1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Minimum credit score for Toyota finance?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by aimcat, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Apr 15, 2011 at 8:35 AM
    aimcat

aimcat [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    My dealership is trying to "save me money" by possibly getting approved through Toyota finance....does anyone know what the minimum credit requirements are? Honestly our credit is not good right now and need to know before we apply....thanks!

2. Apr 15, 2011 at 8:41 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Min. score for the advertised promotions is between 720 and 740

3. Apr 15, 2011 at 8:44 AM
    aimcat

Member:
    yikes honestly ours is 560-600 so we are probably a no right? Or could we get it just not that rate?

4. Apr 15, 2011 at 8:46 AM
    SCFirefighter

SCFirefighter on idiot patrol ;)

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 DC TRD Sport 4x4 5'
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
    Try to get pre-approved at a local credit union and use that quote to go to your dealer.
    Don't forget: dealer "interest rates" are negotiable. There is a profit margin built into the rates. It's not a 1:1 from the finance company, probably even when using TFS

5. Apr 15, 2011 at 8:49 AM
    aimcat

Member:
    we tried our credit unions and its a no go....right now we are approved through capital one for 10.34 for 6 years....good bad? anyone delt with them before? good or bad?

6. Apr 15, 2011 at 8:57 AM
    TacPro45

TacPro45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport Double Cab Long Bed
    Weathertech Floor Liners
    Pretty high interest rate in my opinion, maybe wait and build some more credit that way it doesn't kill you in the long run.

TACOVRD likes this.
  7. Apr 15, 2011 at 9:05 AM
    aimcat

Member:
    Is it realistic to say that we will refinance when our credit is better? Get a better interest rate and payment?

8. Apr 15, 2011 at 9:12 AM
    SCFirefighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
    Not really. There is no market to refinance car purchases. Even if you will find someone who can do it I doubt you'll get a better rate. All it will do for you, at the most, is take your current loan balance and spread it out over 5 more years, effectively lowering your monthly payment by $20-$50 depending how far into the loan you are.
    Seriously, walk into a local credit union office and have them make a car loan offer to you. You'd be surprised. Then you can use them to finish the purchase if you don't get a better offer from the dealership.

9. Apr 15, 2011 at 9:16 AM
    aimcat

Member:
    Ive tried my credit unions and they base it on slow pays or credit score and they tell me no....Our debt to income is great and we have things paid on time and up to date its just past mistakes we are still paying for.

10. Apr 15, 2011 at 9:19 AM
    SCFirefighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    They don't want your loan based on your credit score? That's not very encouraging.
    I say let the dealer give it a try. They'll get you approved; that's almost a guarantee nowadays. The question is whether you're willing to pay the price of the loan.
    Good luck.

11. Apr 15, 2011 at 9:21 AM
    t4daddy

t4daddy Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2008 PreRunner Double Cab
    My CU loaned me money at 4.25%, could've gotten 3.99% if it had of had less than 30,000 miles (had 32,000), this for 48 months.

12. Apr 15, 2011 at 9:21 AM
    aimcat

Member:
    Well we have the current loan worked out so we have it but I just dont want the dealer trying all the finance crap that they try....you think the dealer can get a better rate than what we are approved for?

13. Apr 15, 2011 at 9:22 AM
    aimcat

Member:
    t4daddy - but how is your credit score?

14. Apr 15, 2011 at 9:32 AM
    skybob

skybob Well-Known Member

Member:
    With your lower score, i'd take the rate you got. You can refi in about a year as long as your score goes up and drop it down. I'd only ask if there is a fee to re fi. You'll have to pay a higher rate for a year and you'll be out a couple hundred bucks, but you'll have the truck you want and when you refi it will drop as long as you keep your stuff at 35%. ex. you have a card for 1000 limit, keep the balance around 350. It will pull your score up fast.

15. Apr 15, 2011 at 9:33 AM
    TacoSport

TacoSport opinions are like assholes; everyones got one.

Member:
    NE
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD SSM Sport DCSB w/Tow
    In my case, I got 2.9% from my local CU in January and at signing Toyo asked me what my rate was and said they could have given me 2.3%.
    In your case, I would say to pay down your debt and fix your credit score before making any significant purchases.

16. Apr 15, 2011 at 9:45 AM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    There are a lot of people that will loan you the money but the lower your credit score the higher the interest rate will be. I don't know what the baseline is for Toyota Credit but very careful of who you borrow the money from. You may get a better deal if you put down a larger down payment. There are companies that will refinance car loans if you have a history of paying it on time for a couple of years but by then you will have paid most of the interest on the loan anyway.

17. Apr 15, 2011 at 9:50 AM
    aimcat

Member:
    Ive been calling other credit unions this morning they are all telling me they would approve but rate would be 12-13% which is higher than current rate.

18. Apr 15, 2011 at 10:13 AM
    KDogg311

KDogg311 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    K H I E M ™
    So Cali 626 ³²³ 818
    Vehicle:
    Gen² Impulse Red Access Cab
    Avid Offroad light bar (Black), Avid Step bar (Black), TRD skid plate (Black), BHLM w/yellow signals, Pioneer Avic-x930bt, OEM fogs w/ yellow H10, Magnaflow muffler, aFe drop in filter, Toyota Neoprene "Tacoma" seat covers, Shorty antenna, Tint, Removed secondary filter, LED interior lights, LED reverse, Bedlinered rear bumper, color match grill, Black emblems, Red rear signals, Bed mat, OEM bike mounts
    credit score is not the only thing that is considered when financing institutions are thinking about giving you a loan. they also take into consideration, your debt to income ration and history. TMCC (toyota motor credit) would rather have someone with a 650 score, a paid auto loan, and 50% available credit on a $10k credit card rather then someone with 750+ score and 100% available credit on a student credit with a limit $500. ... anyways, how bout finding a cosigner?

fyi, you can always just take the higher rate now and refi it later after you have build your credit up =)

19. Apr 15, 2011 at 10:17 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    You CAN refinance a car loan. The asset it yours to pay how you want. A bank or credit union will refinance your loan if you qualify.

OP what is the underlying reason your credit is so bad. Sub 600 is bad..and in this tight ass lending market your going to pay. I'd recommend finding out why its bad and correcting the problem and once your credit report improves..2-3 months then pulling the trigger.

20. Apr 15, 2011 at 10:29 AM
    vierzwanzig

vierzwanzig Well-Known Member

Member:
    Moreno Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 SW 4x4AC/MT 2.7l
    the list is growing
    I just went through the process, and toyota financial was outrageous if I could remember correctly.

The T2 lower cutoff was 680, and that was for a 9% I believe. I think the T3 percentage rate was 11 or 12(disclaimer: I did a lot of truck shopping at the time... so it could have been T2-6% and T3-9%...kinda hazy). I already had an 08 civic financed with a credit union, so I went with them and got a 4.9% rate and they threw gap insurance in on the Tacoma for $80. IMO... if you are serious about a taco... 650+ is where you really want to be for a reasonable deal.

Products Discussed in

To Top