Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Need help installing aftermarket double din stereo

Old 04-16-2011, 07:45 PM   #1
aedwars11 is on a distinguished road
aedwars11's Tacoma Gallery
Need help installing aftermarket double din stereo

I am trying to install a Pioneer AVH-P2300 DVD player but am having trouble with the green wire to the break. Any ideas?
Old 04-17-2011, 01:58 PM   #2
MSL77385 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Honorably discharged before most of the forum members were born.
Name: Mark
MSL77385's Tacoma Gallery
Reading the installation instructions indicate that the light green wire is attached to the power (12V) side of the parking brake switch. That implies to me that the 12V potential will inhibit the DVD functionality and when the parking brake is applied that point would go to ground potential and allow a DVD to play.

So what exactly is your question?
Old 04-17-2011, 06:27 PM   #3
wayne73 is on a distinguished road
Name: Wayne
wayne73's Tacoma Gallery
Hook it to the one wire leading away from you parking break pedal under the dash for legal hook up. Or ground it for full DVD use (technically illegal)
Old 09-21-2011, 12:27 PM   #4
Space For Rent
Bloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: EN3 (SW/AW) 94-98
Name: Greg
Bloodhound's Tacoma Gallery
Thought I would BUMP this thread instead of creating a new one.

Here's the question I have regarding hooking up a toggle switch for the P2300:

How would one go about the wiring for this? From everything I have read the green wire goes to a hot, 12V wire on the parking brake, and that grounding this out allows playback for DVD's. What I am looking to do is run a toggle switch instead of the parking break that will allow me to switch the function on or off . I guess I'm not sure which wire I should use to do this. I've thought about using the remote wire off the back of the radio and installing a switch that goes to a ground but I'm skeptical of popping a fuse on the back of the radio.

Any suggestions or past experiences? I've looked at the relay option but don't really want to have it running all the time, I'd rather toggle and mount in a hidden area or on a spare faceplate between the AUX input and the A-TRAC button.

edit: full-time grounding of the wire, again from what I've read, will not work due to the stereo needing to see it being grounded after the HU is powered up.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:37 PM   #5
bamma is on a distinguished road

bamma's Tacoma Gallery
Radio shack sells a box ( 4-pole 12V relay ) that you can use to bypass/override the parking brake function. (about six bucks) Search on google and/or youtube for pioneer parking bypass. I'm pretty sure there are other threads on this site that discuss it.

The switch has a delay to the parking brake wire so when you turn on the car the player sees power and then the parking brake activate a second later. It worked great for me, but I don't and do not advocate driving with video on the monitor...I just didn't want to deal with pulling the parking brake every time I wanted to view video.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:56 PM   #6
Space For Rent
Bloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shedBloodhound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamma View Post
Radio shack sells a box ( 4-pole 12V relay ) that you can use to bypass/override the parking brake function. (about six bucks) Search on google and/or youtube for pioneer parking bypass. I'm pretty sure there are other threads on this site that discuss it.

The switch has a delay to the parking brake wire so when you turn on the car the player sees power and then the parking brake activate a second later. It worked great for me, but I don't and do not advocate driving with video on the monitor...I just didn't want to deal with pulling the parking brake every time I wanted to view video.

I'm actually trying to avoid using the relay and just use a toggle switch. I've searched on here but have not really found a definitive write-up concerning how to do it for this particular radio/brand. One user posted a video but didn't show any of the wiring.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:29 PM   #7
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.avic411.com/

A Pioneer owner's group dedicated to the installation and modification of these devices. They would know how and which wire to use.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:47 PM   #8
Space For Rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maticuno View Post
http://www.avic411.com/

A Pioneer owner's group dedicated to the installation and modification of these devices. They would know how and which wire to use.

Thanks for the link, I'll check them out and try to figure this out before my install kit comes in.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:01 PM   #9
beaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeaver_scott is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: scott
beaver_scott's Tacoma Gallery
with my in dash jvc dvd navigation unit, which i installed myself, i just loosened a bolt on a metal piece under the dash and ran the green wire to that bolt and tightened it down. basically all you have to do is ground out the green wire and you will have all functions to your dvd and nav unit while driving. hooking it up to the parking brake is just hooking it up to a circut...p brake on=circut closed/on. p brake off = circut open/off. or if you want a toggle switch...just run the green wire to the switch and a wire from the switch to a metal ground in your truck somewhere.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:01 PM   #10
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodhound View Post
Thanks for the link, I'll check them out and try to figure this out before my install kit comes in.
Make sure you search until your fingertips are bloody before you ask a question on that forum. I've seen threads where they flame you hard for asking a question that you could have searched for but would have taken hours to find.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:42 AM   #11
Space For Rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maticuno View Post
Make sure you search until your fingertips are bloody before you ask a question on that forum. I've seen threads where they flame you hard for asking a question that you could have searched for but would have taken hours to find.

I've been reading the same from other websites about avic and their search nazis...