1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

has anyone done a btlm

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DubVtundy, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Apr 14, 2011 at 8:39 AM
    DubVtundy

DubVtundy [OP] ERMAHGERD

Member:
    First Name:
    Thayer
    Keyser West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2010 white double cab
    8 inch alcan custom leaf packs, ome 885's powdercoated white, bilstein 5100's all the way around with 12 inch travel on the rear, Light Racing Upper Control Arms, Sway bar removed, 17x9 kmc strike. 35x12.50 nitto Trail Grapplers. Satoshi Grill made by (homertaco), Black Headlight housings,retrofits, Tinted Tailights, color matched grill, Bought a TRD sport hood,elite off road front plate bumper,elite off road sliders, 13% tint on the front windows, 5% on top of the facotry rear windows and back glass, 5% tint stip across the windshield, Lo Pro Truxedo tonneu cover, Herculiner bed liner, Weather Tech Window Visors, Exhaust- Flowmaster Super 44 dumped above rear axle, Maglight Mount on side of drivers seat, Scangauge II, Mossy Oak Camo Seat Covers, Weather Tech Floor mats, Spatter painted A-Pillars, Spatter painted headunit trim and shifter trim, Headunit= Pioneer 4300 double din touch screen, Speakers- Precision Power 3 way component stage, Precision Power 8 i
    As the title says it has anyone done a black tail light mod to the 2005-2011 tail lights. i took them out and look at them and dont seem that they are going to come apart very easy. any help?

2. Apr 14, 2011 at 8:41 AM
    808matt

808matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    19 Ranger
  3. Apr 14, 2011 at 8:54 AM
    APTJ

APTJ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2005 Dcab SR5 4x4
    grill, lights, bull bar, rims, tires,
    someone tried to do that awhile back..its glued so well and you will end up cracking the lens. no the oven trick won't work on this one.

4. Apr 14, 2011 at 8:56 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    You'd have to use a dremel to cut them apart and reseal them. They don't come apart like the headlights.

5. Apr 15, 2011 at 8:09 PM
    DubVtundy

DubVtundy [OP] ERMAHGERD

Member:
    First Name:
    Thayer
    Keyser West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2010 white double cab
    8 inch alcan custom leaf packs, ome 885's powdercoated white, bilstein 5100's all the way around with 12 inch travel on the rear, Light Racing Upper Control Arms, Sway bar removed, 17x9 kmc strike. 35x12.50 nitto Trail Grapplers. Satoshi Grill made by (homertaco), Black Headlight housings,retrofits, Tinted Tailights, color matched grill, Bought a TRD sport hood,elite off road front plate bumper,elite off road sliders, 13% tint on the front windows, 5% on top of the facotry rear windows and back glass, 5% tint stip across the windshield, Lo Pro Truxedo tonneu cover, Herculiner bed liner, Weather Tech Window Visors, Exhaust- Flowmaster Super 44 dumped above rear axle, Maglight Mount on side of drivers seat, Scangauge II, Mossy Oak Camo Seat Covers, Weather Tech Floor mats, Spatter painted A-Pillars, Spatter painted headunit trim and shifter trim, Headunit= Pioneer 4300 double din touch screen, Speakers- Precision Power 3 way component stage, Precision Power 8 i
    yeah forget it then i will just try to find some black tail lights lol and im not vht my tail lights i had that on my old car and got pulled over for it and had to get it off and trust me that shit is a pain in the ass to get off

6. Apr 15, 2011 at 8:28 PM
    zxtaco636

zxtaco636 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southeast, US
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner SR5 TRD Off Road
    20% Tint all around, Debadged, Grill badge blacked out
    I have always used a vinyl tint overlay. Basically a vinyl cling decal you put over your tail light heat it up so that you can conform it to you lights and you are done. I have used them for years and thats all I will use. If you get pulled over and have to take it off you just peel it off there is no adhesive to worry about or anything. I never had an issue with them peeling up either if that is a concern, and I used car wash pressure washers on them. Never had an issue.

There is a company called rVinyl that you can order it through, I'm going to do my truck tail lights soon and the price is only going to be around 30 bucks.

7. Apr 16, 2011 at 4:58 AM
    Rconectn

Rconectn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    '10 Regular Cab
    I have my head and tail lights tinted with a material that is similar to the tint that they use for your car/truck windows. My local shop that tinted my windows has this product from 3M that they use for tinting head and tail lights. It looks fantastic and it also protects the outer housing plastic from going opaque and yellowing.

8. Apr 16, 2011 at 5:31 AM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    VHT Nightshades. It fades after awhile but not a biggy to retouch them IMO.

[​IMG]

9. Apr 16, 2011 at 6:26 AM
    Sgian

Sgian Dark humor is like food, not everyone gets it.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2011 Sport DCSB Manual V-6 SC
    TRD Super Charger, URD 2.8 Super Charger Pulley, URD headers and full system, URD fuel pump upgrade, URD Short throw Shifter, AFE CAI, OME 886 coilovers with Nitrochargers, Dakar Leaves, Desert Products UCA's, FJ TRD Anthracite rims, BFG AT/TKO 285s, Redline Hood struts, Weathertech Ventshades, Weathertech Floormats, Speed Dawg shift knob, Coupe solid shifter, Relentless all around, Eyelids T2, Mr Yo Rearview mirror lift, ejector seats, Rigid D2s front and back, Rigid Light bar in skewp.
    Rconectn, do you happen to know the name of that product that your tinter uses? I am quite interested in doing this when I finally get my truck. Thank you.

10. Apr 16, 2011 at 6:35 AM
    xwillx93

xwillx93 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    MBRP "Cool Duals" dual side swept exhaust, Volant Intake, Blacked Out Tail lights, Touchscreen Kenwood DDx616 with a 10" Kicker CVR in a custom Box, 2 Kicker Comp 6" Speakers, Removed front and rear mud flaps, Weathertech Floormats, Kobalt Slim Toolbox, Chevrolet Air compressor
    Just re-did my tail lights after 2 years of VHT Nihtshades. Love the stuff and takes bout half a day. and for removal...i just take them off and used nail polish removal.. doesnt ruin the lens

11. Apr 16, 2011 at 7:01 AM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    x2 I will never tint my tails because of a fear that happening....

12. Apr 16, 2011 at 8:17 AM
    zxtaco636

zxtaco636 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southeast, US
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner SR5 TRD Off Road
    20% Tint all around, Debadged, Grill badge blacked out
    I'm pretty sure Rconectn is talking about the same product I am. It is a vinyl tint overlay. You can not use regular window tint on tail lights or headlights because it does not stretch enough to conform properly and when you heat it up it will actually fuse with the plastic. Again you can check out the website rvinyl.com

13. Apr 16, 2011 at 8:20 AM
    Rconectn

Rconectn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    '10 Regular Cab
    Let me call them and find out

OK, I called and they use this product called Lamin-x, it's fantastic stuff. I used the gun-smoke (medium color) on my head and tail lights . Here is the website http://www.lamin-x.com

Hope that helps

14. Apr 16, 2011 at 8:24 AM
    Nightstr

Nightstr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Felipe
    Sacramento CA
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner sr5
    BLHM BLWM 3" TOUGH COUNTRY LIFT TRD SEAT COVERS THULE RACK M/T KM2 265/65/16
    Good advice! I never thought about this and I was about to tint mine. Will not be doing the tint after all.

15. Apr 16, 2011 at 9:03 AM
    Kingfrog

Kingfrog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail Edition
    Undercover,Pop n Lock, Hardwired GPS, Garage door opener , Scanguage II, wireless back up camera, X994 Basslink, ...Prefer stock and non invasive functional mods
    Well then.............If I ever rear end someone I will hope they have tinted tail lights LOL......Damm they will find ANYTHING to absolve 100% responsibility for our wrong doings....

16. Apr 16, 2011 at 9:33 AM
    Sgian

Sgian Dark humor is like food, not everyone gets it.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2011 Sport DCSB Manual V-6 SC
    TRD Super Charger, URD 2.8 Super Charger Pulley, URD headers and full system, URD fuel pump upgrade, URD Short throw Shifter, AFE CAI, OME 886 coilovers with Nitrochargers, Dakar Leaves, Desert Products UCA's, FJ TRD Anthracite rims, BFG AT/TKO 285s, Redline Hood struts, Weathertech Ventshades, Weathertech Floormats, Speed Dawg shift knob, Coupe solid shifter, Relentless all around, Eyelids T2, Mr Yo Rearview mirror lift, ejector seats, Rigid D2s front and back, Rigid Light bar in skewp.
    Awesome, thanks Rconectn and ZXtaco636 for the info. Apologies for the thread hijack. matt

17. Apr 20, 2011 at 9:47 PM
    DubVtundy

DubVtundy [OP] ERMAHGERD

Member:
    First Name:
    Thayer
    Keyser West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2010 white double cab
    yeah im deff not doing the vht again its just a pain and someone to rear end you and blame it on that deff not worth all that but i want actual black tail light housing oem ones but just black

18. Apr 20, 2011 at 9:49 PM
    DubVtundy

DubVtundy [OP] ERMAHGERD

Member:
    First Name:
    Thayer
    Keyser West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2010 white double cab
    that you are wanting 2 sell?

Products Discussed in

To Top