Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2010 Tacoma: Water on Passenger Floorboard

Old 04-17-2011, 07:21 AM   #1
ChRis. is on a distinguished road
ChRis.'s Tacoma Gallery
2010 Tacoma: Water on Passenger Floorboard

Hello Guys,

I actually don't own a Tacoma but my dad just bought a Super White 2010 Tacoma Double Cab with a short bed last week. It also has the TRD off road sport with the extra value package and came with a Leer 100R cap.

We bought/financed it from a Ford dealer. From what I know, it was a traded in for the new 2011 Ford Explorer. However, the Tacoma only had 1,980 miles on it! So it's basically new.

I also ran a InstaVIN check/report and the truck is clean. Nothing reported except being registered to the first owner. The report also mentioned the truck was made in Baja California, Mexico (did not know it was made in Mexico).

Well, we have been getting quite some rain here in the Northeast since we got the truck and the passenger floorboard gets wet after it rains. If you press down on it, your hands will get damp/soaked. It appears dry initially but it only gets wet spots when your press down on it.

I also hear water "sloshing" when I tap/bang the floorboard "hump" right under the shift lever area.

I did remove the kick panel and door sill plastics to lift up the carpet. It mainly seems that the carpet sponge/matting absorbs the water and sits there when it rains.

I've read about the cowl issue and how the A/C duct can intake water if there is a leak at the bottom of the windshield. I actually did a quick fix and put a piece of foil over the duct to see if the problem would go away (did leave a small gap/hole for air intake).

Now, we just had a big rain storm all day yesterday and I checked the carpet just this morning. What do you know, it's wet. I also looked at the door panel and the speaker cover has water droplets on it. The door sill plastic also has water droplets on it.

I'm thinking that maybe the A/C duct isn't the issue and that the door/window seals are possibly bad?

The frustrating part about this situation is that we have owned Toyota's for many years (91 and 92 Camry, 02 4Runner). None of them really had major issues like this new Tacoma. My dad even still has temporary plates on the Tacoma and it already has an issue.

I told my dad to stop by the Toyota service center tomorrow to get it fixed. It should be covered under the 3 year/36,000 mile warranty correct?

What do you guys suggest?

Thanks in advance,

Chris
Old 04-17-2011, 07:31 AM   #2
mandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud of

mandzach's Tacoma Gallery
I believe this is from the fresh air vents allowing rain inside. Read about it before.

Should be covered under warranty if the Dealer is not a jerk.

Before you bring it in for service I would find out if their is an existing TSB for this problem.

That way you are going in armed and it would be Very hard for Dealer to deny coverage.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:33 AM   #3
ChRis.'s Tacoma Gallery
Is this the vent that is located under the hood cowl? If so, I did try to fix the issue with a piece of foil to cover the vent prior to it raining yesterday.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:50 AM   #4
looneytunemagoun is on a distinguished road
Name: james
looneytunemagoun's Tacoma Gallery
that happen to me put hood up nere the fire wall the rubber was of a little bit fixed it and no more water in on the passner floor
Old 04-17-2011, 07:08 PM   #5
ChRis.'s Tacoma Gallery
So it just rained a short bit just now and my dad climbed in the truck to see if he can spot some leaks.

He actually saw water dripping down the side of the dash/glove box where the plastics are right on top of the kick panel.

I'm assuming the door or roof drainage has bad weather seals. Or possibly the windshield wasn't sealed properly.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:27 PM   #6
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
"It also has the TRD off road sport..."

Huh?

Off Road= normal hood, locking rear differential, chrome bumper, 16" wheels, 'Off Road' TRD decal

Sport= scoop in the hood, no locker, painted bumper, 17" wheels, 'Sport' TRD decal
Old 04-17-2011, 08:04 PM   #7
ChRis.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
"It also has the TRD off road sport..."

Huh?

Off Road= normal hood, locking rear differential, chrome bumper, 16" wheels, 'Off Road' TRD decal

Sport= scoop in the hood, no locker, painted bumper, 17" wheels, 'Sport' TRD decal
He has the sport.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:07 PM   #8
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChRis. View Post
He has the sport.
Cool , welcome Chris

Check that there is no debris clogging the area directly below the windshield wipers

If that is not your problem , and it sounds like you have ruled that out , it would seem to be the windshield seals .
Old 04-19-2011, 09:04 PM   #9
ChRis.'s Tacoma Gallery
My dad brought the truck to Toyota and it's being worked on no questions asked under the warranty. The service center also found two additional recalls after typing in the VIN and they are correcting those issues as well.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:12 AM   #10
no mods is one of the sharper tools in the shedno mods is one of the sharper tools in the shedno mods is one of the sharper tools in the shedno mods is one of the sharper tools in the shedno mods is one of the sharper tools in the shedno mods is one of the sharper tools in the shedno mods is one of the sharper tools in the shedno mods is one of the sharper tools in the shedno mods is one of the sharper tools in the shedno mods is one of the sharper tools in the shedno mods is one of the sharper tools in the shed
no mods's Tacoma Gallery
What was the actual problem? I'm experiencing same phantom leak
Old 04-28-2011, 04:00 AM   #11
ChRis.'s Tacoma Gallery
It ended up being the windshield seal along the passenger side. They ended up removing the weather stripping and re-sealing the windshield. The whole interior floor carpet was also replaced under warranty.

If you have a 2010 model, they also did two other safety recalls on the truck. One was the accelerator pedal and other was a drive shaft inspection.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:35 AM   #12
O.C. is on a distinguished road

O.C.'s Tacoma Gallery
Glad to hear Toyota made good with no questions asked. Where in CT?
Old 04-28-2011, 04:59 AM   #14
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It ended up being the windshield seal along the passenger side. They ended up removing the weather stripping and re-sealing the windshield. The whole interior floor carpet was also replaced under warranty.

If you have a 2010 model, they also did two other safety recalls on the truck. One was the accelerator pedal and other was a drive shaft inspection.
You might get banned for mentioning the accelerator pedal TSB here Not very popular on this board.

Especially since the latest report I saw on CNN (about 2 months ago?) pretty much exonerated Toyota from that whole 'unintended acceleration problem.

But, in the end, there's not much difference to the pedal, especially since i doubt he's gotten used to the feel of it (being a new, to him, vehicle)
Old 04-28-2011, 07:19 AM   #15
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I have a 2010, and the only 'recall' I have gotten was to 'saw off' (change) the bottom of the gas pedal (which I decline) for people who want to put two or more floor mats under it!
Old 04-29-2011, 04:18 AM   #16
ChRis.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. View Post
Glad to hear Toyota made good with no questions asked. Where in CT?
It was Greentree Toyota Service center in Brookfield, CT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch aka View Post
Hi Chris, here is a link for you that might help.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-solution.html
Thanks for that. I actually looked at that and tried to fix the issue with aluminum foil. But after it had rained, water was still coming in so that was not the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
You might get banned for mentioning the accelerator pedal TSB here Not very popular on this board.

Especially since the latest report I saw on CNN (about 2 months ago?) pretty much exonerated Toyota from that whole 'unintended acceleration problem.

But, in the end, there's not much difference to the pedal, especially since i doubt he's gotten used to the feel of it (being a new, to him, vehicle)
Oh wow. I hope I don't get banned. I read that on CNN also a while back. It pretty much put a smack into the face of those parties making the issue a big deal. I personally don't believe there are anything wrong with Toyota's in regards to accelerator pedals.

I guess the only complaint my dad has is the DBW throttle system. He says it's far less responsive than our 2002 4Runner which has the old fashioned cable throttle system.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:31 AM   #17
no mods is one of the sharper tools in the shedno mods is one of the sharper tools in the shedno mods is one of the sharper tools in the shedno mods is one of the sharper tools in the shedno mods is one of the sharper tools in the shedno mods is one of the sharper tools in the shedno mods is one of the sharper tools in the shedno mods is one of the sharper tools in the shedno mods is one of the sharper tools in the shedno mods is one of the sharper tools in the shedno mods is one of the sharper tools in the shed
no mods's Tacoma Gallery
Water problem solved: for me it was my hammered in pinch welds in the fender well. Apparently between the sledge and the grinder I compromised the seam sealer near the kick panels. Lesson learned.