Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Improve ride quality

Old 04-15-2011, 10:08 AM   #1
willimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to behold

Name: Will
willimatic's Tacoma Gallery
Improve ride quality

I have done some research and came up with a few ideas. I prefer my truck to sit level although not mandatory. I just want an overall better ride.

So, I was thinking of adding 5100's all around originally. Then I decided, maybe I should add new springs to the front as well? Have heard good things about OME. Then thought, maybe I should add an AAL to the rear?

So, my question is, what would 5100's upfront set at 0 with OME springs due to the front of the truck height wise? I don't want to have to add UCA's or anything. My main concern is ride quality.

And same with rear, will 5100's and a AAL require any brake line stuff etc.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:10 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
A 2" AAL wont require new brake lines, and the OME 884's on your truck should yeild about 2.5" lift.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:12 AM   #3
MX81 will become famous soon enoughMX81 will become famous soon enough
MX81's Tacoma Gallery
If your main concern is ride quality, dont mess with springs and an AAL. Go with 5100s set at .85. It will be close to level if you still have the factory 3leaf rear. Ride quality was better than factory on mine with this setup.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:14 AM   #4
willimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to beholdwillimatic is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
A 2" AAL wont require new brake lines, and the OME 884's on your truck should yeild about 2.5" lift.
2.5, wow. Mmm, wonder then if it would look dumb with stock rims and tire size?

Will that amount of life require anything with UCAs etc.?
Old 04-15-2011, 10:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX81 View Post
If your main concern is ride quality, dont mess with springs and an AAL. Go with 5100s set at .85. It will be close to level if you still have the factory 3leaf rear. Ride quality was better than factory on mine with this setup.

Yes, have the factory 3leaf rear. I've thought about this option many times! How did the rear end change feel wise to you with this set up. Mine rear end feels so harsh when going over bumps and what not.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:28 AM   #6
--- --- --- - ----
LEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LEX's Tacoma Gallery
I'd personally go with 5100 all the way around with Eibach springs. Leave them set at 0, keep the 3 leafs and call it a day.

*edit* Wait. I forgot how much lift Eibachs give with billys set at 0. Someone pls remind me.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEX View Post
I'd personally go with 5100 all the way around with Eibach springs. Leave them set at 0, keep the 3 leafs and call it a day.

*edit* Wait. I forgot how much lift Eibachs give with billys set at 0. Someone pls remind me.

Yeah, could someone fill me in on the above about Eibachs and lift amount?
Old 04-15-2011, 10:33 AM   #8
--- --- --- - ----
LEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LEX's Tacoma Gallery
I think its 1.6".
Old 04-15-2011, 10:34 AM   #9

Ok. I think with the stock 3leaf rear that will make me nose high? Do you have this set up?
Old 04-15-2011, 10:36 AM   #10
--- --- --- - ----

LEX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by willimatic View Post
Ok. I think with the stock 3leaf rear that will make me nose high? Do you have this set up?

Actually, I think it would level you out.

I have 5100s with Eibachs, but I have mine set at .85 with 2" aal.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:37 AM   #11
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Buy a car...
Old 04-15-2011, 10:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Actually, I think it would level you out.

I have 5100s with Eibachs, but I have mine set at .85 with 2" aal.

How is your ride with that? Do you have aftermarked rims and tires? Any pics?
Old 04-15-2011, 10:47 AM   #13
--- --- --- - ----

LEX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
How is your ride with that? Do you have aftermarked rims and tires? Any pics?

The ride is awesome. I had a spacer lift on my last truck and this truck rides like a Cadillac compared to it.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:23 AM   #14
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I think its 1.6".
The Eibach springs are supposed to be 1.6" of lift but people have reported closer to 2" in some cases. You'd be fine with stock UCA's but would probably want to do something out back to help out because you'll probably be a little nose high.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:28 AM   #15

Anyone know the difference between Eiback and OME as far as ride for just street driving?
Old 04-15-2011, 11:40 AM   #16
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Anyone know the difference between Eiback and OME as far as ride for just street driving?
I've heard Eibachs are better suited for street driving although I have no personal experience with the OME coils. The Eibachs are supposedly designed to work with the 5100's also where as the OME's are supposed to be paired with their own shocks.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:40 AM   #17
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I beleive the Eibachs have a spring rate of #620 and OME springs have #590 spring rate.

i've rode on both and couldnt tell a difference. i personally have OME springs with 5100's set at .85 and it rides a lot better then stock.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:47 AM   #18
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
Buy a car...
x2
Old 04-15-2011, 11:52 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscdave View Post
x2
Why the hell would I buy a car if I bought my Tacoma? Just because you want to improve your ride quality doesn't mean I'm not trying to have a truck, or don't want a truck ride.

Why mod a lot of shit in our trucks when you can get it stock in other vehicles, that's like saying you want Nav or HIDs or leather so go buy a car that has it already.

If you don't want to contribute to this thread like the other helpful people have so far, why bother posting stupid crap!
Old 04-15-2011, 11:55 AM   #20
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Do the 5100's all round , set the fronts at .85 , don't get an AAL or the TSB springs .

That's the best you can do to keep a plush ride .

Haters gonna hate , don't worry about it