Notices

Black badging???

Old 09-25-2008, 09:30 AM   #1
It's TACO time!
DFPTaco has a spectacular aura aboutDFPTaco has a spectacular aura about
Name: Josh
DFPTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Black badging???

There was a post or a bulliten about how to paint your badging black, I have looked and I can't find it anywhere. Any help on the best way to paint the badging and actually have the paint stick?
Old 09-25-2008, 09:34 AM   #3
It's TACO time!
DFPTaco's Tacoma Gallery
NICE! THank you, I spent HOURS looking for that!!!!
Old 09-25-2008, 09:52 AM   #4
Carolina Alliance
jolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SSgt 6332
Name: Jim
jolayiv's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jolayiv
sometimes it helps when you search if you put a + between the words.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:07 AM   #5
It's TACO time!
DFPTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I was unable to find the search box. I did just now find it... Thanks again for the info!
Old 09-25-2008, 10:19 AM   #6
Mz_TazComa is a splendid one to beholdMz_TazComa is a splendid one to beholdMz_TazComa is a splendid one to beholdMz_TazComa is a splendid one to beholdMz_TazComa is a splendid one to beholdMz_TazComa is a splendid one to beholdMz_TazComa is a splendid one to behold

Mz_TazComa's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Mz_TazComa
I posted this in detailing, but thought it would get more views here...

I'm thinking about blacking out my emblems today. I'm bored and I have to do cheap mods for awhile.

I've been reading that some people use Krylor and others use Testors. Is there any pro/con with either or is it just a matter of preference? Also, I'm wondering if I should use flat black or something with a pearl in it.

Long term, does the tape affect the paint (of the truck) at all?
Old 09-25-2008, 10:25 AM   #7
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Use 3M tape.. it's easy to remove down the line, and it's what most stock badges are applied with. The only real 'damage' the tape will cause (should you want to debadge later) is potential paint fading. The rest of the truck will fade, what's under the badge won't... so pretty much no matter what you do it'll 'still be there' faded into the paint. But, that's no diff being black badges, chrome, whatever.. anything will cause that. Hell if you left mud on the truck for 2 years, it'd do the same.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:31 AM   #8
Mz_TazComa is a splendid one to beholdMz_TazComa is a splendid one to beholdMz_TazComa is a splendid one to beholdMz_TazComa is a splendid one to beholdMz_TazComa is a splendid one to beholdMz_TazComa is a splendid one to beholdMz_TazComa is a splendid one to behold

Mz_TazComa's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Mz_TazComa
Thanks. So do I go flat or something with a shine?

What about a clear coat over the black?
Old 09-25-2008, 10:35 AM   #9
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Seeing as your truck is silver... I'd probably go with gloss. I haven't actually painted them before myself (usually just debadge) but I like the glossy black logos. My buddy did it on his IS250 and it looks sick, and I do believe he through 3 or 4 coats of clear on them as well to make them really shine.

That being said, hard to tell from the pic in your avatar but if your wheels are matte, I'd probably go matte. Ultimately only you can decide