Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Sunshine reflection from the back of the hood?

Old 09-25-2008, 06:43 AM   #1
hate2work will become famous soon enoughhate2work will become famous soon enough
hate2work's Tacoma Gallery
Sunshine reflection from the back of the hood?

I just purchased a bright red 06 reg cab, and when I drive into the sun there is a very bad spot that reflects the sun and almost blinds me.

It's right at the back of the hood, where that bent/rolled lip is. Do any others have that problem? If so, what is the best fix for it?

TIA~
Old 09-25-2008, 07:20 AM   #3
ban the term murdered out
OU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOU812 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gas Turbine Elec
Name: danusa
OU812's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have the hood scoop?? I do and it's quite annoying to me but I just wear shades on bright days
On the other hand when it's cleaned up and dark out it's really sweet looking to glance at the hood.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:21 AM   #4
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Just take it off road and get it dirty... glare problem solved :P That being said, my obsidian black access (trd offroad no scoop) doesn't blind me at all even when waxed up. Number of things to that though, sun angle/driving angle. Sitting position, ect... If it's really that bad, I think I stumbled on some covers like the bug-deflector that go over the windshield wipers.... looks retarted imo but it'd block the glare...
Old 09-25-2008, 08:24 AM   #5
hate2work will become famous soon enoughhate2work will become famous soon enough
No hood scoop. I suppose I'm gonna have to see if the detail shop can put a black strip across the hood where the reflection is, that should help quite a bit.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:25 AM   #6
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
what about putting some window tint on that area? It might be cheaper than a pro job.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:42 AM   #7
Northern Alliance: Airlift Div
Coreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud of

Air Force: Flight Engineer
Coreyjon's Tacoma Gallery
Sun glasses seem like a logical answer here - or like someone else mentioned, change the angle at which you are sitting. dirt works too.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:20 AM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coreyjon View Post
Sun glasses seem like a logical answer here - or like someone else mentioned, change the angle at which you are sitting. dirt works too.
I wear regular glasses, so sunglasses are an option, but kind of a pain to deal with.

I've tried changing the angle that I sit, but to no avail, it's just as bad.

Dirt works? You guys let your trucks get dirty?

Yeah the guy that bought it new had it shined up pretty good, it's gonna take a bit of time for dirt to help. I think I'm gonna have to put some black tape right on the bend, that will help.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:35 AM   #9
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Don't put tape on it... you don't want it baking into the paint... you really don't want to have to try and clean up the adhesive after. I presume you're probably talking along the lines of electrical tape... a vinal strip would be 'ok' but still... You could just put a little hoola girl where it blinds you :P
Old 09-25-2008, 09:43 AM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyouto42 View Post
Don't put tape on it... you don't want it baking into the paint... you really don't want to have to try and clean up the adhesive after. I presume you're probably talking along the lines of electrical tape... a vinal strip would be 'ok' but still... You could just put a little hoola girl where it blinds you :P
I was thinking of the detail tape they use, maybe they have something wide enough and dull enough to absorb the light instead of reflecting it.

I do like the idea of the hula girl
Old 09-26-2008, 10:02 PM   #11
mainerinexile is on a distinguished road
mainerinexile's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hate2work View Post
I just purchased a bright red 06 reg cab, and when I drive into the sun there is a very bad spot that reflects the sun and almost blinds me.

It's right at the back of the hood, where that bent/rolled lip is. Do any others have that problem? If so, what is the best fix for it?

TIA~
Yup, I have the same problem. You are talking about the bent angle on the hood right up close to the windshield. Gives a strip of sunlight reflection so that you can't adjust your sitting location to avoid it. Unnecessary design flaw by Toyota. The Japanese engineers are probably too short to have the problem.

I think it is only a problem in midsummer, otherwise the sun angle is too low. I put black electrical tape on that part of the hood for a couple of months, and then removed it with no residue.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:22 PM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainerinexile View Post
Yup, I have the same problem. You are talking about the bent angle on the hood right up close to the windshield. Gives a strip of sunlight reflection so that you can't adjust your sitting location to avoid it. Unnecessary design flaw by Toyota. The Japanese engineers are probably too short to have the problem.

I think it is only a problem in midsummer, otherwise the sun angle is too low. I put black electrical tape on that part of the hood for a couple of months, and then removed it with no residue.
Yes, that's exactly where I'm talking about, right up close to the windshield on the hood. A real PITA when the sun's just right
Old 09-27-2008, 08:11 PM   #13
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Albert
w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
Dude I couldn't agree more...sunglasses. I have the same problem. It's the price we pay for being different. LOL.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:54 PM   #14
Obama can suck-it
TSUNAMI*22 is a jewel in the roughTSUNAMI*22 is a jewel in the roughTSUNAMI*22 is a jewel in the roughTSUNAMI*22 is a jewel in the rough
TSUNAMI*22's Tacoma Gallery
Fighter pilots used to have this problem because glare would obscure their target through the gunsight / windscreen. They fixed it by painting a flat-black (non-glossy) or flat-olive green strip across the top of the cowling from the cockpit to the nose.

http://www.aviation-history.com/nort...an/p51-11a.jpg

Flat-black won't reflect any glare and will look much better than flat-olive green on red paint.

My suggestion would be to take your vehicle to a sign shop and have a flat-black vinyl sticker made that can be placed on that flat part of the hood.

It can be made to shape and it'll look very professional.

Problem solved.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:07 PM   #15
JJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt (Advisor Instructor 0311)
Name: Jay
JJ Customs's Tacoma Gallery
Are you only 3' tall?
Old 09-27-2008, 10:52 PM   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by harris.jasonm View Post
Are you only 3' tall?
That's a pretty f 'ing moronic question. But I'll just consider the source and move along.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:55 PM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSUNAMI*22 View Post
Fighter pilots used to have this problem because glare would obscure their target through the gunsight / windscreen. They fixed it by painting a flat-black (non-glossy) or flat-olive green strip across the top of the cowling from the cockpit to the nose.

http://www.aviation-history.com/nort...an/p51-11a.jpg

Flat-black won't reflect any glare and will look much better than flat-olive green on red paint.

My suggestion would be to take your vehicle to a sign shop and have a flat-black vinyl sticker made that can be placed on that flat part of the hood.

It can be made to shape and it'll look very professional.

Problem solved.
Yep, that's what I'm gonna have to do, put something flat black across there that will absorb the glare. Thanks
Old 09-27-2008, 11:05 PM   #18
JJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt (Advisor Instructor 0311)
Name: Jay
JJ Customs's Tacoma Gallery
"That's a pretty f 'ing moronic question. But I'll just consider the source and move along."
Well if you had noticed it was a joke! We tend to do that here and you had several answers to your question. If you took it the wrong way I am sorry, oh wait, no you should have gotten the joke. Try taking comments in stride and you will fit in here and get good answers to your questions. It is vital that you don't have a "someones out to get me outlook" here. If you show that you are not able to take a joke you will find it hard to get along. Also as for the "source" (being me) I supose, get to know a person before you judge the source. Thank you and have a nice weekend.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:06 PM   #19
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by harris.jasonm View Post
Are you only 3' tall?
I lol'd.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:54 PM   #20
Obama can suck-it
TSUNAMI*22 is a jewel in the roughTSUNAMI*22 is a jewel in the roughTSUNAMI*22 is a jewel in the roughTSUNAMI*22 is a jewel in the rough
TSUNAMI*22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hate2work View Post
Yep, that's what I'm gonna have to do, put something flat black across there that will absorb the glare. Thanks
You're welcome.