'm going to use doormandan's 1st suggestion. If that doesn't work I'll re-tap to a larger size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supralight View Post
I would re-tap it too. The hardest for you will may be to find the tap... (as most hardware stores here only carry small sizes.)
You can get the tap and die set at Habor Freight. It worked well the first & only time I used it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/45-piec...set-41452.html