1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Scanguage 2

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by maxpower29, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Apr 23, 2011 at 8:11 AM
    primer

primer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T
    OK
    Vehicle:
    06 SS Mica AC 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    (Mostly) debadged, Homelink mirror, Elevated rear diff breather, LED illuminated 4x4 switch, Color matched grill surround, Bed cover, Ivan Stewart wheels, Bridgestone 265/75 Dueler AT Revo 2 tires
    I'm considering this as well. Love the idea.

Not sure if you're aware, but that add on only works with the 7180 and 9980 HUs. They are the high dollar ones. I THINK Kenwood is going to offer a rebate starting 5/1.

Not sure I want to pay that much (actually I AM sure I DON'T want to pay that much) but to have the integrated OBD data I'm leaning that way.

TL

2. Apr 23, 2011 at 12:27 PM
    SCFirefighter

SCFirefighter on idiot patrol ;)

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 DC TRD Sport 4x4 5'
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
    Don't forget if you do go with the HU option you'll loose audio control while you have this ODO reader program running full screen. Also it's in a less than ideal location if you ask me, but that is just personal preference. I love mine right there on the steering column.
    It has become an integral part of my dash system now; I wouldn't want it anywhere else.

3. Apr 23, 2011 at 10:12 PM
    erazon

erazon Active Member

Member:
    Seatle
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma CrewCab
    What do you mean "loose audio controls"? The radio keeps playing when you switch to this screen right? I love my Camry Hybrid's Nav display of all the battery SOC, mpg graphs, etc. When the screen is in this data mode (or in the navigation mode), all the controls I need are the steering wheel controls (volume and next/prev track or station). So this "lack" of audio controls is a non-issue. Even the Lexus, BMWs, and MBs HU display will have this same "lack of audio controls" when they're in other modes.

Primer: Yes, this HU unit is a little pricey,. . . well, yes a lot pricey. But if i will only do it once, then I can justify the price than doing multiple upgrades (replace-install-repeat). I may buy the scanguage and then realize later on I want this type of display on the HU. Costing me more in the end.

4. Apr 24, 2011 at 4:41 AM
    SCFirefighter

SCFirefighter on idiot patrol ;)

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 DC TRD Sport 4x4 5'
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
    I forgot about the steering wheel control integration with aftermarket audio units. You got me. Sorry 'bout that!

5. Apr 25, 2011 at 2:30 PM
    primer

primer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T
    OK
    Vehicle:
    (Mostly) debadged, Homelink mirror, Elevated rear diff breather, LED illuminated 4x4 switch, Color matched grill surround, Bed cover, Ivan Stewart wheels, Bridgestone 265/75 Dueler AT Revo 2 tires
    Appreciate the feedback - and apologies to the OP for the hijack.

If anyone cares I've gotten more confirmation that there will be a $300 rebate on the 9980 and a lesser rebate on the 7180. Still spendy, but that helps a little.

TL

6. Apr 25, 2011 at 2:31 PM
    maxpower29

maxpower29 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 2.7 5 speed SWB
    All season mats, 2nd filter delete, DT header, Jardine cat-back, URD shifter, Bilstein 5100's all around at .85 front with Eibachs + .25 passenger/.5 drivers spacers and 1.5 AAL, 0w20 synthetic, Scanguage II, extra D rings, OEM backup camera+Mirror, bed mat, Extang Solid Fold, Popnlock 5300, Pro Comp 7089's 4.5bs 285/70/17 Revo 2s, De-badged
    Whats that exactly?

7. Apr 26, 2011 at 5:39 AM
    primer

primer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T
    OK
    Vehicle:
    Called a dealer who told me the rebate will start 5/1. $300 Visa card for the 9980, I think it's $100 for the 7180.

TL

8. Apr 26, 2011 at 5:57 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    A couple of items for the OP. I personally did not like mounting it on the steering wheel area. I don't like covering up any guage or idiot light, so I moved mine to the single DIN pocket under my aftermarket HU. It stayed there until I got my double-DIN and then I moved it to the very front of the overhead console. Downside for overhead console is that it is a bit distracting at night with the lighted SG and the mirror vying for attention. SG tends to grab your attention away from the mirror when you glance up.

All of my mounts have been with velcro. Original steering area mount was SG velcro, which is CRAP BTW. Go to Walmart, big box, HW store, etc. and get some 3m, or other major brand velcro, works MUCH better.

9. Apr 26, 2011 at 10:14 AM
    maxpower29

maxpower29 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 2.7 5 speed SWB
    All season mats, 2nd filter delete, DT header, Jardine cat-back, URD shifter, Bilstein 5100's all around at .85 front with Eibachs + .25 passenger/.5 drivers spacers and 1.5 AAL, 0w20 synthetic, Scanguage II, extra D rings, OEM backup camera+Mirror, bed mat, Extang Solid Fold, Popnlock 5300, Pro Comp 7089's 4.5bs 285/70/17 Revo 2s, De-badged
    So what doesnt the rebate come off off exactly? The whole deck?

10. Apr 26, 2011 at 5:41 PM
    primer

primer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T
    OK
    Vehicle:
    I haven't seen the legal document, but I suspect you buy the head unit, send in the UPC and receipt, they mail you a Visa gift card.

TL

11. May 13, 2012 at 9:35 PM
    cosgrc

cosgrc Well-Known Member

Member:
    Madison, AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    OME Lift, 887, Dakars
    Got mine mounted in one of two overhead compartments.
    [​IMG]

12. May 14, 2012 at 5:50 AM
    kb1jop

kb1jop kb1jop

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Webster, MA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Magnetic Gray Metallic SR5 Double Cab
    Factory Towing Package OEM Bed Mat Hard Tonneau Tacoma All-Weather Floor Mats
    I like this mount. Could you explain the cable routing procedure [in detail] for those of us that have not tried something like this before? Thx.

13. May 16, 2012 at 4:47 PM
    cosgrc

cosgrc Well-Known Member

Member:
    Madison, AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    OME Lift, 887, Dakars
    Not much to it. Basically run the cable from the OBDII connector interface up the A-Pillar (Peeled back the black weather stripping) and then pulled the two screws/bolts from the handle on the A-Pillar. I then ran the cable under the headliner and brought it out in a hole I drill in the over head compartment. You can see this hole from the picture. I didn't have too many choices where to drill it since I needed it to be able to close up if I wanted to conceal the gauge. I drilled the hole of course when the overhead console was removed from the headliner (One screw behind fron compartment and a couple of snaps) I removed the black material from the compartment and stuck the gauge with good 3m double sided tape. It has stuck good, but I want to mess with it some this weekend and see if I can doing anything to make sure it doesn't come loose from the heat, etc...

Hope this helps

Products Discussed in

To Top