1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma Diesel Swap (VW or otherwise)?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Vrbas, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Apr 16, 2012 at 6:41 PM
    danimal92sport

danimal92sport Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    dcab, 4WD, TRD O/R
    4BT is around 750lb wet. :eek:

2. Apr 16, 2012 at 6:47 PM
    danimal92sport

danimal92sport Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    dcab, 4WD, TRD O/R
    Heavy: Hell yeah - around 750lb wet.
    Loud: Maybe - as it isn't a passenger car engine...
    Hard to do maintenance: :confused: I could not disagree more. Stone ax simple engine.
    Made to commercial type vehicles: It was a popular engine for delivery vans, etc. I agree that the NVH isn't to passenger car standards.
    Stick with dd4 Toyota: Do you mean D4D? Great engine, but how does that compare to a 4BT? Have you seen the pricetag on a D4D swap?
    Reliability in question: Hope you don't mean the 4BT. They've more than proved their reliability...

3. Apr 17, 2012 at 5:03 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Maybe then you could explain the billions in government money GIVEN to the oil co. in the 70's to drill for oil. OK opec was cutting oil and we needed it but the money still flows, in the 70's we imported maybe 5% now 60%+ but the drilling still is given billions all though we now import far more then we drill the ideal was to reduce the dependence on foreign oil noble ideal but the money still flows and the oil doesn't. We even pay for the oil spills! Yes some comes from the oil co by we foot most of the bills. Yes the Brits pay close to 50% in taxes but they also have a VAT tax and it covers more then just petrol.

4. Apr 17, 2012 at 6:09 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    The brits pay much more than 50% and that is the point whether or not it covers other things. The point was made that the price Europe pays is closer to the real price but that is untrue. Much more than half of their price is taxes. The real price of oil is it's untaxed price, not the taxed price. A tax price is an artificial price created by governments. And the VAT tax is added at each stage of oil production in addition to the 20% levied on the final consumer. It's a "VALUE ADDED" tax so whenever the oil changes form, it's taxed again. So it's taxed after it is refined and it is taxed for the final consumer.

As for me explaining payouts, maybe you could provide something concrete so I could see what you're talking about (link?). Oil companies aren't paid money to drill anything. That comes out of their exploration budgets. There is no taxpayer money flowing to the oil companies. What the pundits are calling subsidies are actually tax cuts for the cost of doing business (exploration). It's a fiscal parlor trick to convince the taxpayers that they need to raise taxes on the evil oil companies. Cash isn't flowing from the coffers of the US government to the oil companies.

5. Apr 17, 2012 at 11:52 AM
    squashroll

squashroll taco tuesday

Member:
    NorthWest
    Vehicle:
    sold '90, waiting for 3rd gen
  6. Apr 17, 2012 at 12:00 PM
    squashroll

squashroll taco tuesday

Member:
    NorthWest
    Vehicle:
    Wow! Do you have a weight for VW's 2L RV 16v tdi? It's a cast iron block but so is the 2tr-fe (right?)
    That engine would go nicely in a taco, but too much work and $$ :frusty:

7. Apr 17, 2012 at 5:35 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    291 million Google hits on "government money given to oil co's".

8. Apr 17, 2012 at 6:44 PM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    Both of these articles are useless for the argument at hand. They're social activists who want gasoline to be taxed to offset the cost of infrastructure and pollution. It has nothing to do with subsidies to the oil companies or the commodity price of oil.

9. Apr 17, 2012 at 6:45 PM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    Then it should be easy to provide a reputable one to support what you're saying.

10. Apr 17, 2012 at 8:19 PM
    squashroll

squashroll taco tuesday

Member:
    NorthWest
    Vehicle:
    It would be impossible when the brick wall we are talking too disregards very relevant information.
    You have provided links to charts showing % of tax on fuel. You also cited Mother Jones(!), then you dismissed my sources as "social activists". Really?!

11. Apr 18, 2012 at 7:02 AM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    The charts show what price consumers pay in the world relative to the taxation. It was stated that they pay closer to the true commodity price of oil. Based on that chart, it shows that they do not. It's also not a US-based article (Australian) so it can be reasonably assumed that it's not some government cover-up to hide our "gas subsidies".

I didn't dismiss the article because the author is a social activist. The articles you provided are not relevant because they're not really talking about how close the price we pay for gas is to the commodity price of crude. He's talking about a socially-set price based on what he thinks it should be. No one in the world charges what the author of those articles is suggesting ($15/gallon). He thinks we should include the cost of road infrastructure, pollution and other things in the price of gas that have nothing to do with the commodity price of oil. For example, road infrastructure costs would be the same regardless of the fuel type, including electric vehicles. What he's arguing is that the drivers are subsidized because the government is making up for what consumers of oil use (vs the entire tax base). He's suggesting an use-based pricing to cover the cost of those things mentioned earlier. He's not suggesting that the government is subsidizing the oil companies. You saw an article that stated what the true price of oil should be and made the connection that the government is subsidizing the oil companies. But it's not stating that.

Also, those costs are already taken care of in the form of taxes. He just thinks the consumer should be paying for it at the pump instead. All he's doing is shifting when it gets paid. That's why it's not relevant. I'm not saying his point is right or wrong, just that it's not relevant to the discussion of whether or not the government is subsidizing the oil companies.

The Mother Jones article is relevant to the claim that ethanol is not subsidized. It is pointing out that ethanol is still subsidized because the manufacturers still receive government cash through guaranteed sales volumes whether they sell it or not. It's the similar to a farm subsidy where growers are paid not to grow a particular crop. That is a subsidy. It doesn't matter that the article is from an activist magazine. One thing about evidence is if you and someone who is a polar opposite agree on something, it's probably true. That's why I cited it.

12. Apr 18, 2012 at 9:54 AM
    squashroll

squashroll taco tuesday

Member:
    NorthWest
    Vehicle:
    I heartily disagree with you. You can't correctly deny that a mind-boggling amount of money is spent by our government to safe guard our oil economy, delivering artificially cheap gas to US consumers.

Either way we have steered this thread off course--:threadjacked:

13. Apr 18, 2012 at 11:01 AM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    Despite the cost of running our economy and protecting our interests, it's not a subsidy to the oil companies. Using that logic, even our police force budgets are a subsidy because they help protect gas stations from theft. It's not artificially cheap because it's sold worldwide at the same commodity price. Refineries in Europe pay the same price for a barrel of oil as we do.

14. Apr 18, 2012 at 11:46 AM
    squashroll

squashroll taco tuesday

Member:
    NorthWest
    Vehicle:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Apr 18, 2012 at 11:50 AM
    squashroll

squashroll taco tuesday

Member:
    NorthWest
    Vehicle:
    :confused:

16. Nov 21, 2012 at 3:59 AM
    jimbote

jimbote New Member

Member:
    nc
    Vehicle:
    96' Diesel taco
    2.0 TDI diesel swap :)
    so your taco weighs 6k+ lbs?....typical jetta/golf/beetle tdi tips the scales @ 3k +..... I did a VW TDI swap in my 96' taco and I've put over 25k troublefree miles on it since driving it out of the shop in march 11' (aside from three clutches ;) ) .... it has plenty of power and knocks down 32mpg tank after tank best I could muster with the stock 3rz gasser was 22mpg...so 50% improvement in fuel economy on top of the more usable low end torque = fun~!! :D ....here's my build thread with pics and videos.... http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=293577 ....btw a fully dressed ALH weighs in somewhere around 375lbs which is not far off from the stock 3rz .... imho a 4bt is more suited to a full size truck or older cruiser etc. but I'm aware that a few yota's have been successfully converted using this mill, my personal opinion is it's too heavy and too noisy and many states don't allow an "industrial" engine to be swapped into a passenger vehicle .....

17. Nov 5, 2015 at 8:19 AM
    Zenphx

Zenphx KE7FC

Member:
    First Name:
    Neal
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2005 Impulse Red Pearl SR5 4wd Long bed
    Sliders.
    I like it but for the price might as well wait until they finally add it as an option

18. Nov 5, 2015 at 9:06 AM
    saumon

saumon Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC LB 4x4 SR5 SSM
    axebuilder-albums-miscellaneous-picture52670-holy-thread-resurrection-batman.jpg

TacoTaco15, Zenphx and G.T. like this.
  19. Nov 5, 2015 at 12:45 PM
    Zenphx

Zenphx KE7FC

Member:
    First Name:
    Neal
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2005 Impulse Red Pearl SR5 4wd Long bed
    Sliders.
    I was looking as a lark at what a diesel would cost unburried this one LOL

20. Jan 25, 2016 at 7:59 AM
    GrizzlyNappy

GrizzlyNappy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Steamboat
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma Regular Cab
    2.5" front lift, 3" rear lift re geared 4.88 custom exhaust 33" tires 2015 4Runner wheels
    Right? I'd rather spend 22k on an complete '08 Dodge with a Cummins.

Products Discussed in

To Top