Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

6" Lifts with Alcan rear springs

Old 04-12-2011, 08:45 AM   #1
TiMe is a jewel in the roughTiMe is a jewel in the roughTiMe is a jewel in the rough
TiMe's Tacoma Gallery
6" Lifts with Alcan rear springs

I know theres a few guys here that have these springs and theres info in the 6" lift thread, but tryin to search within that thread sucks. I am starting this thread so its easier for people to find the info that they need in the future. I want to order some of these springs soon myself and I wanna know how everyone ordered them and to see some pics.

Please post the info you used when you ordered your leafs like, amount of lift, stock or aftermarket rear bumpers, spare location and size, measurments etc. Also, if you could post good pics of before and after including side shots.

Thanks!
Old 04-13-2011, 07:51 AM   #2
TiMe is a jewel in the roughTiMe is a jewel in the roughTiMe is a jewel in the rough
TiMe's Tacoma Gallery
BUMP
Old 04-13-2011, 09:44 PM   #3
Tundra FTMFW
csuviper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsuviper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsuviper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsuviper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsuviper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsuviper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsuviper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsuviper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsuviper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsuviper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsuviper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
csuviper's Tacoma Gallery
Alcan builds the leaf springs custom to your specifications. They already know the length that is required for different heights (kinda) for the 05+ Tacoma and probably for the 1st gens as well. You just need to specify the additional lift you want or have and what additional weight you will have on your truck that will affect the ride height. The springs are already built to have 1/2" additional height on the driver’s side to counter the gas tank weight.
I just called them and told them that I had a 6" Fabtech lift and wanted to change out the rear springs for a smoother ride and additional flex. I didn’t like the rear blocks and the add-a-leaf that I had before because of a stiff ride and it also sagged down. I did not have them add in extra weight to mine because I don't carry anything in the back on a daily basis and wanted the best ride for my everyday use. All I told them was a full size spare in the back and the occasional full load of camping gear.
The Alcan's definitely softened the ride and gave more flex to the rear. The biggest downside is that the back of my truck is roughly 1/2" lower than the front. When ordering that was one of my key points, that I wanted to level it out. Now I have two choices, add in a spacer or install the shackle flip to level it out again.
Another downside, they are not impervious to rust. The salt and mag chloride definitely broke down the paint and rust started within the first winter.
I went ahead and added the All-Pro U-bolt flip along with the Alcan’s. Added more clearance under the axle and cleaned it up a bit. I used the stock bump stop by tapping the plate that came with the U-bolt flip. I quickly noticed that the bump stop was going to be far too short with the extra added space between the frame and the axle. I need to get a longer bump stop now.
All in all I am happy with the purchase but still require spending more money on the rear suspension.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:05 AM   #4
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by csuviper View Post
Alcan builds the leaf springs custom to your specifications. They already know the length that is required for different heights (kinda) for the 05+ Tacoma and probably for the 1st gens as well. You just need to specify the additional lift you want or have and what additional weight you will have on your truck that will affect the ride height. The springs are already built to have 1/2" additional height on the driverís side to counter the gas tank weight.
I just called them and told them that I had a 6" Fabtech lift and wanted to change out the rear springs for a smoother ride and additional flex. I didnít like the rear blocks and the add-a-leaf that I had before because of a stiff ride and it also sagged down. I did not have them add in extra weight to mine because I don't carry anything in the back on a daily basis and wanted the best ride for my everyday use. All I told them was a full size spare in the back and the occasional full load of camping gear.
The Alcan's definitely softened the ride and gave more flex to the rear. The biggest downside is that the back of my truck is roughly 1/2" lower than the front. When ordering that was one of my key points, that I wanted to level it out. Now I have two choices, add in a spacer or install the shackle flip to level it out again.
Another downside, they are not impervious to rust. The salt and mag chloride definitely broke down the paint and rust started within the first winter.
I went ahead and added the All-Pro U-bolt flip along with the Alcanís. Added more clearance under the axle and cleaned it up a bit. I used the stock bump stop by tapping the plate that came with the U-bolt flip. I quickly noticed that the bump stop was going to be far too short with the extra added space between the frame and the axle. I need to get a longer bump stop now.
All in all I am happy with the purchase but still require spending more money on the rear suspension.
post a side shot of your truck, seriously krookz and my68ur8trd both got ass high after the alcans
Old 04-20-2011, 02:25 PM   #5
SuthrnTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuthrnTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuthrnTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuthrnTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuthrnTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuthrnTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuthrnTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuthrnTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuthrnTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuthrnTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuthrnTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
SuthrnTaco07's Tacoma Gallery
I want to get a little ass high so i think Alcans are right for me! Krookz did his 300lbs over recommended though.. Also once you upgrade to the right front suspension you can always level it out easier by working with the front then you can with the rear.. So it never hurts to go ass high at first.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:46 AM   #6
Tundra FTMFW
csuviper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsuviper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsuviper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsuviper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsuviper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsuviper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsuviper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsuviper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsuviper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsuviper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcsuviper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
csuviper's Tacoma Gallery
Here's some pics of my alcan's.

You can see the sag in the back in this pic:

Here is the proper way to work on your truck:
Old 07-24-2012, 08:07 PM   #7
Silvertacomao6 is a splendid one to beholdSilvertacomao6 is a splendid one to beholdSilvertacomao6 is a splendid one to beholdSilvertacomao6 is a splendid one to beholdSilvertacomao6 is a splendid one to beholdSilvertacomao6 is a splendid one to behold
Silvertacomao6's Tacoma Gallery
Need help too!

I have a 2006 DCLB 4x4 and a 6" Fabtech lift. I have seen a truck on TW with 6" Alcan leafs, an ATO flip kit, and a 1.5" shackle kit. I love the look and clearance. I am wondering what anyone would recommend for back shocks or if they would recommend this set up? Also I am running stock fronts and suspect I would have to lift the front as well. I want to go like mid travel, def not long travel.
Can anyone give me guidance as to what I should use for both rear and front?
Any help would be great. I am currently running 33's and would like to run 35's or bigger. The 6" lift is high but I wanna go a bit higher.
I would greatly appreciate it if someone could give me a top to bottom on my thoughts.
You can pm me, or contact me at : trevorjenkinson@rocketmail.com
Kind Regards,
Trevor