Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tacoma Diesel Swap (VW or otherwise)?

Old 04-13-2011, 08:55 PM   #1
Vrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to behold
Vrbas's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma Diesel Swap (VW or otherwise)?

So I've seen a few threads talking about swapping diesel motors into a tacoma and was curious about it's feasibility. My friend got a VW Jetta last year with whatever diesels they have in there and i was wondering if those could be tailored to bolt up to a new Tacoma? Or any other diesel that would take kindly to a new Tacoma.

Don't plan on doing anything soon, just feeling it out to see what is out there. Thanks in advance guys.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:59 PM   #2
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
Lots of diesel swaps talked about in this thread....

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/per...ta-pickup.html
Old 04-14-2011, 06:53 AM   #3
IsmellBacon is on a distinguished road
EMS:
Name: Matt
IsmellBacon's Tacoma Gallery
The VW diesel was designed for a vehicle that weighs 1/2 as much as the Tacoma. Look at the 4 cylinder cummins, Isuzu's or Mercedes. WWW.4btswaps.com has tons of information on diesel swaps. Good luck and keep us posted.

Bacon
Old 04-14-2011, 05:03 PM   #4
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
I own a VW diesel it's great but it does not have much HP but it does have twice the torque of a 4 cyl gas. I don't think you would be pleased with a 1.9 but a 2.5-3 liter turbo engine would do it I would kill for a V6 turbo TDI diesel in my Tacoma!
Old 04-14-2011, 05:51 PM   #5
t_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to all
Name: Erik
t_e's Tacoma Gallery
Speaking of vw and diesels, I was next to a VW Amarok with a tdi engine driving around here the other day with a Michigan manufacturer tag... should be giving all mid-size trucks a run for their money.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:28 PM   #6
Say no to Bro
kirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clayton
kirkofwimbo's Tacoma Gallery
This guy swapped a freightliner diesel from a sprinter van into a first gen. If you can fit one in a first gen should be no problem in a 2nd

Old 04-18-2011, 10:05 AM   #7
Vrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to beholdVrbas is a splendid one to behold
Vrbas's Tacoma Gallery
Dang ^^^^ good find!

I'm wondering if it would even be worth looking into. I'm trying to determine if the money and labor is worth the extra gas mileage i would get out of it. I'm already averaging about 24 mixed which isn't bad at all... but if it could drive me up to the 30s it may be worth my time.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:15 AM   #8
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Easy enough to figure out.

In the above example, using his best possible mileage, his mileage before was 26 mpg highway and went up to 30 mpg. The further you drive, the better the results.

If he travelled 12,000 miles in a year, that means he would use 461 gallons of gasoline @26mpg and 400 gallons of diesel at 30mpg.

If he was paying $5/gallon, that works out to about $2305/year in gas at 26mpg and $2000/yr. So best case, would be about $300 in savings every year based on $5/gallon. At $4/gallon, that drops to $244 dollars in savings. The savings would also drop due the price differential between regular gas and diesel (about $0.30/gallon extra for diesel)
Old 04-18-2011, 10:32 AM   #9
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think it would be cost effective to do the swap unless you got all the parts super cheap or free.I would have to almost double my mileage to make it worth it.it's just like all the people who buy hybrids. How long would you have to keep the car to make it worth it to pay extra for the hybrid. If you took an old wrangler or samurai and converted it to veggie oil it would be worth it as a neat cheap project.
Extreme 4x4 did a samurai with veggie oil.simply install and you could get the waste oil from any dinner or deli
Old 04-18-2011, 11:02 AM   #10
Say no to Bro
kirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clayton
kirkofwimbo's Tacoma Gallery
I plan on swapping to diesel when the motor in my truck eventually dies. May be a while, but that just gives me time to save. I plan on doing a kind-of ground up rebuild at that point, reinforcing the frame for the extra weight, possible SAS(while maintaining a "stockish" ride height), replacing worn out parts such as seats etc. I plan on keeping my Taco for a long time!!
Old 04-24-2011, 12:07 AM   #11
Vrbas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkofwimbo View Post
I plan on swapping to diesel when the motor in my truck eventually dies. May be a while, but that just gives me time to save. I plan on doing a kind-of ground up rebuild at that point, reinforcing the frame for the extra weight, possible SAS(while maintaining a "stockish" ride height), replacing worn out parts such as seats etc. I plan on keeping my Taco for a long time!!
I'm with you on that. My puppy will be run into the ground. At that point I might consider a diesel swap or who knows, by then Toyota may have a diesel option (i got a 2011 Tacoma so they have plenty of time to figure that out before my sucker dies).
Old 04-24-2011, 08:44 AM   #12
buddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 2nd Bomb Wing
buddywh1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintdiddy View Post
I don't think it would be cost effective to do the swap unless you got all the parts super cheap or free....
Totally agree...

But if you do have the parts...the time...the skills and the tools. It would be a super neat project!
Old 04-24-2011, 10:20 AM   #13
BCTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBCTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBCTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBCTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBCTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBCTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBCTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBCTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBCTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBCTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBCTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
BCTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
what about these guys. not cheap but looks like you get what you want, turn key.

www.dieseltoyz.com
Old 04-11-2012, 08:16 AM   #14
jprovence is a name known to alljprovence is a name known to alljprovence is a name known to alljprovence is a name known to alljprovence is a name known to alljprovence is a name known to all
Navy: Honorably Discharged
Name: Joshua
jprovence's Tacoma Gallery
Pretty sure these trucks as they sit, will last longer then we have fuel for. Fuel going to be like 10-15 bucks a gallon someday.The whole veggie thing won't last forever as more and more people catch on. I had a buddy doing it to a Chevy LUV though college, and he was always having to ensure his "source" was secure as more people were looking for oil as well.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:02 PM   #15
TacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoDaTugBoat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCTacoma View Post
what about these guys. not cheap but looks like you get what you want, turn key.

www.dieseltoyz.com
If I had funny money, I would def do this!
Old 04-11-2012, 12:54 PM   #16
Keith120286 is a splendid one to beholdKeith120286 is a splendid one to beholdKeith120286 is a splendid one to beholdKeith120286 is a splendid one to beholdKeith120286 is a splendid one to beholdKeith120286 is a splendid one to beholdKeith120286 is a splendid one to beholdKeith120286 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Keith
Keith120286's Tacoma Gallery
I'm thinking a diesel swap from DieselToyz will be on the list of things to get in 2013.

Looks awesome. That with some ARB front and rear lockers would make for one nasty offroad vehicle.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:55 PM   #17
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith120286 View Post
I'm thinking a diesel swap from DieselToyz will be on the list of things to get in 2013.

Looks awesome. That with some ARB front and rear lockers would make for one nasty offroad vehicle.
A swap from them starts at like $15K so I hope you have a money tree.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:06 PM   #18
Keith120286 is a splendid one to beholdKeith120286 is a splendid one to beholdKeith120286 is a splendid one to beholdKeith120286 is a splendid one to beholdKeith120286 is a splendid one to beholdKeith120286 is a splendid one to beholdKeith120286 is a splendid one to beholdKeith120286 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Keith
Keith120286's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
A swap from them starts at like $15K so I hope you have a money tree.
I know that...
Old 04-11-2012, 01:12 PM   #19
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith120286 View Post
I know that...
Just making sure. People seem to think an engine swap is going to cost them $100 and 4 hours. Waste of money IMO since both gasser engines work better than fine.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:27 PM   #20
taco tuesday
squashroll is on a distinguished road

squashroll's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_e View Post
Speaking of vw and diesels, I was next to a VW Amarok with a tdi engine driving around here the other day with a Michigan manufacturer tag... should be giving all mid-size trucks a run for their money.

Are you serious!? I wonder if it was some car magazine doing a test drive for an article?