Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

drive line vibration after 3" lift install

Old 04-16-2011, 06:51 AM   #1
tacoman2u is on a distinguished road
tacoman2u's Tacoma Gallery
drive line vibration after 3" lift install

I just installed a 3" readylift and now have drive line vibration between 20/30 mph. anyone know of a fix for this?
Old 04-16-2011, 10:49 AM   #4
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
x2 ^

And have you gotten an alignment yet?
Old 05-14-2011, 07:16 AM   #5
thanks for the info i just bought the CB drop. hope this works im getting pissed off. this is a brand new truck and i love the 3" lift. looking for nice chrome wheels with red beadlocks any suggestions?
Old 05-14-2011, 07:17 AM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Before you instal any drops, Check the torque of the U bolts. They need to be at 75#
Old 05-14-2011, 07:28 AM   #7
tony92629 is just really nicetony92629 is just really nicetony92629 is just really nicetony92629 is just really nice

Name: Tony
tony92629's Tacoma Gallery
Yes - Its the drive line angles. Shim in the rear and or CB drop in the front. Anything over 3" of lift changes the drive line angles which will create vibrations.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:30 AM   #8
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony92629 View Post
Yes - Its the drive line angles. Shim in the rear and or CB drop in the front. Anything over 3" of lift changes the drive line angles which will create vibrations.
Lets not jump on the angle bandwagon yet. Of all the lifts I have installed on these trucks, NONE have had vibes after propperly torquing the bolts. Not saying its not the angles, but start with the easy stuff first.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:55 AM   #9
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
its def the angles, these trucks are fussy about that, i have the same thing. went with a 4 degree shim but thats too much, i just ordered a 2 degree shim and those will be almost perfect. if i were you id go with 2 degree shims, and flip the rubber that surrounds your carrier bearing so its upside down, thatll fix it
Old 05-14-2011, 09:31 AM   #10
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
The pinon angle must match the output shaft (1st drive shaft after the transmission) angle. If they don't match you're going to experience vibrations.

See this Dana document for a comprehensive explanation. And this thread is also helpful.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:20 PM   #11
thank you all for your suggestions. will start with the u-bolts, then the CB drop if that doesn't work. cant wait to get this resolved so i can get wheel and tire combo.
thanks again
Old 06-03-2011, 11:28 PM   #12
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Before you instal any drops, Check the torque of the U bolts. They need to be at 75#
Interesting , my Haynes manual , and my mechanic's online database both said 37 Ft lbs
Old 06-03-2011, 11:29 PM   #13
A7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryan
A7XTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I just installed 5100's set at 1.75 with TSB leafs. Amazingly I have no real vibrations to speak of... Except the little (very slight) I have at 55-60, but that started after the TSB install.

Judging by what I have gathered, the only angle that has changed is between the carrier and diff... With that being said, I think the only thing I should have to do is shims on the diff to return it to factory angles. One of these days I'll get around to trying it.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:32 PM   #14
oh yeah, i got it aligned the same day i lifted it.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:38 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Interesting , my Haynes manual , and my mechanic's online database both said 37 Ft lbs
Thats wrong.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:53 AM   #16
tonyplanet will become famous soon enoughtonyplanet will become famous soon enough

tonyplanet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I would go with 90# minimum. From what I have been reading in TTORA forums most are running 90-95#. And I think some guy quoted Deaver as saying 110#. But I do agree 37# is wrong and just crazy, and asking your axle to fall off.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:27 AM   #18
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I know what I am doing today .

We re-torqued all my suspension components to the FSM specs last week , I've been driving around with my U-bolts @ 37 for about 5 days
Old 06-04-2011, 10:52 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
My u-bolts came loose after I got the TSB leafs. I presume this was due to the dealer tech following the wrong information in the FSM.
More than likely. Anyone who has been wrenching on suspensions for over a year, will know the FSM is wrong, and calculate the propper torque values.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:55 AM   #20

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
More than likely. Anyone who has been wrenching on suspensions for over a year, will know the FSM is wrong, and calculate the propper torque values.
For those of us that haven't it would be nice if they corrected the fucking values in the FSM and Haynes manuals