Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rock Slider Install Help

Old 04-12-2011, 11:12 AM   #1
TacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
TacoTabe's Tacoma Gallery
Rock Slider Install Help

Hey guys- I got a set of weld-on sliders from Avid Off Road and I'm having my neighbor weld them on for me. He has considerable welding skills, but he is a 'car' guy, not an offroader. So he asked me to get him some step by step instructions/tips for welding them on. If one of ya'll could give me a quick install guide I would greatly appreciate it! (Yes i did search for a write-up already, couldnt find one )

The sliders have to be welded to the support legs still, according to Avid they provide them this way so that I can angle them if I want. My question to you is, how much of an angle is good?

I appreciate the help fellas!
Old 04-12-2011, 11:14 AM   #2
CopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Maximum Security Correctional Officer
Name: Matt
CopDoctor's Tacoma Gallery
doesnt matter too much. as long as it clears your door, just make them look appealing to you.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:30 PM   #3
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
The legs should have 1/4" to 1/2" clearance under the body pinch weld, otherwise, as the cab rocks on the rubber mounts and the frame flexes, the sliders will hit the pinch weld making a startlingly loud noise.

The legs should be gusseted to the frame, and the gussets go on top of the legs.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:34 PM   #4
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
The legs should have 1/4" to 1/2" clearance under the body pinch weld, otherwise, as the cab rocks on the rubber mounts and the frame flexes, the sliders will hit the pinch weld making a startlingly loud noise.

The legs should be gusseted to the frame, and the gussets go on top of the legs.
^ and also make sure you plate the frame and weld the legs to the plates.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:13 PM   #5
TacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
^ and also make sure you plate the frame and weld the legs to the plates.

Thanks guys. As for the legs and gussets and such, the legs came welded to square plates, and they are gusseted. I will make sure I weld them with the gussets facing up, though. Thanks.

Anything else I should know?
Old 04-12-2011, 05:17 PM   #6
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoTabe View Post
Thanks guys. As for the legs and gussets and such, the legs came welded to square plates, and they are gusseted. I will make sure I weld them with the gussets facing up, though. Thanks.

Anything else I should know?

Just make sure you like the placement and have the clearance and open all doors to make sure they don't touch the sliders before you burn everything in. Oh and if you don't already know disconnect your - battery terminal before you do any welding on the truck.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:23 PM   #7

How'd ya'll do yours to make sure that both sides are the same angle?
Old 04-12-2011, 05:28 PM   #8
CopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Maximum Security Correctional Officer
Name: Matt
CopDoctor's Tacoma Gallery
this

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CEUQ8gIwAw#
Old 04-12-2011, 05:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopDoctor View Post

Thanks
Old 04-12-2011, 05:46 PM   #10
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopDoctor View Post
Yep it a awesome little tool