Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

bilstein 5100 with top plate spacer?

Old 04-12-2011, 07:34 PM   #1
Taco89 is on a distinguished road

Name: Nik
Taco89's Tacoma Gallery
bilstein 5100 with top plate spacer?

I installed the bilstein 5100 set to 2.5" with 3/4" top plate spacers and 2" AAL...i got an alignment today but they said they couldnt get it perfect. My tires are still leaning a little in the front....would new UCA's fix this?
Old 04-12-2011, 08:17 PM   #2
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not sure about the safety of 2.5 w/ 3/4 top plate spacers. And yes, you need new UCA's. Prolly a diff drop as well if your 4x4.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:23 PM   #4

Taco89's Tacoma Gallery
I have 2x4 and don't go off roading What's not safe about it? I don't really know much about all this I'm still learning
Old 04-12-2011, 08:29 PM   #5
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco89 View Post
I have 2x4 and don't go off roading What's not safe about it? I don't really know much about all this I'm still learning
It's not that it is unsafe , by lifting the front of the truck that much , you have changed the geometry up front and there is not enough adjustment in the stock UCA's to get a correct alignment .

Aftermarket UCA's will allow for more adjustment .
Old 04-12-2011, 08:33 PM   #6
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Going over 3" total is generally a bad idea on these IFS's, because your ball joints can bind at full droop.

Was the top plate spacer 3/4" thick?, or rated at 3/4" lift? Spacers lift twice their thickness.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:34 PM   #7

Taco89's Tacoma Gallery
Ohh okay cool thanks, so if I get new UCA's my tires will straighten up?
Old 04-12-2011, 08:35 PM   #8
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ohh okay cool thanks, so if I get new UCA's my tires will straighten up?
You will be able to get it aligned properly , yes .
Old 04-12-2011, 08:36 PM   #9

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Going over 3" total is generally a bad idea on these IFS's, because your ball joints can bind at full droop.

Was the top plate spacer 3/4" thick?, or rated at 3/4" lift? Spacers lift twice their thickness.
On this ^^^ note OP , what is the thickness of your spacers ?
Old 04-12-2011, 08:36 PM   #10

Taco89's Tacoma Gallery
Its 3/4" thick
Old 04-12-2011, 08:37 PM   #11

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Its 3/4" thick
What is your total lift ?
Old 04-12-2011, 08:38 PM   #12
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Its 3/4" thick
So with the 5100's @ 2.5", and a 1.5" top plate spacer, you are at 4" of lift. That's not safe for any of your suspension components. Take the spacer out.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:39 PM   #13

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
So with the 5100's @ 2.5", and a 1.5" top plate spacer, you are at 4" of lift. That's not safe for any of your suspension components. Take the spacer out.
Agreed
Old 04-12-2011, 08:47 PM   #14

Taco89's Tacoma Gallery
So just go with the 1/4" spacer? I want to fit 285/70/17
Old 04-12-2011, 08:48 PM   #15
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So just go with the 1/4" spacer? I want to fit 285/70/17
Plenty of people have fit that size with no spacer at all.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:49 PM   #16

Taco89's Tacoma Gallery
Alright cool, what if I set my bilsteins to 1.75 with the 3/4?
Old 04-12-2011, 08:52 PM   #17
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Alright cool, what if I set my bilsteins to 1.75 with the 3/4?
What would make you want to do that over just setting them at 2.5"?

Toplate spacers in general are bad news....all they do is force the whole suspension downward...they can make your bump stops useless (i.e. the shock will bottom out before you hit the bump stops), and will give you too much down-travel, causing your ball joints to bind.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:58 PM   #18

Taco89's Tacoma Gallery
I like the lift size that I have now, if I just get new UCA's will that be safe?
Old 04-12-2011, 08:59 PM   #19

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I like the lift size that I have now, if I just get new UCA's will that be safe?

Hard on your truck that is .

I missed the thickness of your spacer on first pass , you need to come down to 3" and get UCA's
Old 04-12-2011, 08:59 PM   #20
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Absolutely not. nothing over 3" is good for the truck....

Think of how an IFs works. By lifting the truck 4" total, you have rotated the LCA downward 4"...the spindle length obviously can't change, so the slack is taken up by the ball joint in the uca being at an extreme angle, even with all 4 wheels on the ground. When you go over a bump and the suspension moves downward, it will get even worse.

If you wanted a 4" lift you should have bought spindles.